Hill Country
2010 Census - 2,626
2000 Census - 3,797
Wimberley, Texas
Wimberley Texas History:
In 1848 the site was populated by a trading post and a few settlers. After San Jacinto veteran William Carvin Winters built a gristmill on Cypress Creek in 1856, the settlement became known as Winters’ Mill. It was renamed Cude’s Mill when John M. Cude purchased the site in 1864, and renamed again in 1874 when Pleasant Wimberley purchased the mill. The mill functioned as a lumber mill, shingle mill, gristmill, flour mill, molasses mill, and cotton ginuntil it was demolished in 1934. The Wimberley post office was established in 1880. Wimberley’s beautiful location on the Blanco River and Cypress Creek, and its slightly milder weather make it a favorite of retirees and families who commute to San Marcos or Austin for work. Wimberley incorporated in 2002. It is located at the intersection of FM 2325 and RR 12, 33 miles northwest of Lockhart, 15 miles northwest of San Marcos, 25 miles north of New Braunfels, 58 miles northeast of San Antonio, 55 miles northeast of Boerne, 33 miles northeast of Spring Branch, 17.9 miles northeast of Sattler and Canyon Lake, 12 miles northeast of Fischer, 69 miles southeast of Fredericksburg, 39 miles southeast of Johnson City, 26.6 miles southeast of Blanco, 14.3 miles south of Dripping Springs, 35 miles southwest of Lakeway, 12.8 miles southwest of Driftwood, 18 miles west of Kyle, 42.5 miles southwest of Elroy, and 38 miles southwest of Austin, Texas.
Wimberley Square:
The square is not a traditional town square. It is a historical and commercial area carved out of a bend on RR 12. Historic buildings include the 1934 James C. Lane house, and the 1890 John Henry Saunders Store. Businesses include the Wimberley Café and other restaurants, a fudge shop, and an assortment other businesses. The Cypress Creek Nature Trailhead is located across RR 12 from the square. The square is located a short distance southwest of the Wimberley Visitor Center.
Veterans Memorial Plaza & Educational Center:
This beautiful tribute to veterans features a memorial surrounded by a round plaza and flags. The flags are flown on major national holidays and on the birthdays of each branch of the military. Memorial Bricks may be donated in memory of a loved one; all proceeds benefit the plaza. The Veterans Memorial Plaza Committee is creating a book and web page commemorating all veterans who have had bricks donated in their honor. (512) 847-6969. The plaza is located on the grounds of the Emily Ann Theater at 1101 FM 2325. Email