Contact
 
 
County
Ellis
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 21,426
Nearby
Towns
Waxahachie, Texas
null
Waxahachie Texas History:
Waxahachie was founded in 1850 as the county seat of the newly established Ellis County. The townsite was donated by pioneer settler Emory W. Rogers. The courthouse was built and the post office was established that same year. By 1870, Waxahachie had several churches, a school, general stores, a bank and a newspaper. The town incorporated in 1871. In 1875, investors in the Waxahachie Tap Railroad were granted a charter to construct a line between Waxahachie and Garrett, twelve miles to the east. The line was completed in 1879. Waxahachie became a shipping center for the areas farmers. The expansion of the farming industry and the arrival of additional rail lines over the years allowed rapid community growth. In 1880, the town had 1,354 residents. In 1881, the town received a railroad connection to Fort Worth. Six years later the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad built through Waxahachie further helping the town’s growth; railroad lines were vital to the growth of small Texas towns prior to construction of the state highway system. Trinity University moved to Waxahachie from Tehuacana in 1902 and operated there until 1942. The Southwestern Assemblies of God University now occupies the Trinity University buildings. IN 1920, Waxahachie had three banks, three cottonseed oil mills, five cotton gins, over 200 businesses and 7,958 residents. Waxahachie’s economic base has diversified to include manufacturing industries. Waxahachie has been nicknamed the Gingerbread City because of the architecture of several late 1800s homes and buildings. An annual Gingerbread Trail includes Victorian-style gingerbread houses, Queen Ann's, and Roman Doric revival style buildings. Waxahachie is located at the intersections of IH-35/U.S. 77, U.S. 287, FM 878, FM 879 and FM 66, 66 miles northeast of Waco, 44.5 miles northeast of Whitney and Lake Whitney, 47.6 miles northeast of West, 33 miles northeast of Hillsboro, 38.5 miles northeast of Cleburne and Lake Pat Cleburne, 49 miles southeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 43 miles southeast of Fort Worth, 37 miles southeast of Arlington and Lake Arlington, 33 miles southeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek Lake, 24 miles southeast of Cedar Hill and Joe Pool Lake, 25 miles southeast of Mansfield, 20 miles southeast of Venus, 13 miles southeast of Midlothian, 16.5 miles south of Desoto, 31.6 miles southwest of Dallas, 16 miles southwest of Lancaster, 59 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 50 miles southwest of Lake Ray Hubbard, 37 miles southwest of Mesquite, 41 miles southwest of Kaufman, 47 miles northwest of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 49 miles northwest of Dawson and Navarro Mills Lake, 36 miles northwest of Corsicana and the Richland Creek Reservoir, 15.5 miles northwest of Bardwell and Bardwell Lake, and 15 miles northwest of Ennis, Texas.
 
Ellis County Courthouse, 1897:  
The courthouse was designed in Romanesque Revival style in famed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon. The “Pecos” sandstone used in construction was obtained from the Quito Rock Quarry in Ward County, 5 miles east of Barstow. Ellis County is one of about 40 Texas courthouses with a genuine clock tower. Nineteen of these were built in the 1890's. The four faced clock by E. Howard and Co. had a windup weight of 250 pounds, a bell striking weight of 800 pounds and a connecting steel cable 212 feet long. Like others of its kind, the clock is now powered by electricity. In addition to the courthouse, A Civil War Monument, the Richard Ellis statue, the old county office building and many historical markers are located on the square. The Courthouse Park features a rest area, an ATM, an information kiosk and restrooms; it is located across the street from the courthouse. The courthouse is one of the most photographed courthouses in Texas. It is a Texas Historical Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. (972) 825-5000. 101 W. Main Street, 75165.
 
Historic Ellis County Jail, 1888:
This imposing brick building was the county’s third jail. The jail is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It now houses a private business. The jail is located a block from the courthouse at the intersection of Rogers and Water Streets.
 
Historic MKT Depot, 1908:
The City of Waxahachie purchased the depot in 2008. The depot restoration was completed in 2010. It hosts the annual March Model Train Show. 501 South Rogers Street. The depot is located behind city hall.