Contact
 
 
County
Grayson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 38,521
2000 Census - 35,082
Nearby
Towns
Sherman, Texas
null
Sherman Texas History:
Sherman was established in 1846 as the designated county seat of the newly formed Grayson County. It was named for General Sidney Sherman. Thomas J. Shannon was one of the first area settlers. The Sherman post office was established in 1847. In 1848, the town moved three miles east of its original location. The town became a commercial center for area farmers. By 1952, the town had two saloons, a physician, county offices, a church, a store and 400 residents. By the 1870s, Sherman had approximately 6,000 residents, and a rail connection provided by the Houston and Texas Central Railway. The town refused to pay a large enough bonus to attract the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway, so the MK & T built a line to the newly established town of Denison, making Denison the new area marketing and shipping center, though Sherman remained a marketing center for area farmers. The 1880s arrival of the MK& T and other lines to Sherman allowed Sherman to reassert itself as the lead marketing and shipping center. By 1900 Sherman had 10,213 residents, and by 1920 had an electric urban rail system linking it to Denison, 11.6 miles to the northeast. The building of Denison Dam and the impounding of Lake Texoma in 1944 helped the town’s growth. Oil was discovered within the city limits in the 1950s, which gave a further boost to the local economy. Today, manufacturing is a main area industry. The Sherman Visitor Center is located at the A Touch of Class Antique Mall at 118 W. Lamar Street. Sherman is located at the intersections of U.S. 75, U.S. 82, SH 91, SH 11 and SH 56, approximately 12 miles south of the Oklahoma border, 33 miles north of McKinney, 62 miles slightly northeast of Dallas,  92.2 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 56 miles northeast of Denton, 33.6 miles east of Gainesville, 18 miles east of Whitesboro, 15 miles southeast of Pottsboro, 11.6 miles southwest of Denison, 64 miles west of Paris, and 26.4 miles northwest of Bonham State Park and Bonham, Texas.
 
Sherman Visitor Center:
The center offers Visitor Brochures, maps and area and regional information. Visitors and residents may sign up for Newsletters.  Open daily, 9:30am-5:30pm.Call for holiday hours. (903) 891-9379. The center is located at the A Touch of Class Antique Mall on the downtown square at 118 W. Lamar Street, Sherman, TX 75090.
 
Grayson County Courthouse, 1936:
This modern courthouse was designed by Voelcker & Dixon. The beautiful 1876 courthouse burned in 1930. The 2010Grayson County census was 120,877. (903) 813-4200. 100 W. Houston Street.