Contact
 
 
County
Garza
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 5,376
2000 Census - 3,708
Nearby
Towns
Post, Texas
null
Post Texas History:
In 1907, cereal magnate (think Post Toasties) Charles William Post purchased 200,000 acres of ranch land for the purpose of establishing his vision of a perfect town. His Double U. Company managed the Post City’s construction. It built numerous buildings including houses, the Algerita Hotel, a cotton gin, and a textile plant. The company planted trees along every street and prohibited alcoholic beverages and brothels. It sold or rented houses and farms to settlers. The post office was established in a tent. By 1873 the town had a school, a bank, and several businesses including a newspaper. Railroad service began in 1910. When the town was incorporated in 1914, the name was shortened to Post. In 1916, the Post estate pledged $75,000 and the town raised $35,000 in 1916 to bid unsuccessfully to become the site of the proposed West Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College, later known as Texas Tech University; Postex Cotton Mills, now a part of Burlington Industries, began production in 1913 with 250 employees; it has remained the town's leading industry. Other industries include ranching, farming, and oilfield service companies. The Historic Garza Hotel, now a B & B, is a wonderful place to stay when visiting. Post is located at the intersections of SH 207, U.S. 380 and U.S. 84, 32 miles north of Gail, 56 miles northeast of Lamesa, 26 miles east of Tahoka, 40.6 miles southeast of Lubbock, 37.6 miles southwest of Crosbyton, 53 miles west of Jayton, 15 miles northwest of Justiceburg, and 44 miles northwest of Snyder, Texas.
 
Charles William Post:
At the age of 17, Charles William Post’s established his first business, a hardware store in Kansas. Though the business was a successful, in the 1870s the restless Post became a traveling salesman in the West. After this venture, he designed and manufactured mechanized farm machines. Again he was successful, but the work stress caused him to have a nervous breakdown. He then moved to Texas and became a real estate developer. He continued having nervous breakdowns and eventually sought help from Doctor W.K. Kellogg of Battle Creek, Michigan. As a strong believer in healthy foods, Dr. Kellogg invented several, including corn flakes and granola, which he served in his sanatorium. Initially, he did not market these products. While a patient at Kellogg’s sanatorium, Post also became a believer in healthy foods, and created his own line of products. He advertised them nationally, becoming the first business to establishing such a broad based marketing strategy. The success of his products enabled Kellogg to sell his own products. In 1907, he established the town of Post, Texas.
 
Historic C.W. Post Rain Battles, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Site of 1911-1914 dynamiting to produce rain, carried on by C. W. Post, Texas farm colonizer and cereal foods millionaire. After reading that rain often accompanies cannonading in war, Post planned "battles" to relieve droughts. He thought vertical air currents would condense vapor in atmosphere and cause rain. He first used dynamite airborne by kites, but soon replaced this dangerous method by setting off explosions on edge of Caprock. Post's experiments were said to have been 40% effective, and cost $50,000. He battled drought on farms until his death, 1914.” From Post, take U.S. 84 northwest approximately 3 miles.
 
Historic Santa Fe Depot:
(806) 495-3461. #1 Santa Fe Plaza, Post, Texas 79356
 
Garza County Courthouse, 1923:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect C.A. Carlander. The 2010 Garza County census was 6,461. (806) 495-4405. 300 West Main Street, Post, Texas 79356. Email