Dallas, Rockwall
Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 56,199
2000 Census - 44,503
Rowlett, Texas
Rowlett Texas History:
In 1836, Kentuckian Dr. Daniel Rowlett moved to Texas and later purchased a large tract of land on a creek in Collin County. The creek and the community that developed were both named Rowlett. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad began providing service to the community in 1886. The Rowlett post office was established in 1889. By 1892, the town had a general store, a mill, a cotton gin and approximately 200 residents. Rowlett incorporated in 1952 when it had ten businesses and approximately 250 residents. The 1971 completion of Lake Ray Hubbard caused rapid growth. The town has over 30 miles of lake shoreline. Rowlett is bordered on the east and south by Lake Ray Hubbard and on the west by Rowlett Creek. Rowlett is located at the intersection of the President George Bush Turnpike and SH 66, 36 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 32 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, 18 miles northeast of Dallas, 39 miles east of Grapevine, 34 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 12 miles southeast of Richardson, 5 miles southeast of Garland, 28 miles southeast of McKinney, 7.5 miles southeast of Sachse, 38 miles southwest of Greenville, 10 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 19 miles southwest of Royse City, 7 miles southwest of Rockwall, 27 miles west of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 39 miles northwest of Kaufman, 25 miles northwest of Terrell, and 14 miles northeast of Mesquite, Texas.
Historic City of Rowlett, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Rowlett was first known as Morris, the name given to the post office that was established here in 1880. Austin Morris served as the first postmaster. In 1889, three years after the Greenville & Dallas Railroad (later the MK&T) was built through town, the post office's name was changed to Rowlett. Although the origin of the name is not clear, it may have come from Daniel Owen Rowlett, an early Texas settler who was a surveyor for Mercer's Colony. By the turn of the century, Rowlett had two doctors, a cotton gin, three general stores, a barber shop, blacksmith shop, two churches, a depot, and the post office. Additionally, by 1912 it boasted a bank, a telephone exchange, and a two-story school building. Many more businesses, including a newspaper (the "Rowlett News"), had begun in the town by 1937. The citizens of Rowlett voted to incorporate in 1952, and growth has continued throughout the 20th century. Lake Ray Hubbard, Dallas' chief source of water, was completed in 1971 and borders Rowlett on its east, south, and west sides. The history of the northeastern Dallas County town is a good reflection of the settlement patterns in this part of the state.” The marker is located at 4000 Main Street.
Historic Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Second Catholic Church organized in Dallas County, Sacred Heart owes its origins to the devotion of an Irishman, Patrick McEntee (1846 - 1921), who came to Texas in 1874. Farmer and merchant, McEntee helped build the railroad in this area. Tradition holds that services were conducted at his home before this church was built. The parish's first baptism in 1898 was that of his grandchild. McEntee provided the land for Sacred Heart Church and cemetery. Built in 1899, this structure was dedicated in 1900 by Bishop E. J. Dunne. The thirteen stained glass windows were reputedly imported from Germany as memorial tributes. One near the altar was donated by Bishop Dunne. In 1922 parishioners resolved that their building should face the new Bankhead Highway. They turned it around and reset it on the original foundation. The cedars backing the church once stood in front. Ladies of the Altar Society raised the funds for substantial remodeling of the Gothic Revival style edifice in 1955-56. Population loss threatened to close the church, but the membership grew as newcomers settled in the community. Weekly mass is celebrated now for a fellowship which includes descendants of the earliest families.” The marker is located at 3905 Hickox Road.
Veteran's Park& Veterans Memorial, 1 Acre:
Amenities include a Veterans Memorial, seating, fountains and landscaping. The park is located on Main Street.
Historic Coyle Farmstead:
J.E. Coyle and his family moved to Rowlett in 1850 where he farmed, raised cattle, and operated a cotton gin. The farmhouse was built in 1918 at 4822 Main Street. In 1927, he converted his steam powered cotton gin to electricity and provided to the downtown area. The farmhouse and several outbuildings were moved to its present location in January 2009. The house is eligible for listing on the National Register of Hisoric Places. This farmstead is located in Pecan Grove Park at 5300 Main Street, adjacent to the Rowlett Community Center. 5300 Main Street. Email
Amateur Community Theatre of Rowlett:
Join the email list to receive updates on auditions and show dates. (972) 463-4880. 4113 Main Street. Email  Facebook
Rowlett Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, movie and audio book rentals, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9:30am-8:30pm; Fri & Sat, 9:30am-5:30pm. (972) 412-6161. 3900 Main Street. Email