Contact
 
 
County
Hardeman
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 2,641
2000 Census - 3,022
Nearby
Towns
Quanah, Texas
null
Quanah Texas History:
The area was first settled in 1884 by W.J Jones. The town was named after Quanah Parker, the last great war chief of the Comanche, and son of Cynthia Ann Parker. The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway surveyed the townsite in 1884 and began selling lots a year later. The Quanah post office opened in 1886. In an 1890 election, Quanah won the county seat selection over the town of Margaret, the former county seat. Quanah survived an 1891 flood and a disastrous fire a few months later. The town’s three railroads enabled it to be a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers. In 1859, the Conley oil field was discovered southwest of town, adding oil production and related services to its economic base. The town’s population peaked at 4,589 in 1950. Quanah is located approximately 16 miles south of the Oklahoma border and the Red River at the intersections of U.S. 287 (11th Street) and SH 6 (Main Street), 50.5 miles north of Benjamine, 22 miles north of Crowell, 12 miles north of Copper Breaks State Park, 80 miles northwest of Wichita Falls, 31 miles northwest of Vernon, 82 miles northwest of Seymour, 36 miles northeast of Paducah, 59 miles southeast of Memphis, and 29 miles southeast of Childress, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Quanah Parker, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Comanche chief Quanah Parker was a son of two cultures. He was born about 1845 along Elk Creek, Indian Territory (Oklahoma). His Anglo mother was Cynthia Ann Parker, taken captive in a May 1836 raid and adopted by Qua-Ha-Di (Antelope) Comanches, and his father was Comanche chief Peta Nocona. Texas Rangers reclaimed Cynthia Ann in an 1860 fight at the Pease River. Nocona died soon after, and Cynthia Ann lived with relatives near Birdville in Tarrant County before dying with no further contact with her Comanche family. Becoming chief upon his father's death, Quanah refused to sign the 1867 Medicine Lodge Treaty that sent many Plains Indians to reservations. Instead, he led raids in Texas and Mexico for another seven years, likely including the last foray into Tarrant County in June 1871. That winter, Quanah's band eluded Col. Ronald Mackenzie's Fourth U.S. Cavalry across the Texas panhandle. Comanche losses during the 1874 Panhandle Battle of Adobe Walls, in which Quanah was wounded, followed by a harsh winter, finally brought him and fewer than 100 remaining Qua-Ha-Di to the reservation at Fort Sill, Indian Territory in May 1875. Quanah served as liaison between his people and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He proved to be a pragmatic leader, encouraging the Comanches to take up ranching and farming, and to educate their children in government schools. Quanah prospered through his investments and built his spacious "Star House" near Cache, OK. He traveled widely, giving speeches and interviews and participating in wild west shows, the Texas State Fair, Texas Cattle Raisers Association gathering and the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show. Quanah visited Fort Worth and the Stockyards on many occasions. He died in 1911 and is buried at Fort Sill.” 131 E. Exchange at the Fort Worth Stockyards.
 
Hardeman County Courthouse, 1908:
This brick courthouse was designed in Beaux-Arts style by architect R.H. Stuckey. When county residents voted to determine whether to move the county seat from Margaret, Texas to Quanah, a resident’s voting place was determined by where they had their laundry done. It was a clean election. The Hardeman County monument, the courthouse’s Texas Historical Marker, and the Quanah Parker Monument are located on the courthouse grounds. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm. (940) 663-2961. 300 Main Street.   
 
Quanah Senior Citizens Center:
(940) 663-2412. 1410 Shaw Street. 
 
Quanah Community Center:
The building is available for event rentals. (940) 663-5336. 1600 Airport Road.

Annual Red River Valley Yard Sale on U.S. 82 and U.S. 287, First Friday & Saturday in June:
The yard sale is located on U.S. 82 from Clarksville, Texas to Seymour, Texas, and on U.S. 287 from Vernon to Bowie, for a total of 350 miles of yard sale. Participating towns and sites include the Bonham Visitor Center (327 N. Main), Callisburg City Hall (59 Campbell), Clarksville’s Gateway Antiques on the Square (125 Locust), Denison Chamber of Commerce (313 W. Woodard Street), Gainesville’s Radcliff’s Buffalo Nickel (201 W. U.S. 82), Henrietta Dairy Queen (927 E. Omega), Holliday’s RT’s Food Store (206 W. Olive), Honey Grove Public Library (500 6th Street), Muenster Antique Mall (405 E. Division), Munday Chamber of Commerce (121 E. B Street), New Boston T & P Trailhead Park (South Ellis and SE Front Streets), Nocona Dairy queen (301 E. U.S. 82), Paris Chamber of Commerce (8 West Plaza), Quanah Chamber of Commerce (220 S. Main), Saint Jo’s Gas Station (306 S. Broad), Seymour Chamber of Commerce (400 N. Main), Sherman’s A Touch of Class Antiques (118 W. Lamar), Vernon Chamber of Commerce (1614 Main Street), and the Whitesboro Dairy Queen (1001 U.S. 377 North). Red River Valley Tourism Association: (800) 782-7167. (940) 538-6768. For more information call the Quanah Chamber of Commerce at (940) 663-2222. Quanah Chamber Email  Map of Participating Towns
 
Annual Fall Festival, Sept:
Activities include an arts and crafts show, the Century Car and Tractor Show, the Quanah High School Alumni Reunion, a dinner, contests and games, vendors and merchants, live entertainment all day, and more. (940) 663-2222. Email