Contact
 
 
County
Gillespie
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 75
Nearby
Towns
Willow City, Texas
null
Willow City Texas History:
The earliest recorded settler was a Baptist preacher who reportedly disliked the Germans. After the civil war, settlers and ranchers Andrew Moore, Jim Renick, William Luckenbach and Bill Hardin moved to the Willow Creek area and founded Willow City, one of the few non-German speaking communities in the county. These settlers traded with Anglo-Americans in Austin rather with the German settlers in Fredericksburg. The town prospered, but was considered a haven for criminals. The Willow post office was established in 1877 and was renamed Willow City in 1887. The town received telephone service in 1893. In 1915, Willow City had three general stores, a drugstore, two blacksmiths, a cotton gin and approximately 130 residents. Since 1970, the town has had an estimated 75 residents. Willow City is well known for its Willow City Wildflower Loop. Its area roads are popular with bicyclists and motorcyclists. The Old Willow City School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located at 2501 TT 1323. Willow City is located on RR 1323, 3 miles east of SH 16, and 16 miles northeast of Fredericksburg, Texas.
 
Texas Wildflowers:
Due to budget constraints, TX-DOT no longer maintains a website offering spring wildflower sightings. Information is available at the magazine.
 
Willow City Wildflower Loop Road, 13 Miles, March Through April:
This popular wildflower trail usually offers an abundance of beautiful wildflowers. It is considered one of the most scenic drives in Texas. Please do not stop on this narrow and winding two lane road. From Johnson City take U.S. 281 north for 8.6 miles to RR 1323. Turn left (west) on RM 1323 and go 25 miles to Willow City. From Willow City continue west on RM 1323 toward SH 16. The ghost town of Eckert is located just before SH 1323 and SH 16 intersection. The rustic Knot on the Loop Saloon in located in this former town, Texas. Go right (north) on SH 16. At the top of a long incline is a stunning view of Enchanted Rock. Continue to the bottom of the incline and go right (east) on Willow City Loop Road. Harry’s on the Loop is located approximately 3 miles east of SH 16. Stop at Harry’s or continue the remaining 10 miles to RR 1323 in Willow City. The Knot on the Loop Saloon is owned by Robin and Wayne Nicols. Entering the saloon is a trip back in time; it is decorated with memorabilia and other vintage items; visitors attach dollar bills to the ceiling. The saloon opens Tuesday through Sundays at noon sometimes earlier. It is open until midnight or sometimes earlier. They serve a variety of sandwiches, shrimp and chicken baskets, great burgers, fries, snacks, and cold beer and sodas. They generously allow tourists to use their restrooms and allow bicyclists to use their parking lot for free. Call (830) 685-3591 to check the hours. Harry’s on the Loop is owned by Joe and Johnny. Harry’s serves great barbeque and cold beer; blues play from the speakers. During cold weather locals gather around the potbellied stove to visit. Harry’s: (830) 685-3553. Willow City Map; Click to Enlarge  Knot on the Loop Saloon Reviews
 
Bell Mountain Winery:
The tasting room is open on Saturdays, 10am-5pm. Private tastings are available by appointment. Wine tastings are also available at Das Peach Haus in Fredericksburg, Texas. (830) 685-3297. 463 Bell Mountain Road. From Fredericksburg, go north on SH 16 to RR 1323. Go right on RR 1323. Email 
 
Annual Pedal Power Wildflower Ride, April:
The 60 mile ride includes the Willow City Wildflower Loop. All proceeds benefit the Hill Country Children’s Advocacy Center. Register online or register on ride day from 8:30am-9am at the Visitor Center at LBJ State Park and Historical Site. The park is located off of U.S. 290 West, 2 miles east of Stonewall.
 
Restaurants:
The Knot in the Loop Saloon and Harry’s on the Loop Saloon are located near Willow City. For information read the “Willow City Wildflower Loop Road” above.
 
R Diamond Ranch Hunting:
They offer hunting for white-tailed deer. Rabke’s: (830) 685-3266. (817) 395-3881.
 
Rabke’s Table Ready Meats, Willow City:
(830) 685-3266. 3875 Eckert Road, Willow City.
 
Stonewall Smokehouse, Stonewall, Texas:
(830) 644-2006 (seasonal). 12862 U.S. 290 East, 0.5 miles west of Stonewall.
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations
 
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area Information:
This extremely popular 1,643 acre State Natural Area is located north of Fredericksburg, Texas on Big Sandy Creek, and on the border of Gillespie and Llano Counties. In 1978, the Nature Conservancy of Texas acquired the parkland by warranty deed from the Moss family. In 1984, the state acquired it, added facilities, and reopened it as a State Natural Area. Enchanted Rock, a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, rises 425 feet above the ground and covers 640 acres. It is the second largest batholith (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States. Georgia’s Stone Mountain is the largest. The islands of vegetation (vernal pools) on the bare granite summit of Enchanted Rock are some of the most ecologically significant and severely threatened features of this state natural area. Please do not enter the pools and do not let your pets enter the pools. Enchanted Rock is a National Natural Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Park entrance and camping fees apply.For more SNA information, read the Park Brochure, watch the Park Video, and go to the Enchanted Rock SNA Home Page. The SNA is located 18 miles north of Fredericksburg on RR 965. From Llano, take SH South 16 miles, then go west on RR 965.
 
Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area Information:
This 16.1 acre wildlife management area is the smallest WMA in Texas. TPWD assumed ownership and management of the WMA in 1991. The WMA is now managed by the City of Fredericksburg. The 920 foot railroad tunnel (1913), one of 6 railroad tunnels constructed in Texas, travels through what is known as the "Big Hill," and is located about midway on the 23 mile line of the old Fredericksburg and Northern Railroad which connected the old Fredericksburg Junction near Comfort, to Fredericksburg, Texas. From May to October, the tunnel is home to approximately 3 million Mexican Free-tailed Bats. Just before sunset each day, the bats darken the sky as they fly out of the tunnel in search of their evening meal. The time of their emergence varies depending on the number of bats, how much food is available, and how far they need to travel to reach prey. By August and September, the bat colony has increased in size, and prey is getting scarcer so the bats must travel farther for food. As a general rule, bats emerge between 8 and 9pm from May through July, and between 6 and 8pm during August and September. August and September are considered the best bat viewing months. The site is open for evening bat viewing from May-October. There are three options for viewing the bats’ emergence. The hilltop deck is located adjacent to the parking area, and is open nightly for use by the general public; an ADA compliant bat viewing area is available. No fee is charged. In addition to providing a view of the bats, this area offers stunning views of the Texas Hill Country. You will also have the opportunity to view Red-tailed Hawks feeding on the emerging bats. The 0.5 mile nature trail winding down to the lower wooden foot bridge is closed each evening from May through September for paid group tours which are offered Thursday through Sunday. You may also schedule a private group tour. Seating capacity is limited to 70 people, so it is suggested visitors arrive early. An educational program begins 30 to 60 minutes prior to the expected emergence time. Watching the bats from the bridge offers a closer view of the tunnel. From the bridge, the flapping of millions of tiny wings is usually audible, as are the soft clicking sounds of the bats communicating with each other. Call to check the emergence time before arriving. A small park is located at the southern end of the tunnel. A Texas Historical Marker is in place. A small fee applies. Special group tours of up to 70 people may be schedule Mon-Wed, from May through September. For more complete WMA information, go to the Old Tunnel WMA Home Page. From Fredericksburg go 3 miles east on U.S. 390. Go right (south at the TXDOT sign on Old San Antonio Road. Drive 10.5 miles to the WMA located on the left at the Topo of the hill; go left on Alamo Road.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar