Contact
 
 
County
Fisher
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 643
2000 Census - 673
Nearby
Towns
Roby, Texas
null
Roby Texas History:
The town of Roby is located on a former grand given to the Texas War for Independence veteran Thomas H. Cosby. The land was purchased and platted in 1885 by Mississippi developers M.L. and D.C. Roby. The Robys and the town of Fischer had a heated dispute over which town would be the county seat of Fisher County. The Robys hired attorneys to organize the town, to donate land for churches, schools, a park, and a cemetery, and to give town settlers free lots on the condition they build homes within ninety days. Roby won the 1886 election to become the county seat. The town of Fisher was renamed North Roby. The Roby post office was established and a courthouse and school were built in 1886. The stone jail was constructed in 1892. The Texas Central Railroad completed a line between Stamford and Rotan in 1907. In 1915, the Roby and Northern Railway completed a 4.4 mile line between Roby and North Roby which was a station on the Texas Central line. Roby became a commercial and shipping center for area farmers and ranchers. In 1915, Roby incorporated. Roby was plagued by inadequate water supplies until it began receiving water from Oak Creek Lake in 1953. Roby is located at the intersection of U.S. 180 and SH 70, 9.6 miles southeast of Rotan, 37 miles southwest of Aspermont, 59.6 miles southwest of Haskell, 20.5 miles southwest of Hamlin, 44 miles southwest of Stamford, 65 miles west of Albany, 29 miles west of Anson, 55 miles northwest of Abilene, 20 miles north of Sweetwater, 48 miles northeast of Colorado City, and 32 miles northeast of Snyder, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
The Old Rock House, Texas Historical Marker Text, Sylvester:
“In the 1880s Andy Long (b. 1850) began acquiring his 10,300-acre spread known as the "OB" Ranch. His landholdings surrounded what is now the town of Sylvester. This one-room rock house, built in 1883, served as ranch headquarters. Long stayed here while he was in the area working his cattle but maintained a home for his family in Sweetwater (25 mi. SW). The Old Rock House at times also served as living quarters of the ranch foreman. Andy Long sold the "OB" Ranch in 1901 to the Compere brothers for the purpose of colonization.” From Sylvester take FM 1085 south about 0.3 miles to dirt road veering to left. Follow dirt road onto ranch and to rock house. Sylvester is located 10 miles southeast of Roby.
 
Fisher County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office. (325) 776-3259. 109 North Concho Street. County Judge: (325) 776-2151.
 
Fisher County Courthouse, 1972:
This modern brick courthouse was designed by architects Lovett, Sellar and Associates. The beautiful 1910 Courthouse was razed. The 2010 Fisher County census was 3,974. (325) 776-2151. 112 Concho Street, Roby, Texas 79543.
 
Fisher County Jail, 1928:
The jail is still used for its original purpose. (915) 776-2273. 101 Concho Street.
 
Fisher County Pioneer Museum:
Open Thu, 10am-2pm, or by appointment. The museum is located on the west side of the courthouse. Email 
 
Event Venue - Roby Community Center:
The center is located behind the store on the south side of the courthouse.
 
Event Venue - Rotan Sheriff's Posse Arena & Fisher Co. Chamber of Commerce Pavilion:
The arena and pavilion are located west of Rotan on FM 611.Rotan is located at the intersections of SH 92, SH 70 and FM 611, 9.6 miles northwest of Roby, Texas. Rotan Map  Rotan Area Map 
 
Annual Fisher County Chamber of Commerce HogFest Steak Dinner, Mid-Oct:
The steak dinner begins at 6pm at the Chamber Pavilion at the Sheriff’s Posse Arena west of Rotan on FM 611. There will be live and silent auctions. .Rotan is located at the intersections of SH 92, SH 70 and FM 611, 9.6 miles northwest of Roby, Texas. Rotan Map  Rotan Area Map