Contact
 
 
County
Lee
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - Unknown
Nearby
Towns
Serbin, Texas
null
Serbin Texas History:
In 1854, 500 Wends from an area south of Berlin, Germany immigrated to the United States under the leadership of Lutheran minister John Kilian. In 1855, Carl Lehman and John Dube purchased 4,000 acres of the Absolem C. Delaplain league on behalf of the group, and sold town lots and farms to the Wends. The St. Paul Lutheran Church purchased ninety-five acres for a church and school. It was the first congregation of the Missouri Synod in Texas, and was important in the history of Lutheranism in Texas. The Wends named their community The Low Pin Oak Settlement, and by 1857 fifty families were reported living in the vicinity. The town was renamed Serbin (Wendish Land) when the post office was established in 1860; it was discontinued in 1909. The major crops were cotton and corn. The Wends built the current St. Paul Lutheran Church in 1867; its interior was painted in 1906 and 1936. In 1890, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built a line through Lee County 2 miles east of Serbin; many Serbin residents and businesses moved to the community of New Serbin be closer to the railroad. New Serbin’s name was changed to Northrup in 1892. Serbin lost residents to Giddings in the early 1900s; its population was 50 in 1930. In 1980, the St. Paul Lutheran Church donated the 1915 parochial school building to the Texas Wendish Heritage Society and leased them an acre of land. The society founded the Texas Wendish Heritage Museum, now a complex of several buildings, including a log home built in 1865 by an original settler. The 1871 church, museum, and cemetery are available for tours. The church is located mid-way between Serbin and Northrup. Today the Serbin community consists of the church and dispersed dwellings. Serbin is located at the intersection of FM 2239 and CR 209, 25.6 miles northeast of Bastrop, 17 miles northeast of Smithville, 7 miles southeast of Giddings, 41 miles west of Brenham, 33.6 miles northwest of Fayetteville, and 19 miles northwest of La Grange, Texas. 
 
Historic Serbin, Texas Historical Marker Text: 
“Trilingual (Wendish-German-English) community founded 1854 by 588 Wends under leadership of the Rev. John Kilian. The Rev. Kilian (evangelical Lutheran) named place Serbin because the Wends were descendants of Serbs. A thriving town 1865-1890; had grocery, dry goods, jewelry, drug and music stores; shops of wagon maker, blacksmith, saddler; post office, 3 doctors, 2 dentists. On Smithville-Houston oxcart road-- sending out cotton, other produce, and hauling in staples.
Decline began about 1890 as railroads bypassed settlement by several miles.”
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services. Photos
 
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 1871, Painted 1906 & 1936, Serbin, Texas:
The church has the tallest pulpit in Texas. It is located on the upper level of the two story church. The interior was painted by the community. The St. Paul Lutheran Church still serves the community. (979) 366-9550. 1572 CR 211, Giddings (mail), Serbin. Serbin is located on FM 2239, 7 miles southwest of Giddings, Texas. Email  Church Restoration Project & Photos 
 
Texas Wendish Heritage Museum, Library & Wendish Heritage Society, Serbin, TX:
The Lillie Moore Caldwell Memorial Library features information on the history and genealogy of the Wendish people, including rare books in Wendish and German, manuscripts, personal papers, and photographs. The museum preserves the history of the Texas Wends, Slavic immigrants from Lusatia in Eastern Germany. The museum is located adjacent to the St. Paul Lutheran Church and Cemetery, and is housed in a series of buildings connected by porches. The newest building, the Peter Building, houses the offices, gift shop, library and archives. The old St. Paul school buildings are located on either side of the center building. Outside exhibits include farming equipment, the 1856 Kurio log cabin, and the Mertink log cabin. The Kurio dog trot cabin now consists of two separate rooms, the 1856 room and an early room. The 1856 room is furnished as a bedroom. The museum and library are open Tue-Sun, 1pm-5pm. A small admission fee applies. For more information, call the Wendish Heritage Society at (979) 366-2441, or call St. Paul’s Lutheran Church at (979) 366-9550. The church and museum are located at 1572 CR 211. The society’s office is located at 1011 CR 212, Giddings. Serbin is located at the intersection of FM 2239 and CR 209, 7 miles southwest of Giddings. Serbin Map; Click to Enlarge  Serbin Texas Area Map   
 
Annual Serbin Homecoming Picnic, Memorial Day Weekend:
Enjoy great BBQ and fellowship, and tour the museum. This event is held on the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church grounds. (979) 366-9650. 1572 CR 211.
 
Annual Wendish Fest, 4th Sunday in Sept:
Activities include church services and tours, Easter egg decorating, genealogy and library help, live music, pioneer skills demonstrations, blacksmithing, a coffeecake bake-off, a 1:30pm meal, silent and live auctions, a washer contest, and children’s activities. For more information, call the Wendish Heritage Society at (979) 366-2441, or call St. Paul’s Lutheran Church at (979) 366-9550. This event is held in Serbin, Texas at the St. Paul Lutheran Church and the Wendish Heritage Museum and Library at 1572 CR 211, Serbin, Texas. 
 
