Contact
 
 
Counties
Haskell, Jones
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 3,124
2000 Census - 3,111
Nearby
Towns
Stamford, Texas
null
Stamford Texas History:
The Texas Central Railroad established a depot in 1900 on the Swenson Ranches, land. The Swenson brothers and the railroad worked to establish town lots and businesses. The Stamford post office opened in 1899 in a railroad boxcar. The Stamford and Northwestern Railway was established to link Stamford and Spur, Texas. The town became a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers. Significant early businesses included a flower mill (1906-1946), a cottonseed oil plant, an iron foundry, brick manufactures, gins and a railroad roundhouse. By 1910, the town had 3,902 residents. R. L. Penick, called the "Father of Stamford," established a bank and was instrumental in the town’s development. He was elected mayor three times, and in 1930 became the first president of the Texas Cowboy Reunion. This group was established to preserve the heritage of the typical West Texas Cowboy. The Texas Cowboy Reunion has been an annual 4th of July event since 1930. Rodeos are held in a natural amphitheater west of town, adjacent to the Swenson Ranch. Oil was discovered in 1935. Stamford is located at the intersections of SH 6, SH 283 and U.S. 277, 77 miles northeast of Snyder, 65 miles northeast of Sweetwater, 42 miles northeast of Roby, 21 miles northeast of Hamlin, 16 miles northeast of Anson, 30.5 miles southeast of Aspermont, 37 miles southwest of Munday, 16 miles southwest of Haskell, 60 miles northeast of Breckenridge, 37 miles northeast of Albany, and 43 miles northeast of Abilene, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Old Stamford Inn, 1919:
The Inn is said to be haunted. Do not enter the building as the structure is unstable. The inn was built by the Swensons and purchased in 1919 by A. C. Cooper of Center, Texas. On December 24, 1924 at about 11:00 p.m., the structure burned. Four people tragically died in the fire including E. D. Lotspeich ,and Mrs. W. B. Winters and her children Warren Jr., age 3 ½ and Bonnie Ruth, age one. The cause of the fire was not determined and still remains a mystery today. The inn is located adjacent to the Stamford City Hall (600 East McHarg Street).
 
Stamford Public Art & Interesting Sites:
The Centennial Cowboy statue is located in front of the Stamford Swimming Pool on West McHarg Street. The Swenson Ranch Mural is located at the corner of East McHarg and North Swenson Streets. Dinosaur statues are located in Harmon Park at the corner of East Hamilton and Orient Streets. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers’ Association Historical Monument is located at the Oldtimers' Roundup Hall, adjacent to the Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo Grounds on N. U.S. Hwy. 277. The 48,000 pound Mackenzie Trail Monument is located at the intersection of SH 6 and the U.S. 277 by pass. Historic buildings include the 1900 Swenson Commissary (South Swenson and Gould Streets), the 1905 Johnson House (North Swenson Street), and the St. John’s United Methodist Church (201 South Ferguson Street).    
 
The Cowboy Country Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Stamford including historic photographs, antique medical equipment, farm/ranch artifacts, newspapers dating back to the early 1900's, telephone books from 1920's, Rodeo programs dating back to the 1930s, a chuck wagon from the Swenson Ranches, farm implements, and a room furnished with early 1900s furnishings, household appliances, an original Coke vending machine, a sewing machine, a china cabinet with period china, a hand cranked wall phone, and a spinning wheel. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-noon and 1pm-5pm. The historian is available for questions and tours Mon-Wed, 9am-4pm; Thurs, 9:30am-10:30am. No fees apply. Special tours are available on weekends and holidays by appointment. (325) 773-2500. 113 South Wetherbee Street.  
 
Stamford Carnegie Library, 1908:
This is one of the few Carnegie Libraries in Texas still functioning as a library. The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 12:30pm-6pm. (325) 773-2532. 600 East McHarg Street.
 
Carnegie Libraries History:
2,509 of these beautiful Carnegie Libraries were built between 1883 and 1929 with funds donated by Scottish American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Very few towns that requested a grant and agreed to his terms were refused. When the last grant was made in 1919, there were 3,500 libraries in the United States, nearly half of them built with construction grants paid by Carnegie. Of the 32 Texas Carnegie Libraries12 still exist. Five of these still serve as libraries (Ballinger, Bryan, Franklin, Stamford, and Jefferson, Texas). The Carnegie libraries in Belton, Cleburne, Sherman, Terrell and Tyler house museums. The Gainesville Carnegie Library is a playhouse, and the Palestine Carnegie library houses the Palestine Chamber of Commerce.
 
Tower Drive-In Movie Theater, Rule, TX:
The theater offers double features Fri-Sun, during the spring and fall, and nightly during the summer. (940) 997-0137. The theater is located at 7734 SH 6, 1 mile north of Rule and U.S 380. Rule is located 17 miles southwest of Knox City, 9.7 miles northwest of Haskell, 19 miles northwest of Stamford, and 21 miles southeast of Aspermont, Texas. Rule Texas Map  Rule Area Map 
 
Annual Stamford Events:
Annual events include the June TCR Rodeo and Parade (325-773-3138), the August Off the Hook Bass Tournament, the September Hell or High Water BBQ for Bucks Cook-off and the Stamford Preservation League’s Christmas Gala in December. (325) 773-2411.
 
Annual Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo, End of June and Early July:
Activities include the rodeo and a downtown parade, a Western Art Show Preview Party, vendors, children’s entertainment, a trade show and a dance. This four day rodeo event is held over the 4th of July holiday. The rodeo grounds are located on North U.S. Hwy. 277. (325) 773-3138.