Contact
 
 
County
Ochiltree
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 8,802
2000 Census - 7,774
Nearby
Towns
Perryton, Texas
null
Perryton Texas History:
In 1907, the remains of a buried Indian settlement were discovered eighteen miles southeast of Perryton. An archeological investigation began in 1919. Perryton was founded in 1919 on the new Spearman branch of the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. It was designated the county seat that same year. Many residents of nearby communities moved to Perryton to be closer to the railroad. By the next year it had approximately 2,000 residents. Businessmen Charles E. Whippo and Fremont Mead built modern water and electrical plants, which they later sold to the city. The town became a retail and shipping center for area farmers. By 1925, it had five grain elevators. Because Perryton was a designated mailing station between Amarillo and Wichita, Kansas, an airport was constructed near the city dump in 1932. The airport became known as the "Sewer-Side Airport." In the 1950s, oil was discovered nearby, adding the oil and gas industries to its economic base. By the 1980s, industries included creameries, oilfield services and equipment manufacturing, a trailer manufacturer, farm-machinery distributors, and cattle feedlots. Perryton is known as the home of Hank the Cow Dog, the lovable character in the series of books by award winning Perryton author, John R. Erickson. Perryton is located a few miles south of the Oklahoma border at the intersections of U.S. 83 (Main Street), SH 143 and SH 15, 26.5 miles northeast of Spearman, 45 miles northwest of Lipscomb, 46 miles northwest of Canadian, 64 miles northwest of Pampa, 91 miles northeast of Panhandle, and 68 miles northeast of Borger, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Ochiltree County Courthouse, 1928:
The brick, steel and concrete courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance by the architectural firm   Mann & Company. A 1974 addition obscured the original south side entrance and half of the back portion of the building. Evidences of pre-Columbian Indian habitation on Wolf Creek were discovered with the excavations of the "Buried City" in Ochiltree County. The Coronado expedition is thought to have come by the stream on its way to Quiviraqv in 1541, and Juan de Oñate's expedition reportedly camped there in 1601. The 2010 Ochiltree County census was 10,333. (806) 435-8031. 511 South Main Street, Perryton, TX 79070.  
 
Historic Buried City:
The “Buried City” is not an actual city, but is one of the most densely settled archeological districts in the Southern Plains. Located within a few short miles of the Wolf Creek valley are more than 100 known habitation sites with the remains of houses built mainly by Plains Villagers from A.D. 1200 to A.D. 1400. It is thought that other pit houses lie buried within the Wolf Creek Valley. The people of the Buried City practiced horticulture, growing corn and probably squash, beans, and other crops. They harvested wild fruits, seeds, flowers, and other plant foods. They also hunted buffalo, deer and other game. Anglo settlers were aware of these archeological sites along Wolf Creek in the 1880s. In 1906, Canadian Academy student Floyd Studer began encouraging his natural history professor, T.L. Eyerly, to take the class there on a field trip. Eyerly did so in March, 1907. Jessie Walter Fewkes of the Bureau of American Ethnology at the Smithsonian Institution paid a brief visit to Buried City in 1914 or 1915. Many others have continued to investigate the Wolf Creek area. The Perryton Museum of the Plains contains artifacts from these buried cities.  
 
Wolf Creek & Archeological Artifacts:
Wolf Creek rises at the junction of its main and south forks in central Ochiltree County and flows east seventy miles across Lipscomb County, Texas, and central Ellis and northwestern Woodward County, Oklahoma, to its mouth on the Canadian River. Evidences of pre-Columbian Indian habitation on Wolf Creek were discovered with the excavations of the "Buried City" in Ochiltree County. The Coronado expedition is thought to have come by the stream on its way to Quiviraqv in 1541, and Juan de Oñate's expedition reportedly camped there in 1601. The Wolf Creek Dam and Lake were washed away by floodwaters in 1947. Lake Fryer, located 15 miles southeast of Perryton, was impounded on Wolf Creek in 1939. Abundant evidence of occupation by prehistoric people near Lake Fryer has been unearthed in a buried Pueblo city. The Perryton Museum of the Plains contains artifacts from these buried cities.
 
Museum of the Plains:
The museum complex contains a Natural History Museum, the Brillhart Room, the Great hall, the Depot, the General Store, the Gary Gray Church, the Norwood House, the main museum building, and the courtyard. The main museum building features a huge antique bottle collection, vintage furnishings, early religious furnishings and artifacts, antique toys and dolls, musical instruments, glassware, and the furnished Allen Room. The Great Hall displays an office, a bank teller’s station, a soda fountain counter, farming and ranching equipment, and an impressive number of vintage buggies, wagons, tractors, fire trucks, and autos. The Brillhart Room is furnished with tables and chairs, paintings and a refrigerator. The historic Depot displays office equipment, telegraph equipment, pioneer furnishings, and vintage household goods and appliances. The General Store is furnished with vintage grocery items, containers, cash registers, scales and other grocery equipment. Norwood House is furnished with period furnishings and accessories. The Natural History Museum features natural history displays including Ochiltree County archaeological finds such as an arrowhead collection. The Museum of the Plains Sculpture Trail is located in the Courtyard. The Museum of the Plains Pioneer Days Celebration is held in August in conjunction with the Wheatheart of the Nation Celebration. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, 1pm-5pm. (806)-435-6400. 1200 N. Main Street (U.S. 83). Email  Facilities Map  
 
Frank Phillips Community College, Allen Campus:
(806) 648-1450. 2314 South Jefferson, Perryton.
 
Perry Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon & Thu, 9:30am-8:pm; Tue-Wed, 9:30am-5:30pm; Fri, 9:30am-5pm; sat, 9:30am-1pm; closed Sundays. (806) 435-5801. 22 Southeast 5th Avenue. Email