Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 25
Praha, Texas
Praha Texas History:
Praha was originally known as Mulberry and Hottentot. It was first settled by Bohemians James C. Duff, and Leroy Criswell. During the mid-1850s Bohemian immigrant Mathias Novak purchased 100 acres and built a house where early masses were celebrated. The community grew as other Bohemians settlers arrived. In 1858, the town was renamed Praha in honor of Prague, Czechoslovakia.In 1865, Bernardine Father Joseph Bithowski built a small frame church where the first mass was celebrated at midnight on Christmas Day. In 1873, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a line through the new town of Flatonia, bypassing Praha. Soon residents and businesses began moving to Flatonia to be closer to the railroad. The Praha post office was operated from 1884 to 1906. A Czech Catholic school was established in 1896. From 1968 to 2000 the population remained at 25. The Praha schools closed in 1973. St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church still holds mass. The church and community have celebrated the Feast of the Assumption on August 15th since 1855. This annual event attracts more than 5,000 visitors, many of them Czechoslovakians. Praha also holds an annual Veteran’s Day commemoration. Praha is located a short distance south of U.S. 90 at the intersection of FM 1295 and South Knezek Road, three miles southeast of Flatonia, 37 miles east of Luling, 15 miles southeast of Cistern, 27 miles southwest of La Grange, 17.6 miles southwest of Swiss Alp, 12 miles southwest of Freyburg, 18.3 miles west of Weimar, 10.7 miles west of Schulenburg, 28 miles northwest of Hallettsville, 22 miles northwest of Shiner, 11.8 miles northeast of Moulton, and 31 miles northeast of Gonzales, Texas.
Historic St. Mary's (Painted Church), Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Considered the oldest rural Catholic parish in Texas, St. Mary's was settled before the Texas War for Independence by such pioneers as James Brown, who was killed in the siege of the Alamo. First church edifice for St. Marys was built in 1840 under influence of missionary Fathers George Haydon and Edward A. Clarke, who also opened school for the settlement. This was one of ten churches comprising Texas' First Diocese (Galveston) at its formation in 1847. Many priests' and sisters' vocations have come from this historic parish.”
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church, Fayette County:
The church was designed in gothic revival style by architect O. Kramer. Much of the interior was painted by Swiss born Gottfried Flury from Moulton, Texas. Later the interior was embellished by Father Netardus who became priest of the church in 1901. The church grounds include three small chapels, a cemetery, and a granite monument paying tribute to the town’s men killed in World War II. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 865-3560. The church is located at 821 FM 1295, approximately 3 miles southeast of Flatonia, Texas 78941. History & Photos 
Historic Praha Cemetery, 1886:
Veteran’s Day services and a re-enactment of the Pearl Harbor attack are held the Sunday before Veteran’s Day. The ceremony includes a ceremonious fly-over and the dropping of flowers out of the plane’s window.
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook
Swiss Alp Dance Hall, Garten, & Grill, Early 1900s, Swiss Alp, TX:
As of 2013, the dance hall is under new management. The dance hall is available for bookings and the restaurant is available for lease. (979) 743-6743. The dance hall is located at 6940 U.S. 77, 9.6 miles south of La Grange, 7 miles north of Schulenburg and 13.6 miles northwest of Weimar, Texas. Email 
Annual Praha Pout Picnic,15 August:
This event is held on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on August 15th, each year at St. Mary’s Church in Praha, Texas, 3.5 miles southeast of Flatonia. Activities begin with Mass, followed by food, Czech music, an auction, bingo and other games, a fish pond, a country store and more. This celebration lasts well into the night. For information, call St. Mary’s Catholic Church; (361) 865-3560. The church is located at 821 FM 1295, approximately 3 miles southeast of Flatonia, Texas 78941.
Kloesel's Steakhouse & Bar, 1970, in Moulton:
This restaurant is located in the Old Moore Hotel. It serves premium steak cuts, pastas, seafood, chicken, salads and desserts. They offer dinner and lunch specials, pool tournaments on Wednesdays, and dancing to DJ music every Friday and Saturday night from 10pm-2am. The restaurant is open Mon, 11am-2pm; Tue-Sat, 11am-10pm, Sun, 11am-9pm; closed Monday evening. (361) 596-7323. 101 Moore Street, Moulton, Texas. Moulton is located 8.4 miles southwest of Flatonia. Reviews