Contact
 
 
County
Jim Wells
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,318
2000 Census - 1,288
Nearby
Towns
Orange Grove, Texas
null
Orange Grove Texas History:
In 1889, Ventana Ranch owners George and Hannah Reynolds donated 51 acres to the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in return for the railroad building the line through the ranch and constructing a depot on the ranch. The Reynolds and Ernest Miller had set aside 2,500 acres of their ranch land for use in establishing a town. In 1907, Fennell Dibrell and Max Starche established the town of Sandia. In 1908, Reynolds and Miller hired Dibrell and Starche to subdivide and sell the 2,500 acres. Dibrell and Starcke platted streets and named them for their friends. They sold a large portion of the land to German settlers, and chose the name Orange Grove for the new town. The Orange Grove Post Office opened in 1909. The Orange Grove Rifle Club was established and the Hall was built between 1911 and 1912.  Orange Grove is located at the intersection of SH 359 and FM 624, 18 miles northeast of Alice, 5.7 miles southwest of Sandia, 10 miles southwest of La Fruta Park, Lake Corpus Christi and Lake Corpus Christi State Park, and 14 miles southwest of Mathis, Texas.     
 
San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad Depot, 1912:
In 1889, ranch owners George and Hannah Reynolds donated 51 acres to the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in return for the railroad building the line through the ranch and constructing a depot on the ranch. The railroad built the station in 1912. In 1997, the George Peters family of Sandia, Texas donated the depot to the Austin Steam Train Association who moved the building to Bertram for use as the Steam Train’s Bertram stop. The Reynolds and Ernest Miller Ranches also set aside 2,500 acres for the establishment of the City of Orange Grove.
 
Orange Grove Area Museum:
Exhibits include a music room, family collections, a typical kitchen, Dr. Moets’ tools of trade, bank teller windows, a barber shop and shoe shine, a general store, a very rare Cleveland Carbide stove, a 1907 covered wagon, vintage tools, a model train, a Model T Ford and other vintage vehicles, vintage furnishings, equipment from the community’s first post office, local veteran’s memorabilia, video and audio tapes from the community’s elders, the restored Rock Island caboose (#17754), a typewriter collection, and the Armentrout Chapel building at the Armentrout home). The life size models of al log home, cantina, and a blacksmith’s shop were constructed by the area youth. Open Wed-Fri, 10am-4pm, and by appointment on Saturdays. (361) 384-1300. 119 South Eugenia Street, Orange Grove, Texas 78372.
 
Orange Grove Rifle Club & Public Dances, 1912:
The club hosts public dances and private events. (361) 384-2858. 400 South Harrod Street. 
 
Birding - Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail, Central Gulf Coast Region:
Brush Country Loop:  Three Rivers, Dinero, Lagarto, Midway, Sandia, San Patricio, Orange Grove, Alfred, Agua Dulce, Alice
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Bird Checklist for South Texas Brushlands
San Patricio County Bird Checklist with Photos
Jim Wells County Bird Checklist with Photos
 
La Fruta Park on the Nueces River:
This San Patricio County Park features picnic tables & BBQ grills, a large BBQ grill, a small stage, the Lions Club building, tent camping, RV sites, hiking and equestrian trails, an equestrian parking area, kayak rentals, and several Nueces River access points for fishing and kayaking. The small stocked fishing pond amenities include a small pier, a fountain and duck decoys. The pond is stocked with catfish, tilapia, bass, carp, perch, mullet and other fish species. Tent camping amenities include designated camping areas, fire pits, restrooms, and picnic tables. The group of picnic tables around the large BBQ Grill may be rented for private events. The La Fruta Paddling Trail begins at La Fruta Park and ends at San Patricio De Hibernia Park. The park is open Thursday-Tuesday, 8am-5pm. It is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter Weekends, and closed on Wednesdays for Maintenance. (361) 364-9650. The park is located at 23547 CR 1094. From Mathis take SH 359 towards Lake Corpus Christi. Just before Park Road 25, go left at the La Fruta park sign.
 
Horn Haven Ranch:
The ranch offers dove, white-tailed deer, giant elk, exotics, and quail hunts. Accommodations include private cabins and a new hunting lodge. (361) 960-2999. The ranch is located at the intersection of SH 359 and FM 624, 8 miles west of Orange Grove, Texas. Email
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations
 
