Contact
 
 
County
Cameron
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 2,356
2000 Census - 1,942
Nearby
Towns
Rio Hondo, Texas
null
Rio Hondo Texas History:
J.R. George established a general store in 1910 and served as the first Rio Hondo postmaster when the post office opened the same year. The town was named for its location on the Arroyo Colorado. Rio Hondo is Spanish for “deep river.” In 1914, the town had a restaurant, a few businesses and 150 residents. It incorporated in 1939. The most outstanding feature of Rio Hondo is the CR 106 (ColoradoAvenue) Yellow Drawbridge spanning the Arroyo Colorado. Rio Hondo is located off FM 508 on CR 106, 9.5 miles northeast of Harlingen, 9 miles northeast of San Benito, 10 miles southwest of Arroyo City, 36 miles northwest of South Padre Island, and 17.5 miles northwest of Los Fresnos, Texas.
 
Valley Transit Company-Valley International Airport Harlingen:
This company provides shuttle services from the Harlingen Airport, the Brownsville Airport and McAllen Miller International Airport to South Padre Island, Brownsville, Rancho Viejo, McAllen and all other cities within the Rio Grande Valley. Reservations are strongly recommended; a fee applies. Vehicles used include vans and 33, 52 and 57 passenger buses. To request an airport shuttle quote, fill out their quotation request form, or call or email them. (956) 423-5467. (866) 934-6882. Email
Rogers Massacre, Texas Historical Marker Text:
U.S. annexation of Texas in December 1845 intensified Mexico's asserted claim to Texas. In March 1846 U.S. Commander Zachary Taylor advanced his Federal Army beyond the Nueces River and established a supply base at Point Isabel and a garrison (Fort Brown) on the north bank of the Rio Grande. Roswell D. Denton, appointed by Taylor to transport supplies from New Orleans, enlisted Patterson Rogers and Sons, Anderson W. and William L. , to carry supplies from Corpus Christi to Point Isabel. The Rogerses, 9 other men, 3 women, and 4 children left Corpus Christi on April 25, 1846, with supplies bound for Point Isabel. Near this site on May 1, 1846, they were ambushed by Mexican bandits led by Juan Balli. Outnumbered and outgunned, Rogers surrendered when Balli offered prisoner-of-war protections. Balli broke his pledge and had two men shot to death. The rest of the men were bound and led to a bluff overlooking the Arroyo Colorado where their throats were slit and their bodies tossed into the Arroyo. The women and children were subsequently murdered. William Long Rogers miraculously survived and though severely wounded made his way over 40 miles to a ranch near Fort Brown. Rogers lived for many years and became a prominent South Texas citizen.” From Rio Hondo, take FM 106 west about 3/4 mile then go north on FM 503 about 3/4 miles to intersection of FM 508 and FM 1420.
 
Stagecoach to Rio Grande, C.S.A, Texas Historical Marker Text:
About 10 miles east of this site during the Civil War was Paso Real, ferry point on Arroyo Colorado. As early as 1846, stagecoaches had gone over Paso Real Ferry (the name probably meant "The King's Pass"). In the 1860's, the spot had international importance. It was a crossing for the cotton road, lifeline of the Confederacy. When Federal coastal blockades had cut off imports and exports for the entire South, this road moved cotton down to Matamoros so that it could be exchanged for guns, ammunition, medicines, cloth, shoes, blankets and many other vital goods. Besides the prized cotton loads that went past Paso Real, the stagecoach connection there was of importance to Confederate and foreign businessmen, government agents, diplomats and Army personnel. This was an area of conflict and intrigue. Bandits and Army deserters watched the road for stages and cotton wagons to pilfer. Mysterious travelers went this way--sometimes with a pursuing Sheriff on the next stage. Of 31 stage lines in Confederate Texas (hauling mail, soldiers, civilians), no other was more vital nor more interesting to travel than this through Paso Real.” The marker is located approximately 1 mile north of Rio Hondo at the intersection of FM 508 and FM 1420.
 
Saint Helen Catholic Church:
This is a beautiful white adobe church. 956) 748-2327. 228 W. Huisache Street, Rio Hondo, 78583.
 
Rio Hondo Historical Museum:
The museum features historical exhibits dating back to 1910, including artifacts, legal papers, newspaper articles, family and business photos, and more. Many exhibits relate to farming and ranching, medical and veterinarian practices, pottery, Indian tribes, the schools and the city. Open Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm. Group tours are available. (956) 367-5305. (956) 245-3591. The museum is located in the City Hall complex at 121 North Arroyo Boulevard. Group tours are available.   
 
Rio Hondo Public Library:
The library offers traditional library services, videos, audiobooks, Spanish language materials, learning English materials, and public access computers with internet access. Open Mon-Fri, 12pm-6pm; closed Saturdays and Sundays. (956) 748-3322. 121 North Arroyo Boulevard, Rio Hondo, TX 78583 
 
Senior Citizens Center & Nutrition Center:
The center offers activities, programs and supportive services for those ages 60 and over and their family members. Service includes daily lunches, recreational activities, nutritional information, information and referrals, outings and field trips, health fairs, internet access, and transportation to the center, doctors’ appointments and shopping. Senior Center: (956) 748-3082. Utility Assistance: (956) 748-2072. The Center is located on the first floor of the Rio Hondo City Hall at 121 North Arroyo Boulevard.
 
Chili Willie’s, Arroyo City:
This is the favorite local bar and grille. It is famous all over the area for its delicious hamburgers and fried shrimp. It also serves other typical menu items including chicken fried steak. Grilled Ribeyes are on the menu on Friday and Saturday nights. It is usually open for lunch and dinner. (956) 748-2444. 25420 Marshall Huts Road near the intersection of Paredes Line Road (FM 1847).
 
The Wharf Restaurant at Arroyo City:
This restaurant is located on the Arroyo Colorado. It is accessible by boat or car. It serves seafood and Mexican cuisine Friday through Sunday evenings. The restaurant hosts live entertainment of Friday and Saturday evenings. 956) 748-0737. 35423 Marshall Hutt Road.