Hill Country
2010 Census - 778
2000 Census - 800
Rankin, Texas
Rankin Texas History:
The town was established in 1911 when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway built a line through the area, bypassing the Upton, the former county seat. Most of the Upton businesses and residents moved to the new townsite which was named after rancher F.E. Rankin. The Rankin post office was established in 1912. Oil was discovered in the 1920s. In 1928 the town incorporated. The oil boom created funds to expand Rankin's infrastructure and explains the presence of the over-sized Yates Hotel (now the Rankin Historical museum). The boom also funded a brick school, the county courthouse and a two-story office building. The town’s economy is largely based on oil, sheep and cattle. Rankin is located approximately 10 miles north of the Pecos River at the intersections of U.S. 67, SH 349 (Main Street) and SH 329, 65 miles southeast of Odessa, 55 miles south of Midland, 27 miles south of Iraan, 29 miles slightly west of Big Lake, 71 miles northwest of Ozona, 45.7 miles northwest of Sheffield, 65 miles northeast of Fort Stockton, 19 miles northeast of McCamey, and 32.5 miles southeast of Crane, Texas.
Upton County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(432) 693-2313. Email
Upton County Courthouse, 1926:
This modern brick courthouse was designed by architect David S. Castle. In 1958, Leonard F. Crockett made alterations to the courthouse and added an addition. The 2000 Upton County census was 3,404. (432) 693-2321. 205 East 10th Street. Email County Judge 
Upton County Courthouse, 1911, Upland, TX:
The ruins of the courthouse and of the jail are located on private land.
Rankin Museum:
The museum is located in the 1927 Yates Hotel which was built by oil tycoon Ira Yates. The restored lobby features the original wicker furniture and ceiling fan. The museum contains exhibits depicting the history of Rankin and the area. Exhibits include a restored 1940 fire truck, household items, photos, and a meteorite fragment thought to be from the Odessa Meteor Crater located between Odessa and Monahans. For more information contact the Upton County Judge at (432) 693-2321. The museum is located at 101 W. Main Street.Email County Judge 
Rankin Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 8am-5pm. (432) 693-2881. 310 East 10th Street. 
Annual World Championship Barbados Cook-off, May:
Activities include 11 cooking events, a rodeo, children’s entertainment, a 4 wheeler rodeo, a tug a war, a 5K run//walk, a dance, and domino tournaments. This event is held every Memorial Day weekend. Chamber Facebook Page
Pecos River & U.S. 90 Pecos High (Railroad) Bridge:
The Pecos River, one of the major tributaries of the Rio Grande River, rises on the western slope of the Santa Fe Mountain range in Mora County, New Mexico and flows south through New Mexico before entering Texas approximately 40 miles northwest of Mentone, Texas. The Pecos River is dammed on the Texas side of the border to form the Red Bluff Reservoir which is located on the New Mexico-Texas border. The river forms the boundaries between Loving and Reeves, Reeves and Ward, Ward and Pecos, Pecos and Crane, Pecos and Crockett, and Crockett and Terrell Counties. The 926 mile long river flows through Val Verde County to its mouth on the Rio Grande River in the Amistad Reservoir approximately 20 miles west of Comstock, and approximately 40 miles northeast of Del Rio, Texas. The actual confluence of the Pecos and Rio Grande Rivers is located underwater in Lake Amistad. The shoreline of Lake Amistad extends up the Pecos River Valley for over 10 miles. Two wonderful viewing areas are located 18 miles east of Langtry, Texas on the east rim of the river canyon. The roadside park located south of the highway offers the best view in the entire region. The U.S. 90 Pecos River Bridge, a railroad bridge, is one of the most photographed sites in West Texas. Pecos River towns include Barstow, Grandfalls, Imperial, Langtry, Iraan, Sheffield, Pecos, Girvin and Pandale, Texas. Southwest Paddler  Fish Stocking History    
Fort Lancaster State Historic Site Information:   
Fort Lancaster was established in 1855 to protect the military route between San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. The fort was abandoned on March 19, 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union. In ruins, the fort once had 25 permanent buildings including a blacksmith shop, hospital, Sutler's store and a bakery. All the ruins are marked with identifying signs. An old cemetery is located on the fort grounds. Many archeological explorations have taken place at the fort. Recovered artifacts are on display in the museum and Visitors Center. A replica of an 1858 Concord stagecoach is also located at the Visitor Center. Park amenities include picnic sites and a nature trail. A golf cart may be rented on a first come, first served basis. There are several Texas Historical Markers at the fort including markers commemorating the fort, the Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, and Howards Well. Just east of Fort Lancaster is a Scenic Overlook on U.S. 290 with a Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Old Government Road, a troops and supply road connecting San Antonio and El Paso. The fort site is not ADA compliant though a majority of the site can be navigated by wheelchair. The fort hosts special events and group tours by special arrangement. For more information read Texas Forts History and the Park Brochure. Fort Lancaster is located in the Pecos River Valley west of Ozona, Texas. (432) 836-4391. From Sheffield, take IH-10 east. Exit 343 on U.S. 290 (Scenic Loop), and go approximately 11 miles to the park entrance.
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations