Contact
 
 
County
Palo Pinto
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 653
2000 Census - 739
Nearby
Towns
Strawn, Texas
null
Strawn Texas History:
In 1880 when the Texas and Pacific Railway built through the area, the Strawn area was known as North Fork. Ranchers Stephen Bethel Strawn and James Stuart platted the town of Strawn on land they owed along Palo Pinto Creek. Strawn built the first house in 1875. Residents and businesses from nearby Russell's Pocket and Davidsonville moved to Strawn to be closer to the railroad. By 1891, North Fork had approximately 400 residents, and coal mining was a major industry. Though oil was discovered in 1895, producing wells were not established until 1915. Between 1910 and 1920, area coal mines produced over 1.6 million tons of coal, most of which was used by the railroads. When the railroads switched to diesel engines, coal mining production fell dramatically. The Strawn coal mine closed in 1946. The first natural gas well was drilled by the Strawn Oil Company in 1924. By 1940, incorporated Strawn had a bank, a post offices, businesses, and1,107 residents. Today, Strawn is a marketing and shipping center for local farmers and oilfield businesses. In 2011, the Texas Parks & Wildlife purchased Lake Tucker and the surrounding lands for use as the future Palo Pinto Mountains State Park. Strawn is located 3 miles north of IH-20 at the intersection of SH 16 and SH 108, 34 miles northeast of Cisco, 23.4 miles northeast of Eastland, 14 miles northeast of Ranger, 41 miles southeast of Breckenridge, 54 miles southeast of Graham, 33 miles southwest of Mineral Wells, 14.3 miles southwest of Palo Pinto, 8.4 miles west of Gordon, 36 miles northwest of Stephenville, and 7.6 miles northwest of the ghost town of Thurber, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Strawn City Hall, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The city of Strawn, incorporated in 1917, held its first council meeting in a hall at a local bank building. During an oil, gas, and coal inspired economic boom the city's population reached 5,000 in 1920, and in 1921 bonds for a city hall were issued. This handsome classically-inspired local landmark was designed by Abilene architect David S. Castle and built in 1923. It features cast stone detailing in its arched entry, quoins, and parapet, and a decorative brick cornice.” The marker and city hall are located at 118 East Housley Street.
 
Strawn Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Strawn. Open Thu-Sat, 11am-4pm. (940) 445-1729. The museum is located on Front Street.
 
W. K. Gordon Center for Industrial History of Texas, Thurber, TX:
This museum features archives, and exhibits detailing the history of Thurber, the company town owned by the by Texas and Pacific Coal Company. The museum is owned and managed by Tarleton State University. Open Tue-Sat, 10am-4pm; Sun, 1pm-4pm; closed Mondays. A small admission fee applies. From IH-20, take exit 367 (Thurber/Mingus). The Center is located in Thurber on the south side of IH-20, 7.6 miles southeast of Strawn. (254) 968-1886. Email  
 
Machacek Bakery & Market:
The bakery and menu includes coffee, sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, Hunts Bro. Pizza, kolaches, sweet rolls, biscotti, cakes, cookies, pies, breads and scones, candies and nuts, and dog treats. The store sells groceries, hand cut meets, produce, and other items. The store is open Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm; Sat, 10am-3pm. Food service hours are Mon-Fri, 11am-5pm; Sat, 11am-2pm. (254) 672-5372. 300 Grant Avenue, Strawn 76475. Reviews  
 
Strawn Texas Monthly Musicals, 3rd Saturday of Every Month: 
(254) 647-1719.
 
Mary’s Café:
Mary’s Café is a legendary Texas eatery. Owner Mary Tretter is known as the Queen of Chicken-Fried steak, and has served as many as 700 chicken fried steaks in one day. Also serves mountain oysters. Open 11am-11pm daily, except Christmas and Thanksgiving. (254) 672-5741. 119 Grant Avenue, off IH-20 at the bottom of Ranger Hill. Reviews 
 
Flossie’s Café:
The café serves good breakfast foods. (254) 672-9201. 120 Grant Avenue. Reviews