Contact
 
 
County
Nolan
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 10,906
2000 Census - 11,415
Nearby
Towns
Sweetwater, Texas
null
Sweetwater Texas History:
One of the earliest settlers was Billie Knight who in 1877 established a store that sold goods to buffalo hunters. 1881, the community became the designated county seat of the newly formed Nolan County and the Blue Goose post office was moved to the site from its original location three miles southwest. At this time, the community consisted of a few tent residences and stores. The Texas and Pacific Railway built a line through the area that same year. By 1882, a newly constructed building served as a store, the jail, and the county courthouse. A bank was established in 1883, and a county courthouse was built in 1891. During its early years, Blue Goose remained small. An 1885 blizzard killed ninety percent of the area livestock. This disaster was followed by the 1886–1887 drought. The town was incorporated for the third time in 1902. In 1903, the arrival of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway established Sweetwater as a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers. Lake Trammell was impounded in 1914. In 1918 the town and post office were renamed Sweet Water; the name was later changed to Sweetwater. An oil refinery operated in the area from 1929 to 1954. Area recreation and water resources improved with the 1930 impoundment of Lake Sweetwater and the 1952 impoundment of the Oak Creek Reservoir. Today, historic Sweetwater has more than 50 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Sweetwater is located at the intersection of IH-20/U.S. 84 and SH 70, 40 miles west of Abilene, 63 miles northwest of Ballinger, 54 miles northeast of Robert Lee, 29.7 miles slightly northeast of Colorado City, 68 miles northeast of Big Spring, 40 miles southeast of Snyder, 20 miles south of Roby, and 49 miles southwest of Anson, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Nolan County Courthouse, 1977:
The courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Welch & Hampton. It has a polished granite veneer exterior. The 2010 Nolan County census was 15,216. (325) 235-2263. 100 East 3rd Street. Sweetwater, Texas 79556. Email    
 
National WASP WW II Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting and preserving the history of the World War II’s Women Air Force Service Pilots (WASP), the first women to fly American military aircraft. The museum offers educational programs, and special exhibits and events. The museum is located at the Sweetwater Municipal Airport in Hanger 1. (325) 235-0099. 210 (Loop 170) Avenger Field Road. Email 
 
Pioneer Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Sweetwater and Nolan County and include farm and ranch implements and equipment, Indian artifacts including an arrowhead collection, period furniture, housewares and household equipment, documents, photos, and WASP exhibits. Open Tue-Fri, 1pm-5pm. (325) 235-8547. 610 East 3rd Street.
 
Roscoe Historical Museum, Roscoe, TX:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Roscoe. The museum suffered a devastating a few years ago when a leaky roof destroyed many exhibits and a large number of photographs. The museum is seeking vintage photos or copies of vintage photos. They need photographs of downtown Roscoe that show stores, gins and other establishments, and public places. Photos of events such as the 1957 Semi-Centennial or the 1976 Bicentennial celebrations, 4th of July parades, the 1980 flood, or other notable community events and activities are also needed. Photos of farmsteads are also important. Roscoe is located on U.S. 84, IH-20 and FM 608 (Main Street), 8 miles west of Sweetwater (325) 766-2233. 20 Cypress Street, Roscoe, Texas 79545. Email  Roscoe Map; Click to Enlarge  Roscoe Area Map 
 
Texas State Technical College West Texas, Campus:
The school offers Solar Technology and Wind Energy Classes, and others. The campus is located 4 miles west of Sweetwater. (325) 235-7300. 300 Homer K. Taylor Drive.
 
Sweetwater County-City Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon, 1pm-6pm; Tue-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; closed Sundays. (325) 235-4978. 206 Elm Street. Email