Contact
 
 
County
Karnes
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,031
2000 Census - 1,080
Nearby
Towns
Runge, Texas
null
Runge Texas History:
The town was established in 1887 and named for Henry Runge, a pioneer merchant and banker whose company helped develop the town. When Gustav Tips arrived to build Henry Runge’s store, the settlement consisted of one house and a street. The Runge Post Office was established in 1887. By 1890, Runge was the largest town in Karnes County, and had a mercantile store, a livery, depot, lumberyard, a sheet-metal works, barbershop, saloon, a mill and a cotton gin. Gustav Tips moved to Runge in 1887 and established the Reiffert and Tips firm. The town was managed by the Runge Town Company with Tips as its agent. When the town was incorporated in 1912, Tips became the town’s first mayor. When the Karnes county seat was moved to Karnes City from Helena in 1894, many Helena businesses moved to the Karnes City or to Runge. The original 1890 bandstand located in the center of the public square was rebuilt in 1924; the bandstand has a Texas Historical Marker. The Runge economy is dependent on farming, ranching, dairy farming, and the oil and gas industries. In 1992 the town’s historical museum was destroyed by fire. The Runge City Hall is located in the former First State Bank of Runge. The 6 acre Runge City Lake is located in town. Runge is located east of the San Antonio River on SH 72, 17.6 miles east of Karnes City, 10 miles east of Kenedy, 27 miles northwest of Goliad, 53 miles west of Victoria, 9 miles southeast of Helena, and 14.5 miles southeast of Panna Maria, and 22 miles southeast of Cestohowa, Texas.
 
Veterans Wall of Honor:
This wall honors area veterans.   
 
South Texas Renegades Semi-Pro Football Team, Runge, Texas:
The team plays the South Texas Bonecrushers from Corpus Christi, the San Antonio Ravens, the San Antonio All Stars, Austin’s ATX Tigers, and San Antonio’s Alamo City Cowboys. There are many semi-pro football teams in Texas.
 
Click on the above link for a current playing schedule. (830) 200-8927. Email   
 
Annual Independence Day Celebration, July:
Activities include a flag raising ceremony, a rifle shooting contest, vendors, a car show, a horseshoe tournament, children’s entertainment, a BBQ lunch, the Air Force Band of the West Show, an evening parade, a raffle, and fireworks. (830) 200-8927. Email  
 
Weesatche Dance Hall, 1930s, Weesatche, TX:
In 2012, Weesatche residents were working to clean and restore the dance hall. (361) 564-3360. The dance hall is located at 140 East FM 884 in Weesatche, Texas. Weesatche is located at the intersection of FM 884 and SH 119, 14 miles northwest of Goliad, 18 miles southeast of Nordheim, 11 miles southeast of Yorktown, and 16 miles southwest of Meyersville, Texas. Weesatche Texas Map; Click to Enlarge   Weesatche Area Map 
 
Runge City Lake:
The lake is located in town off FM 1020. Fish Stocking History
 
Hunting in Karnes County:
Karnes County offers great hunting for white-tailed deer, hogs, quail, dove, and other wild game. The Kenedy Chamber of Commerce offers a list of available seasonal or year round hunting leases. (830) 583-3223. Fax: /3223. 205 South Second Street, Kenedy, TX. Email
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations
 
San Antonio River:
The 240 mile San Antonio River originates in Central Texas from a cluster of springs known as the San Antonio Springs Blue Hole. These headwaters are located approximately 4 miles north of downtown San Antonio at the University of the Incarnate Word. Olmos Creek empties into the river just below its head, and other springs continue to join as the river flows through the city. The river flows in a roughly southeastern path through Bexar, Wilson, Karnes, Goliad, Victoria and Refugio Counties before emptying into the Guadalupe River approximately 10 miles upstream from San Antonio Bay (Town of Seadrift) on the Gulf of Mexico. The most famous portion of the river is the San Antonio River Walk  San Antonio River Walk in San Antonio, Texas.Fish Stocking History
 
Goliad State Park & Historic Site Information:
This 188 acre park is located in a historical area of Texas on the San Antonio River near the town of Goliad. Located within the park is the recently restored replica of the Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga, which was reconstructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The restored mission houses a museum. In 1931, the parkland was donated to Texas by the City and County of Goliad. The land was transferred to the State Parks Board in 1949. Through April the park grounds and fields along U.S. 59 are awash with blooming bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, phlox, lantana, and wine cups. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more information read the December 2007 Park of the Month Article and Park Brochure, watch the Park Video, and go to the Goliad State Park Home PageFrom Goliad take U.S. 183/77A 0.25 mile to the park entrance.
 
Fannin Battleground State Historic Site Information: 
After the Battle of Coleto on March 20, 1836, Col. J.W. Fannin and 284 of his men surrendered to the Mexican forces of General Jose Urrea with the understanding they would be treated as prisoners of war. They were held at the Presidio La Bahia, located 1.4 miles south of the present day Goliad State Park. Colonel Fannin and the other wounded men were held in the fort’s chapel. Fannin’s room, now called the Flag Room, was located in the south extension of the chapel. On the evening of March 26, Mexican Colonel Portilla received orders from Mexican General Santa Anna to execute all the men he held at the fort. An hour after he received Santa Anna’s order, Portilla received an order from General Urrea requesting that Colonel Portilla, “Treat the prisoners with consideration, particularly their leader, Fannin, and to employ them in the rebuilding of Goliad.” On Palm Sunday morning, March 27, 1836, Portilla had 330 of the prisoners divided into three groups and taken to three different locations approximately 0.5 miles from the fort. All were then massacred, with the exception of 17 men whose lives were spared, and the 28 who escaped. The 40 wounded prisoners being held in the Chapel were taken outside and laid in front of the chapel doors. Colonel Fannin was blindfolded, taken outside and seated on a chair located adjacent to a trench by the Watergate. He made three requests; to have his possessions sent to his family, to not be shot in the face, and that he be given a Christian burial. He was shot last, and in the face, a Mexican officer took his possessions, and his body was burned with many of the other bodies in a mass grave. Francita Alavez, the Angel of Goliad and traveling companion of General Urrea, was one of the most compassionate people involved in the Texas Revolution. She pleaded and saved the lives of a number of men at Goliad, including 15 year old Benjamin Hughes. At Victoria she assisted in the escape of Isaac Hamilton after he escaped the Goliad Massacre. A beautiful stone obelisk honors Fannin and his men. Park amenities include a covered picnic pavilion, a picnic area, benches, a playground and an interpretive exhibit. The majority of this historic site is ADA compliant. The park hosts special events. For more park information read the brochure, watch the park video, and go to the Fannin Battleground SHS Home Page. (512) 463-7948. 734 FM 2506, Fannin, Texas 77960. Email  
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar