Contact
 
 
County
Montague
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,043
2000 Census - 977
Nearby
Towns
Saint Jo, Texas
null
Saint Jo Texas History:
Ithane and Prince Singletary established the community on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River in 1849 while searching for gold in the area. After failing to find gold, they left for Whitesboro, but returned to the Saint Jo area two years later and named their 1849 community Head of Elm. Several military surveying crews camped in the area over the next years. In 1870, Montague was chosen Montague County seat over Head of Elm. By 1871, the community had seven businesses. In 1872, Irb H. Boggess and other promoters purchased a 640 acre tract of land that included Head of Elm. The next year they platted the town and established a post office which they named Saint Jo. The town incorporated in 1886 when it had two cotton gins, gristmills, a weekly newspaper and approximately 500 residents. Also that year the Gainesville, Henrietta, and Western Railway began servicing the town. The town grew to 1,147 residents n 1950 before declining. Saint Jo’s downtown square features a central plaza and a gazebo. An old petrified wood Texaco station is located near Saint Jo. Saint Jo is located at the intersections of U.S. 82 (Broad Street), SH 59, FM 677 (Boggess Street), and FM 2392, 24.5 miles northwest of Gainesville, 9.4 miles northwest of Muenster, 50 miles north of Decatur, 22.8 miles northeast of Bowie, 14.6 miles northeast of Montague, 61 miles southeast of Wichita Falls, 41 miles southeast of Henrietta, and 13.6 miles southeast of Nocona, Texas.
 
Historic Saint Jo Downtown Square:
Buildings on the square date back to 1873. Amenities include a gazebo, the First National Bank Texas Historical Marker and the Stonewall Saloon historic marker. The square is located on East Howell Street.
 
The Stonewall Saloon HIstorical Western Museum, 1873, Saint Jo, TX:
The museum opened in 1958. It features swinging doors, a bar from Floresville, and exhibits depicting the history of St. Jo and the area. When the wall paint was removed during a restoration, an 1870s mural was discovered. The museum is located on the Courthouse Square which is located on Howell Street. Saint Jo is located at the intersection of U.S. 82 and FM 677 (Boggess Street), 13.6 miles southeast of Nocona, 14.6 miles southwest of Montague, and 9.4 miles northwest of Muenster, Texas. Email 
 
Gilbert's Fenton Art Glass and Collectibles Museum:
Exhibits include almost 30,000 pieces of Fenton glass and collectibles. The gift shop sells new Fenton glass and collectibles. Open Sat, 10am-6pm; Sun, 1pm-5m, and daily by appointment. (940) 995-2776.
 
Donna Howell-Sickles Studio:
She creates western paintings that include a smiling cowgirl. Open Thu, noon-6pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-6pm; Sun, noon-4pm. (940) 995-2786. 108 S Main Street. Email
 
Davis & Blevins The Main Street Gallery:
They sell fine art and gifts, and works local and national artists and artisans including Donna Howell-Sickles who was inducted into the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame. The gallery also hosts annual events such as the Scarecrow Festival and the Christmas on the Square Charity Event. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-6pm; Sun, noon-4pm. (940) 995-2786. (877) 881-0704. They are located at 108 S. Main Street on downtown square. Email
 
Saint Jo Public Library, Saint Jo:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. This library serves eastern Montague County. Open Mon & Thu, 12:30pm-6:30pm; Tue & Fri, 9am-2pm; Fri, 9am-2pm; Sat, 9am-1pm. (940) 995-0008. The library is located on the square at 201 E. Howell Street. Email