Contact
 
 
County
Lavaca
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,069
2000 Census - 2,074
Nearby
Towns
Shiner, Texas
null
Shiner Texas History:
The Half Moon post office opened near present day Shiner in 1885. In 1887, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a line through the area and bypassed Half Moon. Instead, it built through land owned by Henry B. Shiner. Shiner donated 250 acres for a right-of-way and depot, and a town soon grew around the new transportation facilities. Initially the town was called Half Moon, but was renamed Shiner in 1888. Czech and German immigrants soon became dominate ethnic groups in the town. The Czechs soon developed social organizations such as the National Sokol Society and the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas. It is home of Spoetzl Brewery, the producer of Shiner Beer. The brewery and the painted Saint Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church are Shiner’s largest tourist attractions. Cotton, corn, and ranching are their largest industries. Shiner is located at the intersections of U.S. 90A (Avenue E), SH 95 (5th Street) and FM 966, 10.6 miles northwest of Yoakum, 18.4 miles northeast of Hochheim, 18.4 miles southeast of Gonzales, 10.4 miles south of Moulton, 19 miles south of Flatonia, 31.4 miles southwest of Schulenburg, 21 miles southwest of Moravia, 14.3 miles west of Hallettsville, 13.7 miles northwest of Sweet Home, 50 miles northwest of Edna, and 54 miles northwest of Victoria, Texas.