Contact
 
 
County
Jefferson
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 13,040
2000 Census - 13,601
Nearby
Towns
Port Neches, Texas
null
Port Neches Texas History:
The Port Neches area was originally the site of an Atakapa Indian village; Indian relics were excavated in 1841. In the 1830s Thomas F. McKinney platted a town he called Georgia. The town did not develop and he sold two-thirds of his league to Joseph Grigsby in 1837. Grigsby and his family established a plantation on a bluff overlooking the Neches River; it became an important landing for Neches River traffic. In 1856 John T. Johnson and Samuel Remley established a gristmill and steam sawmill nearby. In 1862 Confederate troops constructed Fort Grigsby to block a possible Union thrust up the Nueces River; they successfully repulsed Union forces in October 1862, and abandoned the fort in January 1863. In 1866 George F. Block built a shingle mill. The post office was established in 1859. After closing during the Civil War, it reopened in 1877. It closed again in 1893. In 1880 approximately 50 people lived at Grigsby’s Bluff. Until 1915 the main industries were rice farming and orange orchards. In 1902, the Port Neches townsite was established at the new Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad stop, and the Central Asphalt Company established a plant near Grigsby’s Bluff. The Texas Company (later renamed Texaco) purchased the plant in 1906 and renovated it to use for the oil industry. Port Neches incorporated in 1927. Port Neches is located on the Neches River approximately 5 miles north of the Intracoastal Waterway on SH 347, FM 365, and FM 366, 23.5 miles north of Sabine Pass, 7 miles northwest of Port Arthur, 10 miles southeast of Beaumont, 20.5 miles southwest of Orange, 12 miles southwest of Bridge City, and adjacent to Groves and Nederland, Texas.
 
1810 La Maison Beausoleil House & Cypress Barn Museum:
The house is named after Joseph Dit Beausoleil. Along with other Acadian families and Indians of the region of Nova Scotia, Canada, he fought a guerilla type war against the English after the start of the deportation in 1755. The children of Joseph’s direct descendants, Martin Broussard and Editha Bourque, donated the house to Les Acadians Du Texas, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the culture and language of the Acadian people. The Acadians are the descendants of the 17th century French colonists who settled in Arcadia, an area that includes Canadian Maritime provinces Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and also includes the state of Maine. The settlers whose descendants became Acadians came from many different areas in France. The La Maison Beausoleil, an authentic Cajun house, was built out of Cypress trees in St. Martin Parish Louisiana in 1810. It was transported via barge down the Vermilion River south to the Intracoastal Canal, then west into the Neches River to Port Neches Riverfront Park. In October 1990, the Les Acadians Du Texas obtained an old cypress barn near Xaplan, Louisiana. This barn was dismantled and rebuilt near the house. The house and barn complex features artifacts and farming equipment used by the Acadians. Open Sat-Sun, 1pm-5pm, and by special appointment. Admission is free. (409) 722-1688. (409) 722-9554. (409) 832-6733.
 
Effie & Wilton Hebert Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 8:30am-8:30pm; Fri, 9am-5pm; Sun, 2:30pm-8:30pm. (409) 722-4554. 2025 Merriman Street, 77651.
 
Wright Building Senior Citizen's Center & Event Venue:
The Center offers activities, classes, birthday celebrations, seasonal parties, lunches, transportation within the city limits of Port Neches, AARP defensive driving courses, health programs and needs assistance for seniors. The building is available for event rentals. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm. (409) 727-8650. The Center is located 1006 Port Neches Avenue.
 
Port Neches Avenue Trade Days, Third Weekend of Every Month:
This event is held on Port Neches Avenue. Vendors: (409) 722-4023.
 
Annual Port Neches RiverFest, End of April-Early May:
Activities at this four day event include “Thunder on the Neches” tunnel boat racing, live music, food and arts and crafts vendors, a carnival, a flea market, washer and horseshoe tournaments, a fishing tournament, Battle of the Bands, fireworks, a talent show, a car and motorcycle show, pet show, a fun run, Mother of the Year award and children’s activities. (409) 722-9154. This event is held at Port Neches Riverfront Park at 620 Grigsby Avenue, 77651.
 
Port Neches Christmas Parade, First Saturday of Dec:
The parade is held on Port Neches Avenue at 2pm. (409) 722-9155.
 
Mike's Old Fashioned Soda Fountain:
(409) 985-5194. 1302 Port Neches Avenue.
 
Billy Joe's Bar-B-Que:
(409) 727-1482. 2029 Magnolia Avenue. Reviews  
 
Joe's Italian Kitchen:
They serve very good pizza. (409) 727-3961. 2839 Nall Street. Reviews
 
La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant:
(409) 729-2500. 2337 Nederland Avenue. Reviews