Contact
 
 
County
Wilbarger
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 11,002
2000 Census - 11,660
Nearby
Towns
Vernon, Texas
null
Vernon Texas History:
As early as 1858 the Tonkawa Indians called the site Eagle Springs because of the abundance of nesting eagles. A large number of settlers entered the area after the Civil War. In 1880, early settler Robert Franklin Jones donated a half section of land for a new townsite. The town was denied their request for a post office named Eagle Flat. The Vernon post office was established in 1880. In 1881, Vernon was made the county seat of the newly organized Wilbarger County. The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway built a line to the town by 1885, establishing Vernon as a trading center. The town incorporated in 1889. By 1892, Vernon had a street railway, a fire department, electric lighting, three newspapers, two flour mills, two ice factories, and 3,500 residents. The St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway began servicing the town around 1901. Today, major industries are agriculture and oil related activities. Vernon is located just south of the Pease River, and 16 miles south of the Oklahoma Border and the Red River at the intersection of U.S. 283, U.S. 183, U.S. 287 and U.S. 70, 59 miles southeast of Childress, 31 miles southeast of Quanah, 49 miles northwest of Wichita Falls, 39 miles northwest of Iowa Park, 23 miles northwest of Electra, 46 miles northwest of Seymour, and 32.7 miles northeast of Crowell, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.  Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Wilbarger County Courthouse, 1928:
The courthouse was designed in classical revival style by Voelcker & Dixon. The 2010 Wilbarger County census was 13,535. (940) 553-2300. 1700 Wilbarger Street, Vernon, TX 76384.