2000 Census - 10,783
Snyder Texas History:
In 1878, buffalo hunter William Henry (Pete) Snyder built a trading post on the banks of Deep Creek. He was soon followed by other buffalo hunters who built buffalo hide lodging. Because of the criminal element the site attracted, it became known as "Hide Town," and "Robber's Roost." In 1882, Snyder platted a townsite. A school was established the same year. In 1884, Snyder was made county seat of the newly organized Scurry County. By 1892, the town had two churches, two banks, a steam gin, a gristmill, two weekly newspapers, and approximately 600 residents. The Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railway began servicing the town in about 1907, the same year the town incorporated. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway arrived in 1911. Until oil was discovered in 1948, the town remained a ranching and farming community. The oil discovery caused the population to triple from 4,000 to 12,000 within a year. After the oil boom ended in 1951, the town’s population stabilized at approximately 11,000 residents. In the fall of 1971, Western Texas College opened. Today, the town’s economy is largely based on farming and agriculture. The town is known as the “Land of the White Buffalo.” Snyder is located at the intersections of U.S. 84, SH 208 and U.S. 180, 63 miles east of Lamesa, 85 miles southeast of Lubbock, 44 miles southeast of Post, 31 miles southeast of Gail, 50 miles southwest of Jayton, 42 miles southwest of Rotan, 82 miles northwest of Abilene, 41 miles northwest of Sweetwater, 25 miles north of Colorado City, and 49 miles northeast of Big Spring, Texas.
Scurry County Courthouse, 1911:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas renaissance style by architects Lang and Witchell. The courthouse tower was removed in 1950. A 1972 remodeling job by architect Joseph D. Hinton included encasing the outside walls in marble and attaching granite pillars at intervals around the outside walls. Before the remodeling the courthouse resembled the 1911 Cooke County Courthouse which was also designed by Lang and Witchell. J. Wright Mooar killed one of the only 7 White Buffalo ever seen in the U.S. The original white buffalo hide is located on the Hays Ranch, the home of Mooar’s granddaughter, Judy Hays. A life-sized statute commemorating that white buffalo stands in the Scurry County courthouse lawn. Beneath the statue is a historical marker commemorating J. Wright Mooar. The 2010 Scurry County census was 16,921. (325) 573-8576. 1806 25th Street.
Scurry County Jail, 1912:
The original crenellated towers were removed, and the original brick exterior was plastered over. The jail was used until 1978. The jail is located one block southwest of the courthouse