Contact
 
 
County
Martin
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 2,492
2000 Census - 2,556
Nearby
Towns
Stanton, Texas
null
Stanton Texas History:
In 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through the small settlement of Grelton and established a two story section house and a pump and water tank at the site. John Jacob Konz established a German Catholic settlement of Kansas immigrants at the site. Charles Froesee surveyed town lots. The first buildings were built in late 1881. A store was built in 1882, and the post office was established in 1883. In 1885, town lots were sold and the railroad renamed the community Marienfeld. By the end of the year, the town had a courthouse, a jail, a hotel, several stores, a wagon yard and a school. Father Anastasius built a two story adobe monastery for the Carmelite Order. The priests traveled to other nearby towns to say Mass. In 1886, the Sisters of Mercy opened the Convent and Academy of Our Lady of Mercy which for years was the only Catholic school between Fort Worth and El Paso. The nuns opened schools and hospitals in Big Spring, Pecos and other West Texas towns. The area was primarily a ranching area until the Texas and Pacific established a 20 acre demonstration farm and sold farmland to settlers. After the draught and blizzards of 1886-1887, many of the Catholic settlers moved to Big Spring, and the new settlers arriving over the next decade were primarily Protestants. Farming ground almost to a standstill for the next six years. In 1890, the town was renamed Stanton, a name chosen by the public school students. In 1897, Father Anastasius Peters moved the monastery to Mansfield, Louisiana. By 1905, Stanton was a major commercial and shipping point for area ranchers and farmers. In 1910, corn was the area’s major crop. By 1920, cotton was the major crop. Stanton incorporated in 1925. In 1951, the Stanton oil field opened. The Texas and Pacific Railroad discontinued service to Stanton in 1977. Today, the town’s primary industries are ranching, farming and oil related services.        
Stanton is located at the intersection of IH-20 (North Front Street) and SH 137 (Mustang Draw), 41 miles northeast of Odessa, 19.4 miles northeast of Midland, 82 miles southeast of Seminole, 54 miles southeast of Andrews, 68 miles southwest of Snyder, 58 miles southwest of the J.B. Thomas Reservoir, 45 miles southeast of Lamesa, 106 miles south of Lubbock, 68 miles southwest of Snyder, 60 miles southwest of Gail, 59 miles southwest of Colorado City, 20 miles southwest of Big Spring, and 32 miles northwest of Garden City, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
 Historic Millhollon House, 1907:
Cattle ranchers J.E. and Nettie Millhollon acquired this homestead and 34 sections of land. N.M. Hunt of Big Spring built the house for them in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Mike Hull began restorations in 1971. Today Norman Wright is continuing the restorations.
 
Historic Carmelite Monastery and Our Lady of Mercy Academy, 1884:
The first Catholic Church established between Fort Worth and El Paso was established by Carmelite Monks in 1881. They completed the adobe and brick monastery in 1884 and the St. Joseph’s Church in 1885. The Sisters of Mercy established the Our Lady of Mercy Academy. It soon closed and was reopened by the Sisters of Mercy in 1894. When the Carmelite Monks disbanded in 1897, they sold the property to the Sisters of Mercy who operated the convent and academy until 1938 when a tornado damaged the buildings. Remains include the intact convent dormitory, the other building ruins, and the cemetery. The exterior of the convent has been restored. The Martin County Convent Foundation is seeking grant money to restore the interior. Restoration Website   
 
Martin County Courthouse, 1975:
This modern courthouse was designed by architects Riherd & Huckabee. The beautiful 1908 courthouse  was demolished to make room for the new courthouse. The columns and silver dome were used to build an interesting looking gazebo on the southwest corner of the courthouse square. The 2010 Martin County census was 4,799. (432) 756-2231. 301 North Saint Peter Street.  
 
Stanton County Jail, 1880s:
The old courthouse included a jail. When the courthouse was torn down in 1908, the jail’s holding cells were kept and this jail was built around them. The sheriff’s family living quarters were in the building. The jail has served as a museum and as a library.
 
Martin County Historical Museum in the 1882 Connell House:
The museum is housed in the two room house Connell House. The house was built for the Carmelite priests, and was the first building in Stanton. Dennis and Mary Connell purchased the home in 1902. When the last daughter died in 1990, the house was transferred to the Martin County Historical Museum. Additions were added by 1915, and in the 1920s and 1930s. The museum is open Mon-Fri, 12:30pm-5:30pm. (432) 756-2722. 207 East Broadway Street.
 
Martin County Senior Citizens Center:
The center is located in the 1881 Texas & Pacific Railroad depot. Call one day in advance prior to 4pm for meal reservations. Guests under 60 years of age are charged $7 a plate. Guest over 60 and their spouses make a suggested donation of $3. (432) 756-2791.
 
Event Venue - Martin County Community Center:
(432) 756-2231. 301 North Saint Teresa Street.
 
Event Venue - Martin County Arena:
The arena is located on Business IH-20. (432) 756-2231. The onsite pay phone number is (432) 756-8789.
 
Annual Old Sorehead Trade Days:
Over 30,000 visitors attend ‘trade days’ weekend. Activities include indoor and outdoor shopping at over 600 booths, live entertainment, a good food court, and other activities; most vendors do not accept credit or debit cards and the ATM runs out of cash during most events. Trade days are held on the second weekends in April, June and October. (432) 756-2206.