Contact
 
 
County
Trinity
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 2,697
2000 Census - 2,721
Nearby
Towns
Trinity, Texas
null
Trinity Texas History:
The town was founded in 1872 on the Houston and Great Northern Railroad line. The town was originally called Trinity Station. The name was later changed to Trinity City and finally shortened to Trinity. When the H&GN bypassed the Trinity County seat of Sumpter, many Sumpter businesses and residents moved to Trinity to be closer to the railroad, Trinity was the Trinity County seat from May, 1873 to 1884 when the county seat was moved to Pennington. Trinity remained a railroad center for area sawmills and cotton farmers, and by 1890 had 1,200 residents. Within six years the population had dropped to 500. In 1900, Trinity had an ice plant. It had electric lights by 1906, and electricity by 1907. The town suffered fires in 1892, 1909, and 1915. The 1909 fire destroyed the business section. Trinity incorporated in 1910, and reincorporated in 1916, following the 1915 fire. Cotton farming peaked in the 1920s. Today, the town’s economy is supported by some lumbering interests, a small oil field, Texas Department of Corrections facilities, and recreational facilities at nearby Lake Livingston. The historic Veteran’s Memorial Bridge crosses the Trinity River on SH 19. This through truss bridge was built in 1940. Trinity is located two miles northeast of the Trinity River and just north of Lake Livingston at the intersections of SH 19, SH 94, FM 356 and FM 230, 41 miles southeast of Grapeland and Mission Tejas State Park, 14 miles southeast of Crockett and Houston County Lake, 38 miles southwest of Corrigan, 19.3 miles southwest of Groveton and the Davy Crockett National Forest, 34 miles northwest of Livingston, 20 miles northwest of Onalaska, 27 miles northwest of Point Blank, 49 miles north of Conroe and Lake Conroe, 7 miles north of Riverside, 33 miles northeast of New Waverly and the Sam Houston National Forest WMA, and 19.8 miles northeast of Huntsville State Park and Huntsville, Texas.
 
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
Trinity WPA Post Office Mural, 1942:
The mural "Lumber Manufacturing" was painted by Jerry Bywaters in 1942. The mural is located in the 1940 post office at 116 W. Main Street, Trinity. (936) 594-2331.
 
Blanch K. Werner Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 1pm-6pm; Sat, 9am-2pm. (936) 594-2087. 203 Prospect Drive.
 
Trinity Community Center:
806 S. Robb Street. (936) 594-2507.
 
Martin Senior Center:
(936) 594-2625. (936) 594-7456. 
 
Lovelady Old GymLive Music, Lovelady, TX:
In the 1990s, community members led by Norma Dell Jones rallied to save the old Lovelady School gym from being torn down. The restored gym is used Lovelady community events and is a popular country music venue. Former school teacher Norma Dell has been instrumental in bringing in well-known country music arts including Noel Lee Haggard, Casey Rivers, Carl Acuff, Jr., Hank Thompson, Tommy Horton, Johnny Rodriquez and Moe Bandy. On Saturday nights Lovelady residents are likely to show up with cakes, pies and other foods for visiting bands; audience members can purchase the food for a small fee which supports the gym. The gym is also used for private and other public events. (936) 565-6680. The gym is located on SH 19 on the south side of Lovelady, Texas 75851. Lovelady is located on SH 19, 15 miles south of Crockett. (936) 636-2267. (936) 545-6680. Lovelady Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Lovelady Area Map 
 
Annual Trinity Community Fair, 3rd Weekend in Sept:
Activities include a parade, a livestock show, a carnival, food vendors, live music, and more. Trinity Community Fair Association: (936) 594-3856. The event takes place at the Trinity Community Center at 806 S. Robb Street. Email 
 
Bluebonnet Berries Farm:
Jon and Barbara Thomas raise and sell blueberries and blackberries. Open June-July, Mon-Sat, 8am-7pm. (936) 594-6473. From Trinity, take SH 94 east for 5.5 miles to Bluebonnet Ridge Road to the farm on the left side of the road. Email