Contact
 
 
County
Starr
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 13,834
2000 Census - 11,923
Nearby
Towns
Rio Grande City, Texas
null
Rio Grande City History: 
In 1762, Jose Antonio de la Garza Falcon established the Carnestolendas Ranch in the Spanish colony that was established by Jose de Escandon. The town was established on a portion of this ranch. When Mier Expedition survivor Henry Clay Davis married into the Garza family, he and his wife, Maria Hilaria de la Garza moved to this site. Davis inherited the Carnestolendas Ranch and renamed it Rancho Davis. After defeating Mexico in 1848, the U.S. Army established a riverside post at Davis’ boat landing. Davis then platted a village at the post; the post was later named Fort Ringgold, and Davis’ village became Rio Grande City. Davis platted his town with a plaza running down Britton Avenue from the Starr County Courthouse to the river. Today the plaza features the 1924 replica of the French grotto shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, complete with a Paris-forged statue of the Virgin Mary. One block from the river is the 1899 home of French merchant Francoise La Borde; it has been restored and now houses a hotel. The Rio Grande City post office was established in 1849. At the time of Rio Grande City’s founding it was located at the end of the steam boat route up the Rio Grande River; merchants and money flowed into town. During the 19th century Rio Grande City was an active port for passenger and cargo traffic between the town and New Orleans; it also flourished as a cattle center. Frequent encroachments from Mexico, most notably those of Juan Cortina in 1859, forced the community to rely often on the Texas Rangers and the United States Army for protection. By 1884 the town had a physician, 2 lawyers, 3 grocery stores, 9 general stores, a wagon maker, a druggist, 2 blacksmiths, a school, 2 churches, a furniture maker, a corn mill, a hotel and 900 residents. By 1914 it had 2,100 residents. An oil and gas boom in the 1930s broadened the town’s economic base. The town’s city hall is located in the 1877 Howard L. Bass Home which was built of lumber from a sunken steam ship; the building features mesquite block flooring and handmade brick. Rio Grande City was designated a Texas Main Street City in 2002. It is also an international port of entry for Camargo, Tamaulipas, Mexico, and is part of the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Corridor located along the Rio Grande River. Rio Grande City is located on the Rio Grande River on U.S. 83, 104 miles southeast of Laredo, 54 miles southeast of Zapata, 26 miles southeast of Falcon Heights and the Falcon International Reservoir and State Park, 12.7 miles slightly southeast of Roma, 15 miles northwest of La Grulla, 18 miles northwest of Sullivan City, 20.7 miles northwest of Los Ebanos, 24 miles northwest of La Joya, 33 miles northwest of Mission, and 41 miles northwest of McAllen Texas.   
 
Camargo, Tamaulipas, Mexico:
The town is located a few miles from the Rio Grande River. The town is located near three thermal springs, Ojo de Jabali, Ojo Caliente and Ojo Salado, the Mission Santa Rosalia, the Precidio San Francisco de Conchos (near Lake Boquilla), and Lake Colina.
 
Mexico Travel Information
Mexico Travel Alerts
Duty Free Information
Border Bridge Wait Times
 
Rio Grande City-Camargo Mexico International Bridge, 1966:
This bridge is also known as the “Starr-Camargo Bridge” and “Puente Camargo.” The 2 lane, 591 foot long bridge spans the Rio Grande River connecting Rio Grande City with Camargo, Mexico. Traffic includes commercial and passenger vehicles and pedestrians. The privately owned Starr Camargo Bridge Company owns and manages the bridge. The bridge is open daily, 7am-12 midnight. (956) 487-5606. 804 W. Main Street, Rio Grande City, 78582. Email
 
Starr County Courthouse, 1856:
The Starr County Courthouse was constructed in 1856. It was originally designed as the Mifflin Kenedy Warehouse and was used by Kenedy for his steamboat trading business; Kenedy County is named after Mifflin Kenedy. In 1865, the former warehouse became the first Starr County Courthouse; it served in this capacity until 1886 when the new courthouse was completed. The first floor was redesigned for use as the Starr County Jail; it served as the jail until 1991. From 1885-1915 the courthouse portion of the building served as county's first school. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 203 W. Water Street.   
 
Starr County Courthouse & Photos, 1939:
This 1939, modern brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Stanley Bliss. Red painted steps lead up to the entrance. The 2010 Starr County census was 60,968. The courthouse is located at the end of Britton Avenue on a hill overlooking town. 401 N. Britton Avenue.   
 
Annual Starr County Fair & Rodeo, Feb:
Activities include the fair, a Saturday morning parade, the annual Saturday night wild game dinner, a ranch rodeo, youth scrambles, a talent show, a pageant, concessions, a petting zoo, a carnival and live music. (956) 488-0122. The fairgrounds are located in town at 1321 E. San Benito Street, Rio Grande City, 78582. Email
 
Annual Chili’s Showdown Cook-Off, Feb:
Categories include chili, Pan de Campo, beans, baby back ribs, and fajitas.(956) 353-2401. Email
 
Annual Lighted Country Christmas Parade, 1st Saturday in Dec:
Contact the Rio Grande City Main Street Program for more information. (956) 353-2401. Email
 
Caro’s Restaurant:
The restaurant served great tacos under the management of Juan Sr. (956) 487-2255. 295 N. Garcia Street.It may have moved to U.S. 83. Reviews
 
Casa De Adobe Restaurant:
(956) 487-8216. 101 North Avasolo Street. Reviews