Contact
 
 
County
Freestone
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,560
2000 Census - 4,557
Nearby
Towns
Teague, Texas
null
Teague Texas History:
Settlers began arriving to the area around the time of the Civil War (1861-1865). The community of Brewer developed in the late 1800s. In 1906, the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway built through the county and located its machine and car shops at Brewer. The town was a shipping center for cotton. During the early 1900s, Teague was a major train stop for the Trinity & Brazos Valley Railroad on its runs between Houston and Fort Worth. The railroad line was nicknamed the “Boll Weevil” line after the cotton crop pests. The town was renamed Teague after Betty Teague, niece of a railroad magnate. Teague incorporated in 1906. By 1914, Teague had several churches, an electric light plant, an ice plant, three banks, two cotton gins, a cottonseed oil mill, a cotton compress, newspapers, and 3,300 residents. During the Great Depression and the resulting fall in cotton prices, Teague began a slow decline. The town did not begin to grow again until the 1980s.Teague is located at the intersections of U.S. 84, SH 179, and FM 1365, FM 80, and FM 1451, 34 miles northwest of Centerville, 19.5 miles northwest of Buffalo, 55 miles northeast of Waco, 34.6 miles northeast of Thornton, 23 miles northeast of Groesbeck, 13.7 miles northeast of Mexia, 60 miles southeast of Hillsboro, 43 miles southeast of Corsicana, 21 miles southeast of Wortham, 24.6 miles southeast of Streetman and the Richland Chambers Reservoir & WMA, 46 miles southeast of Palestine, and 10 miles southwest of Fairfield Lake State Park and Fairfield, Texas.
 
Historic Town of Teague, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1905 this town was a drowsy country village called Brewer-- named for 1835 land grantee Green Berry Brewer. It had been settled in the 1870s. Prosperity rolled into Brewer in 1906, however, when the Trinity & Brazos Valley Railroad selected it as site for the railroad shops and as the main division point between Houston and Fort Worth, the town was speedily renamed for the Teague family, relatives of noted railroad builder B. F. Yoakum. In August, 1906, promoters held a town lot sale. Customers arriving on a special train were met by a band playing "Dixie" and before the day was over, they had consumed 5,000 pounds of barbecue. By 1907 Teague was transformed. Dozens of brick buildings were under construction, population soared, and the Ten Thousand Club advertised "10,000 by 1910". Teague's first opera house was soon projected, and citizens once watched 2 merchants struggle happily to the bank carrying large baskets of "greenbacks.” During the first decade of the 1900s, population hovered at 5,000 but then momentum decreased. With the decline of passenger train service, Teague began to dwindle. Today it is again a quiet town and the railroad depot-office building houses a museum.
 
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
Teague WPA Post Office Mural, 1940:
The "Cattle Roundup" mural was painted by Thomas Stell, Jr. in 1940. The mural is located in the 1935 post office at 520 Main Street. (254) 739-2101. 
 
Burlington-Rock Island Railroad (B-RI) Museum & Historic Train Depot, 1906:
The museum features the 1926 Big Mike Baldwin Locomotive (visitors may board), an old caboose (may walk through), an antique Seagraves Fire Engine from the 1920s, the Philpott Log Cabin (approximately 1850), the veterans room, a Teague school room, an old hospital room, 1906 furnishings, and many historical train related exhibits. The museum is located in the old Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway Depot built when Teague was known as Brewer, Texas. The depot is built of red brick with Italianate style features. Open Sat-Sun, 1pm-5pm; closed major holidays. A small admission fee applies. Special tours are available by appointment. The building is available for event rentals. (254) 739-2061. Evenings: (254) 739-3411. The museum is located at 3rd and Elm Streets.
 
Teague Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library also has a coffee bar and reading center. Open Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:30pm; Sat, 8am-12 noon; closed Sunday. (254) 739-3311. 400 Main Street.
 
Teague Community Center & Over 55 Center:
The community Center is located at 511 W. Main Street. The over 55 Center is located at 501 West Main Street. The Over 55 Center offers senior citizens a daily lunch, activities, games and program services. The Senior Center is open Mon-Fri, 7:30am-1pm. (254) 739-3541.
 
Annual Teague Rodeo Association July 4thRodeo:
This three day rodeo is one of the longest running amateur rodeos in Texas. In the beginning, the rodeo was produced by the American Legion. Later the Teague Rodeo Association was formed began holding the rodeo on the weekend of or the weekend before the 4th of July. The most popular event is the Wild Cow Milking event. (254) 739-5544. This weekend rodeo is held at the Teague rodeo arena on 8th Avenue. Email
 
Annual Parkfest, Oct:
Activities include the annual Teague Police Department 5K/1K run, children’s games, food vendors, arts and craft vendors, and more. (254) 739-2061. (254) 739-2547. This event is held at Teague City Park on north 8th Avenue. 2012 Article