Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 17,994
2000 Census - 17,887
Pampa, Texas
Pampa Texas History:
Pampa is located on a site owned by the former Francklyn Land and Cattle Company which later became the White Deer Land Company. In 1887 the future Pampa townsite was established as a station on the Southern Kansas Railway. The first settlers, railroad section foreman Thomas H. Lane and his family, built a half dugout near the station. The town was soon renamed Sutton, and then renamed Pampa.    The Pampa post office opened in 1892. On April 14, 1902, the White Deer Land Company approved the Pampa townsite plat and voters petitioned to organize Gray County. New settlers arrived, attracted by the area’s potential as a future wheat belt. The town became a shipping and commercial center for area ranchers and farmers. By 1910, Pampa had a hotel, mercantile store, bank, school, a drugstore and approximately 400 residents. Pampa incorporated in 1912. Oil was discovered in the area in 1926, and in  1927, Godfrey L. Cabot, established the first of several carbon black plants in Pampa, ensuring the town’s survival. In 1928, county voters chose to move the Gray County seat from Lefors to Pampa. The 1930 Pampa City was designed by Gray County courthouse architect William R. Kaufman. This building is larger than some county courthouses. In 1932, the Fort Worth and Denver and the Clinton and Oklahoma Western built lines to Pampa. The town’s economy remained stable during the Great Depression because the White Deer Land Company offered loans to wheat farmers. By 1967, the city’s industries included petrochemical products, furniture, industrial machines, sheet-metal products, and heavy machinery. A bronze statue of buffalo hunter-rancher Perry LeFors is located at the corner of Hobart Street in East Coronado Park. Pampa is located at the intersections of U.S. 60, SH 152, SH 273, SH 171, and SH 70, 70 miles northeast of Canyon, 55 miles northeast of Amarillo, 44 miles northeast of Claude, 28 miles northeast of Panhandle, 41 miles southeast of Fritch, 39.5 miles southeast of Stinnett, 28 miles southeast of Borger, 46.5 miles southwest of Canadian, 23 miles southwest of Miami, 42 miles northwest of Wheeler, 36 miles northwest of McLean, and 46 miles north of Clarendon, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Gray County Courthouse, 1928:
This impressive brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect William R. Kaufman. The exterior is built of buff colored brick and Indiana limestone. The fourth floor once housed a six cell jail. The courthouse was renovated in 2003. The 2010 Gray County census was 22,535.(806) 669-8007. 205 North Russell Street.
Llano Estacado Wind Ranch, White Deer, Texas:
The 5,700 acre ranch has several sites with 80 Mitsubishi MWT-1000 wind turbines. This Shell Wind Energy project produces enough power to meet the energy needs of approximately 30,000 houses. The company office is located in downtown White Deer at 300 South Main Street. For viewing information call (803) 883-1051.White Deer is located on U.S. 60, 14 miles southwest of Pampa, Texas.