Contact
 
 
County
Van Zandt
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,524
2000 Census - 3,496
Nearby
Towns
Wills Point, Texas
null
Wills Point Texas History:
Tax assessor William Wills arrived in the area around 1846 and built a double log cabin, now the oldest house in the area. The Community was named Wills Point or Wills Place after the Wills family, and because of the shape of the timberline that jutted out onto the prairie near Wills’ home. In 1856, Wills purchased 320 acres on the Dallas-Shreveport Road and converted his cabin to a roadside rest stop.
The Wills Point post office was established on September 23, 1870, with Thomas White as postmaster. In 1872, the Texas and Pacific Railway built a line across the county and through Wills Point, bypassing Canton by ten miles. Wills Point residents were able to persuade county officials to move the county seat to Wills Point. A dispute erupted and armed Canton residents went to Wills Point to retrieve the county records. The county judge had to wire Governor Richard B. Hubbard for aid. When the issue was finally brought before the Texas Supreme Court, the court decided in favor of Canton. Meanwhile, Canton residents refused to use the Wills Point railroad station so the town’s businessmen built an extension line from Canton to the Texas and Pacific rail line at current day Edgewood, ten miles northwest of Canton. The Bruce & Human Drug Company, located on the corner of 4th Street and James, it was built in 1879 and is the oldest family owned drug store in Texas. Wills Point incorporated in 1884. Karl C. Lybrand built the Majestic Theater in 1926. It was the longest continually operated movie theater in Texas until its 2010 closure. The town is also known for its roses, elms and pecan trees. It is also known as the “Bluebird Capital of Texas” for its many bluebirds that nest in Van Zandt County. Local farmers place bluebird houses on area fence posts, and the Wilderness Society maintains these houses when necessary. Wills Point's historic district has brick streets dating from the 1920s, a railroad depot museum, and the original Wills log cabin which is maintained by the Business and Professional Women's Club. Van Zandt was a dry county until May 2009 when Wills Point residents voted to allow beer and wine sales within the town’s city limits.Wills Point is located at the intersection of U.S. 80, SH 64 and FM 47, 53.5 miles southeast of Dallas, 15.9 miles southeast of Terrell, 18 miles southeast of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 34 miles southeast of Greenville, 21 miles southeast of West Tawakoni, 45.6 miles southwest of Sulphur Springs, 41 miles southwest of Quitman, 24.4 miles southwest of Emory and Lake Fork, 51 miles northwest of Tyler, 43 miles northwest of Lindale and Tyler State Park, 43.5 miles northwest of Chandler and Lake Palestine, 35.6 miles northeast of Edom, 28.5 miles northwest of Van, 30.8 miles northwest of Ben Wheeler, 18.8 miles northwest of Grand Saline, 7.6 miles northwest of Edgewood, 39 miles northwest of Athens, 14 miles northwest of Canton, 39.4 miles northeast of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, and 27.8 miles northeast of Kaufman, Texas. 
 
Rose Monument:
The Rose Monument was given to the city by I. E. Rose. It has tiers of planter basins, and four light posts. It is located in the center of North 4th Street.
 
William Wills Cabin in Bruce Park:
Wills arrived in the area around 1846 and built a double log cabin which served as a stage stop. It is the oldest house in the area. The cabin is located in Bruce Park. The park’s buildings were designed by H.R. Craft, Jr. to mimic buildings that might have been at the 1846 stage stop. The pavilion was donated by the Wills Point Chamber of Commerce. (903) 873-3111.
 
Cartwright School:
The school was built over a 100 years ago for Black students. The first Teacher, Professor Needham Wright, taught the children during the day, and adults at night. The school was originally located on North Wills Street, But has been moved to 315 Bertha Street.
 
Texas and Pacific Railroad Caboose:
This caboose is located at U.S. 80 and 4th Street at the Texas & Pacific Depot Museum.
 
Wills Point Depot Museum, Caboose & Visitor Center:
The museum is housed in the 1927 Texas and Pacific Depot. It features exhibits depicting the history of Wills Point, the county, and the railroad history. The caboose was given to the city in 1990 by the Union Pacific Railroad, formerly the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The Wills Point Historical Society refurbished the caboose as a Texas and Pacific Railroad caboose. The caboose currently houses the Wills Point Information Center. Museum tours are available. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm. (903) 8734-568. The Depot Museum is located at 210 W. South Commerce, Wills Point, TX 75169. The Caboose is located at 307 N. 4th Street.