Contact
 
 
County
Concho
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 273
2000 Census - 320
Nearby
Towns
Paint Rock, Texas
null
Paint Rock Texas History:
In 1879, the Concho County Commissioners established the town as the new county seat of Concho County. The site offered one of the few good fords on the Concho River. The town was named for the pictographs found on the bluffs of the Concho River. The town’s buildings were initially constructed outside the town survey and had to be moved a half mile east. The town immediately began to grow and by 1884, area farmers and ranchers were shipping wool, hides, pecans and mutton. The Paint Rock post office was established in 1879. By 1907, the town had several churches and general stores, a school, and several social organizations including the Masons and Eastern Star, Woodmen of the World, and a debating and literary society. In 1910 the Concho, San Saba and Llano Valley Railroad built a line from Miles (Runnels County) to Paint Rock. Rail service was discontinued after a flood washed away the bridge over the Concho River in late 1936. Former Texas Governor Rick Perry grew up in Paint Rock. Paint Rock is located just west of the O.H. Ivie Lake and the Colorado River, and west of the junction of the Concho River and Hogg Creek, at the intersection of U.S. 83 and FM 380 (Moss Street), 52 miles southwest of Coleman, 53 miles northwest of Brady, 42.5 miles northwest of Menard, 20.8 miles slightly northwest of Eden, 34.7 miles northeast of San Angelo, 52 miles southeast of Robert Lee, and 16 miles slightly southeast of the Colorado River and Ballinger, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Concho County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen services, home economics, agriculture, and 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them. (325) 732-4304. Courthouse Annex, Paint Rock, Texas 76866. Email
 
Concho County Courthouse, 1883:  
The courthouse was designed in Second Empire style by courthouse architect F. E. Ruffini. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Concho County census was 4,087. (325) 732-4321. 152 North Roberts Street.
 
Paint Rock Pictographs:
Over 1,500 red, orange, yellow, white, and black pictographs are located northwest of Paint Rock along a half mile stretch of bluffs on the Concho River. These painted drawings include human figures and animals, such as buffalo and deer. Some natives left their handprints. These drawings are thought to date back to the Toyah period (ca. A.D. 1300 – 1650). Paintings of horses and a church demonstrate that use of the site by native groups continued after the Spanish arrived in the area. Many believe the painting of a rectangular structure with two crosses atop it represents the 1757 San Saba Mission, the remains of which have been uncovered near present-day Menard some 50 miles to the south. The Paint Rock area was a center of hostilities between the Lipan Apache and Comanche Indians. It is thought the Comanche and other Indians traveling through the area left their signs on the bluff. This site is unusual as there are very few pictograph sites in Central and Northwest Texas. Rock art is much more prevalent, and generally more ancient and better preserved in the Lower Pecos and Trans-Pecos areas. The Pictographs are located on the ranch of Fred and Kay Campbell. They offer guided tours for a small fee. The entrance is located approximately a mile north of town on U.S. 83. Open the main gate, drive through it and then be sure to close it behind you so that the two bison bulls don't wander out into traffic. Drive to the visitor's center and make tour arrangements or just follow the signs on the solstice. You will drive on an old, gravel ranch road which will wind its way down to the riverside canyon where there is a parking area. A gathering occurs on every solstice or equinox; admission is free. (325) 732-4376. For more information call the Concho County Judge’s office at (325) 732-4321, or call the Concho County AgriLife Extension Office at (325) 732-4304.Extension Office Email 
 
Ingrid's Custom Hand-Woven Rugs:
Ingrid makes reversible sheep’s wool rugs and saddle blankets using 50% local wool. Coarse fibers from New Zealand are mixed with the local wool. He uses llama and alpaca from U.S. producers and mohair from Brady, Texas. He uses 76 colors. Visitors may view his 13 looms, many of which were designed and built by Ingrid. Blanket and rug prices range from $39 to over $1,000. (800) 752-8004. His shop is located west of the courthouse on U.S. 83. Email
 
Shopping, Kiser Iron Works:
Randy Kiser is one of the nation’s best blacksmiths. His work has been featured in national publications. He is known for his iron beds. He also creates custom hardware, fireplace screens and wine stoppers. (325) 732-4740. His shop is located just south of the courthouse square.
 
Annual Hunters' Appreciation Lunch, 1st Saturday in Nov:
(325) 944-3590. (325) 732-4304. Email