Battleship Texas State Historic Site
Battleship Texas State Historic Site Information:
The Battleship Texas is part of the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site complex. The battleship is permanently anchored in Buffalo Bay in the Houston Ship Channel, adjacent to the San Jacinto Monument. The viewing area at the top of the Monument offers great aerial views of the ship. Battleship Texas has the distinction of being the oldest surviving dreadnought battleship, and is one of the few remaining American battleships that served in both World War I and World War II. She was the first U.S. Navy battleship to receive aircraft launching capabilities and commercial radar, the first battleship to become a museum and be listed as a U.S. National Historic Landmark, and is the only surviving American built warship that was powered by reciprocating steam engines. The ship was launched on May, 18, 1912, and was decommissioned in 1946, after earning 5 battle stars for her World War II service. On April 20, 1948, she arrived at her current location. She was turned over to the State of Texas the next day on April 21, a day already made significant by the decisive conclusion of the Battle of San Jacinto, a battle that ended the War for Texas Independence from Mexico. In 1983, Battleship Texas came under the stewardship of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department with operates the historic site with the assistance of the Battleship Texas Foundation. Only the main deck is ADA compliant. For more information, read the Battleship Texas State Historic Site Rack Brochure and watch the Battleship Texas SHS Video. San Jacinto Monument & Battleship Texas SHS Facilities Map
Historic De Zavala Plaza, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The name honors Lorenzo de Zavala, vice president of the Republic of Texas (ad interim, March 17 - Oct. 17, 1836). Born in Yucatan and educated in the seminary of Ildefonso, de Zavala was an ardent liberal who was jailed 1814-1817 for political activities. In prison he learned English and became a medical doctor. In 1821 he was a member of the Cortes in Madrid, Spain, and later was governor of a province of Mexico. After Mexico won independence from Spain, he kept working for democratic reforms. Loyal to the 1824 Constitution of Mexico, he opposed Dictator Santa Anna, and moved to Texas to seek freedom. On March 2, 1836, he signed Texas' Declaration of Independence. Later he signed the Republic of Texas Constitution. Married twice, he had six children. The family honored his memory by keeping alive his ideals after his early death. The Legislature of Texas in 1858 named Zavala County in his honor. Lorenzo de Zavala, many of his descendants, and some of their neighbors and friends were interred in the de Zavala family cemetery, on the plantation across Buffalo Bayou from this site. This plaza is dedicated to the memory of Vice President de Zavala, his family, and others buried in de Zavala Cemetery.” The marker is located adjacent to Battleship Texas.
San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site & Monument Information:
The April 21, 1846 San Jacinto Battle between the forces of General Sam Houston and Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was a decisive victory for Texas, and ended the Texas War for Independence from Mexico. The importance of this battle to both the United States, and to Texas cannot be overstated, thus the Battlefield is a National Historic Landmark. The 570 foot tall San Jacinto Monument is 15 feet taller than the Washington Monument, and is the tallest stone column memorial in the world. The monument was a Public Works Administration project (part of FDR's New Deal Program); the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)completed it in 1939. The shell stone used in the project was quarried from Burnet County in Central Texas. The walls are 4 feet thick at the base, and 2 feet thick at the top. The 1,800 foot long (200 feet wide) reflection pool, completed in the 1930s, covers 8.4 surface acres. An Observation floor is located in the monument, 489 feet above the battleground. It provides a view of the battleground, the marsh restoration and boardwalk, and the Battleship Texas. On a clear day one can see for miles. The observation floor may be accessed via an elevator. The battlegrounds habitat consists of native coastal tall prairie grass dominated by little bluestem, big bluestem, Indian grass and switch grass, bottomland forests and tidal marsh. The San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site & Monument consists of 1,200 acres and is located adjacent to Battleship Texas
Lynchburg to Baytown Ferry Service:
Nathaniel Lynch established the ferry service around 1830. Harris County has operated this free ferry service since 1888. The ferry operates on the San Jacinto River ferrying vehicles between Lynchburg and the San Jacinto State Historic Site & Battleship Texas SHS in La Porte. The 12 vehicle capacity William P. Hobby and Ross S. Sterling ferryboats were built by the Todd Shipyard in 1964. The ferry operates Mon-Fri, 4:30am-8pm; Sat-Sun, 11am-6:30pm; closed major holidays including New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial and Labor Days, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Two ferries operate Mon-Fri, 3:30pm-6:30pm. The trip takes 7 to 10 minutes. Lynchburg is located south of IH-10 on an inlet extending into Burnet Bay across the water from the San Jacinto Monument. The Baytown Ferry is located at 1001 S. Lynchburg Road. The San Jacinto Ferry is located on SH 134 (Battleground Road), La Porte. (281) 424-3521. Lynchburg Map; Click to Enlarge Lynchburg Area Map
Battleship Texas State Historic Site Directions:
From Houston: Take IH 610 South Loop to SH 225. Exit onto SH 225 East (Pasadena Freeway). Exit at SH 134 (Independence Parkway/Battleground Road). Turn left, and drive approximately 3.5 miles to the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site.
Note:SH 134 connects SH 225 with the San Jacinto Battlefield and Monument, and the Lynchburg Ferry to the north.