Lake Findley (Alice City Lake) & Alice City Park, 247 Surface Acres, Alice, TX:
The lake is #83 on the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail. Primarily a fishing and birding lake, it was formed in 1965 when a dam was constructed on Chiltipin Creek. Predominant fish species include largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, crappie, channel catfish, bluegill, and redear sunfish. Resident birds include the Least Grebe, Groove-billed Ani, Great Kiskadee, and Green Jay. Sprague’s Pipit winters in the short grass fields. Alice City Park amenities include parking, an unimproved boat ramp, and picnic areas. Open daily, 8am to dark. (361) 668-7210. From Alice, take U.S. 281 North. Just north of the city, go east on FM 3376 (Commerce Road). Proceed 1.5 miles to Texas Boulevard, and turn north (left). Continue 0.5 miles to Lake Alice. Lake Records  Fish Stocking History
 
Nueces River:
The 315 mile long Nueces River rises in two forks approximately 50 miles north of Uvalde in north central Edwards and Real Counties. It flows south through the Texas Hill Country past Barksdale and Crystal City. East of Carrizo Springs it turns east across Dimmit, La Salle, and McMullen Counties. South of Three Rivers in central Live Oak County, it is joined by the combined Atascosa River and Frio River (impounded 3 miles northwest of Three Rivers to form Choke Canyon Reservoir) from the northwest. It then it flows southeast past Mathis where it is impounded to form Lake Corpus Christi; it enters Nueces Bay on the Gulf of Mexico at Corpus Christi. The Nueces is known for its largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, native Guadalupe bass, and a variety of panfish such as redbreast sunfish, rock bass, green sunfish and Rio Grande perch. Fish Stocking History 
 
Nueces River Paddling Trail:
The La Fruta Paddling Trail begins at La Fruta Park and ends at San Patricio De Hibernia Park. La Fruta Park provides seasonal kayak rentals and shuttle services. La Fruta Park provides seasonal kayak rentals and provides shuttle service pick-up at San Patricio De Hibernia Park with 24 hours advance notice. The La Fruta Park is open Thursday-Tuesday, 8am-5pm. It is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter Weekends, and closed on Wednesdays for Maintenance. (361) 364-9650. The park is located at 23547 CR 1094. From Mathis take SH 359 towards Lake Corpus Christi. Just before Park Road 25, go left at the La Fruta park sign.
 
Lake Corpus Christi Information:
The La Fruita Dam, the original dam, washed out in November of 1929. Lake Corpus Christi, originally known as Lake Lovenskiod, was reformed by damming the Nueces River in 1935. Because of water leakage, the dam was replaced in 1958. This huge reservoir (lake) provides water for the City of Corpus Christi. The current Wesley E. Seale Dam has a height of 75 feet. The lake has 18.256 surface acres and has a maximum depth of 60 feet. The reservoir provides good largemouth bass and catfish fishing. Lake maps are available at the Lake Corpus Christi State Park office on Park Road 25. The lake is owned by the City of Corpus Christi. The lake is located 4 miles west of Mathis, and approximately 20 miles northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas.For more complete lake information, go to the Lake Corpus Christi Home Page.Lake Location Map 
 
Lake Corpus Christi State Park Information:
This 356 acre park is located in San Patricio, Jim Wells and Live Oak Counties, southwest of Mathis, Texas. The TPWD leased the land from Corpus Christi in 1934. The lease runs until 2032. Many of the park's facilities were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), Company 886. The CCC was part of the New Deal Program under President FDR during the depression. This program was designed to provide jobs for out of work citizens. The CCC was involved in building many state park facilities across the nation, and some of the CCC's work is absolutely outstanding. Of the original CCC facilities at Lake Corpus Christi State Park, only the refectory and old pavilion remain. The Mediterranean style refectory was built of cast blocks of local caliche, and features a large terrace, a pavilion, a lookout tower, and a cast stone staircase leading to the lake trails. The park is located in a cove where the counties of San Patricio, Jim Wells, and Live Oak meet. The site of the park overlooks an area on the Nueces River which was a disputed boundary between Texas and Mexico. After the war the Rio Grande River became the official boundary. During the spring the park is a riot of bluebonnets and other wildflowers. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more complete park information watch the Park Video and go to the Lake Corpus Christi State Park Home Page.From Mathis: Take SH 359 south approximately 4 miles to Park Road 25. Turn right on Park Road 25, and drive to the park entrance. The park is located approximately 30 miles northwest of Corpus Christi.
 
Fort Lipantitlan State Historic Site Information:
Mexican forces constructed the wooden fort in 1831 in preparation of potential conflicts with Texians.
In 1835, the small Mexican guard force surrendered to Texan forces without a shot being fired. Today, there is nothing left of the fort. The only amenities are 6 picnic tables and Texas Historical markers. Activities include picnicking and birding. Hours and fees do not apply. For more information read Texas Forts History and an article by Charles M. Yates.The fort site is managed by Corpus Christi State Park. It is located 9 miles east of Orange Grove, off Texas State Road 359, FM 624 and FM 70. It is hard to find; call the Corpus Christi State Park for directions.(361) 547-2635.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar