Contact
 
 
County
Zapata
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 853
Nearby
Towns
San Ygnacio, Texas
null
San Ygnacio Texas History:
The town was established on a bluff overlooking the Rio Grande River in 1830 by former Revilla (now Nuevo Guerrero) resident Don Jesus Trevino on land that was originally granted by Col. Jose de Escandon to Jose Vazquez Borrego. It is one of 23 settlements founded by Escandon and is the oldest town in Zapata County. It was named for Saint Ignatius Loyola, the patron saint of Guerrero. Trevino built a one room sandstone home that is now known as Fort Trevino. By the 1850s San Ygnacio was an area trade center. The post office was established in 1876; it is now housed in the restored 1874 Trinidad Uribe house. During the early 1900s the town had several general stores, a post office and a drug store. In 1908 the town had 198 residents; by the late 1940s it had 225 residents. The town was originally included on the list of towns to be moved prior to impounding of the Falcon International Reservoir, but the town’s citizens successfully petitioned to have their town spared (not moved) on the grounds that they were high enough to escape flooding; the town escaped the initial flooding, and survived a flooding two years later. Scenes from the 1951 movie “Viva Zapata” were filmed in various locations including Roma and San Ygnacio. In 1972, the town was listed on the National Register of Historic Places; 36 of the town’s buildings (almost the whole town) are included in the district. The town has a beautiful central plaza called Blas Maria Uribe. San Ygnacio is located on U.S. 83, 35.6 miles southeast of Laredo, 44.6 miles northwest of Falcon Heights, and 14.4 miles northwest of Zapata, Texas.
 
San Ygnacio Historic District:
Along with Old Guerrero and Revilla, San Ygnacio was originally included on the list of towns to be moved prior to impounding of the Falcon International Reservoir, but the town’s citizens successfully petitioned to have their town spared (not moved) on the grounds that they were high enough to escape flooding; the town escaped the initial flooding, and survived a flooding two years later. Most of the town’s 36 buildings in the National Historic District were built in the same Spanish-Mexican style (sandstone and stucco) as those found in Old Guerrero and Revilla. They have been largely untouched by progress, and many have been beautifully restored. This historic district features narrow streets with raised sidewalks. It is bound by the Rio Grande River on the west, U.S. 83 on the east, Mina Street on the north, and Matamoros Street on the south.
 
Fort Trevino, 1830-1871:
In 1830 Jesus Trevino built a one room, 100 by 40 foot stone building with a south facing door to use as protection from Indians and as a place for him to stay when he visited his ranch. His daughter inherited the ranch after his death in 1843. From 1850 to 1854 his son in law, don Blas Maria Uribe, expanded this small fort by adding rooms on the river side, and building walls on the south, east and north sides; he also had a sundial set into the north wall of the fort. In 1871 he added another room on the northeast corner of the fort. On his death, the fort passed to his sons. In the late 1800s one of his son’s, Jose Dionicio Uribe, purchased his brother’s shares in the fort and became the sole owner of the fort; he made several modifications, including adding an enclosed kitchen adjacent to the original 1830 room. The fort is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original 1830 room has an earthen floor and a single exterior opening with a massive mesquite door mounted on pivots lined with leather; this is a favorite visitor attraction. It is currently owned by family heirs and by the River Pierce Foundation which is dedicated to the cultural and historic preservation of San Ygnacio. The fort is located at the intersection of Trevino and Uribe Streets. Historic Information  
 
San Jose de los Corralitos Fortified Ranch House:
Coahuila, Mexico rancher Jose Vazquez Borrego received the original Nuestra Senora de los Dolores land grant. On this land he founded the Nuestra Senora de los Dolores Hacienda, located a few miles north of present day San Ygnacio, Texas. He moved 23 families from Coahuila to help settle the area, and established a ferry business and successfully raised cattle, horses, mules and donkeys. In 1753, the Spanish crown gave Don Jose Fernando Vidaurri (Jose Vazquez Borrego’s grandson) a 350,000 acre land grant in an effort to keep title to the original Nuestra Senora de los Dolores land grant. Sometime later, Fernando built a one room house made of sandstone, mud mortar, mesquite, and Montezuma cypress. It had 33 inch thick walls, an 11 foot tall ceiling, one door, no windows, and six gun ports. The restored house is situated on the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is privately owned and is located on the San Jose de Los Corralitos Ranch, approximately 24 miles south of Laredo, and approximately 11 miles north of San Ygnacio, Texas. A replica of the house may be viewed at the National Ranching Heritage Center at Texas Tech University, 3121 Fourth Street, Lubbock, Texas 79409. (806) 742-0496.
 
Customs House, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This historic structure which served as a customs house from 1800 to 1869 is dedicated in honor and recognition of two centuries of service by men and women of the U.S. Customs Service. This contribution and sacrifice has played a significant role in the development of the United States of America and the protection of its citizens.” Customs House, Texas Historical Marker Text:
 
Nuestra Senora Del Refugio Catholic Church, 1875:
The church was designed in Spanish architectural style in sandstone covered in white plaster. It underwent major modifications in 1884, 1899 and in the 1960s. After a 1991 arson fire destroyed the altar and damaged the old statuary and the sacristy, many of the church’s beautiful original features were revealed. It was restored to its 1895 appearance in 1993. The church is located on the Plaza Blas Maria Uribe which is bounded by Washington and Grant Avenues and Gutierrez and Laredo Streets.
 
Plaza Blas Maria Uribe, 1874:
Established in 1874, the plaza is dominated by the Nuestra Senora Del Refugio Catholic Church and many historic buildings. The Plaza is bounded by Washington and Grant Avenues and Gutierrez and Laredo Streets.
 
River Pierce Foundation:
The foundation works to preserve the San Ygnacio’s historical buildings, and provides youth programs, environmental programs, and archeology and architectural training, workshops and fellowships. It also collects oral histories from area families, and offers an “International Artistsin ResidenceProgram” for visual artists, writers, poets and musicians. Guided tours will be available in the future. (956) 765-5784. Building
 
La Paz Museum:
The museum is located on the grounds of the Arturo L. Benavides Elementary School in the former 1898 home of Isidro and Margarita Gonzalez. The museum displays Mexican-American exhibits, Spanish artifacts, photos of Old Zapata (now under the Falcon Lake waters), antique ranch furniture, and early medical equipment and cooking utensils. Its certified Regional Heritage Resource Center contains books, genealogy informational and historic documents. Open Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4pm during the school year and by request. (956) 765-8312. 304 Lincoln Avenue, San Ygnacio.
 
Col. Antonio Zapata Museum:
Col Zapata was a Mexican native who became a successful military man, rancher and landholder. Exhibits include relics and historic artifacts depicting the history of the town going back to 1748, and nature displays. Call for current hours. (956) 765-3062. The museum is located at the corner of 6th Street and U.S. 83. 
 
Guadalupe & Lilia Martinez Zapata County Branch Library:  
The library offers a children’s section, an adult section, a genealogy department, a computer department and meeting rooms. Programs offered include Spanish lessons, computer classes, a Texas summer reading program, and Distance Learning Programs. Open Mon-Tue, 3pm-7pm; Wed-Thu, 3pm-6pm; Closed Friday-Sunday. (956) 765-8504. The branch library is located at 1103 North U.S. 83, San Ygnacio, TX 78067.
 
Martinez Civic Center:
The center is located adjacent to Lozano’s Store at the intersection of FM 3169 and U.S. 83 South. Precinct 2 Commissioner: (956) 744-1943.