Serbin Ziegen Dairy, Serbin, TX:
Dennis and Carol Sander raise French Alpine Dairy Goats and unregistered African Pygmy goats. They sell goat milk soap and farm fresh eggs. (979) 366-2461. They are located at 2541 CR 217 in Serbin, Texas. Email     
 
Birding - Texas Prairies and Pineywoods west Birding Wildlife Trail:
Washington on the Brazos Loop: Navasota, Washington on the Brazos, Hempstead, Chappell Hill, Somerville, Brenham, Round Top, Giddings, La Grange, Burton
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Lee County Bird Checklist with Photos
 
Texas Wildflowers:
Due to budget constraints, TX-DOT no longer maintains a website offering spring wildflower sightings. Information is available at the Texas Highways Magazine.
 
Lake Bastrop Information:
Lake Bastrop was formed in 1964 by damming Spicer Creek in the Colorado River Basin. Its maximum depth is 60 feet.The lake serves primarily as a cooling pond for the Sim Gideon Power Plant which is operated by the LCRA and the Lost Pines Power Project 1. Approximately one quarter of the shoreline of the Lake is privately owned by the Capitol Area Council, Boy Scouts of America. Both the North Shore and South Shore Parks feature many amenities including tent camping and RV sites, boat ramps, trails and picnic areas. For more complete lake information, go to the Lake Bastrop Home Page. Lake Bastrop Location Map  TPWD Public Access Facilities Map   
 
Bastrop State Park Information:
This 5,926 acre park was devastated by the September 2011 Wildfire. The golf course, all but three of the historic structures, and approximately 50 to 100 acres of Loblolly Pine forest were spared. By 2013, tiny drought hardy loblolly pines were poking their tiny trunks out of the ground. The pines are essential to the Houston Toad’s survival. Every $1 donation pays for a new pine tree planting. The replanting effort will continue through 2018. The endangered Houston Toad population was all but wiped out. Only a handful of toads were spotted in 2012. During the spring of 2013, 6,500 tadpoles were released into the park’s pond in hopes of possibly a dozen surviving to toad stage. The nearby Buescher State Park was unaffected by the wildfire. Bastrop State Park is now open for camping and recreation. The park is situated in the hilly "Lost Pines," an isolated timbered region of Loblolly Pine and hardwoods. It is unknown how these pine trees, the most western stand of Loblolly Pine trees in the U.S, came to be here. Legend states that Indians migrating here from East Texas brought the pine seedlings with them to remind them of their former home. During the 1800s, parts of the forest were over cut in order to provide fields for farming and livestock. When the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) arrived in 1933 to begin construction of the park, one of their first work projects was to reforest some of the agriculture fields. They also built beautiful buildings, such as the stone cabins and the Refectory. The Refectory, built of local red sandstone, walnut, oak, cedar and pine, features carved roof beams and mantels, and homemade furniture. Due largely to the incredible landscaping and building by the CCC, Bastrop State Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. Only 5 U.S. CCC built parks have achieved this status. Park activities include camping, hiking, biking, canoeing and kayaking, fishing, golfing and picnicking. Park entrance and camping fees apply.The park opened to the public in 1937. For more complete park information, read the Park Brochure and go to the Bastrop State Park Home Page. From Austin, take SH 71 to Bastrop, Texas. Turn left at SH 21/95 sign for Bryan and Elgin. Drive past the golf course on your right, then immediately turn right at the short cut over road; the park entrance will be on your right. Park Facilities Map  Video Prior to2011 Wildfire  2011 Wildfire Video
 
Buescher State Park Information:
This beautifully scenic 1,017 acre park acquired it,s first acreage through a land donation from Mr. and Mrs. Emil Buescher. After Emil’s death in 1936, the family donated more land. The remaining park acreage was acquired from the City of Smithville. Approximately 700 acres of the original parkland was deeded to the MD Anderson and UT Cancer Research Center. The park’s hiking trails skirt this area of land. The El Camino Real (King’s/Royal Highway) once ran near the park, and the parkland was part of Stephen F. Austin’s original land grant. Like many of the state parks built during the 1930s, many of the original park improvements were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps). The park features a 15 acre lake. Park activities include biking, camping, fishing, canoeing and kayaking, and picnicking. The park was unaffected by the 2011 wildfires, except the 13 mile road connecting Buescher and Bastrop State Parks. For more complete park information, read the Park Brochure, watch the Park Video, and go to the Buescher State Park Home Page. From Smithville, take SH 71 West to FM 153. Take FM 153 0.5 miles to Park Road 1, and proceed to the park entrance.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations