Wallisville Texas History:
In 1825 Elisha Henry Roberts Wallis settled his family at Wallis Hill just east of the current townsite. The captured Mexican dictator General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
was held prisoner at the Wallis family home on December 1, 1836, while in route to Washington, D.C. Wallis’ sons, Daniel and Solomon, platted 18 blocks of the Wallisville townsite in 1854. The Wallisville post office was established in 1857. Wallisville was the Chambers County Seat from 1858 to 1908. It served as a principal steamboat landing on the Trinity River through 1877. Attempts to attract the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in 1858 failed. Lumbering and shipbuilding were the town’s primary industries until the 1915 hurricane destroyed the lumber mills. The last shipyard was built in the early 1940s. Wallisville is located on IH-10 on the east side of the Trinity River. It is surrounded by many bodies of water including Lake Charlotte and Lake Miller to the north, Lost Lake to the northwest, Old River Lake and Round Lake to the southwest, and Lake Anahuac and the City of Anahuac 9.8 miles to the southeast. It is located 19.2 miles northeast of Baytown, 27.5 miles northeast of La Port, 36.9 miles northeast of Houston, 26 miles southeast of Dayton, 11.9 miles east of Mount Belvieu, 22.6 miles west of Winnie, 45.3 miles southwest of Beaumont, 32.4 miles north of Smith Point, and 41 miles northwest of High Island, Texas.
Wallisville Heritage Park:
The park features a museum building, archives of Chambers County history, a 200-book genealogy library and research center, and approximately 700 vertical files on Chambers County pioneer families. The museum features artifacts of the Spanish Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz and Presidio San Augustin de Ahumada (1756-1771) including saddle making tools and hardware. The adjacent 1869 school houses the genealogy library and research center. This place is laid back; park director Kevin Ladd says many people visit the library on a regular basis, bringing a cooler and lunch (the museum has a small kitchen for dining). Open Mon-Sat, 8am-5pm. (409) 389-2252. The museum is located at Exit 807 on IH 10 in Wallisville.
Wallisville Community Building, Chambers County:
Amenities include the reservable community building and a basketball court. (409) 267-2560. The building is located at 524 Number 9 Road, Wallisville, 77597.
Annual Old River Winfree Founders Day in Old River-Winfree, 2nd Saturday in Oct:
Activities include the Texas Trail Ride, a 5K Run/Walk, a dog parade, a motorcycle parade contest, the Children’s Patriotic Parade, free bingo for senior citizens, cake, cupcake and pie bale-offs, a gumbo cook-off, live and silent auctions, art contests for K-6th
grade, free children’s rides and activities, a photography contest, a duck calling contest, historical exhibits, a historical reenactment, and live music. (281) 385-1735. This event s held at the Old River Community Building at 4818 FM 565 North in Old River-Winfree. Email