Contact
 
 
County
Bastrop
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,817
2000 Census - 3,901
Nearby
Towns
Smithville, Texas
null
Smithville Texas History:
The town was established in 1827 by Thomas Gazeley who established a store near the present townsite. The settlement that grew up around the store was named Smithville after early settler William smith. The Smithville post office was established in 1876. In 1887, the Bastrop and Taylor Railway built a line two miles west of Smithville. The seventeen Smithville families moved to the new railroad site. In 1890, Smithville had two hotels, three millineries, a physician’s office and 616 residents. Within three years the railroad line was extended to Houston and to Lockhart, causing town to rapidly grow. The railroad was eventually renamed the Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railroad, and in 1891, it merged with the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. After the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad established its central shops in Smithville in 1894, the town’s population doubled. By 1900, the now incorporated Smithville had 2,577 residents, several businesses, a YMCA, four churches, two hotels and four physicians’ offices. The population peaked in the mid-1940s at an estimated 4,200. Today, Smithville is a center for the manufacturing industry, and farming and livestock industries. Several movies have been filmed in Smithville. The movie “Hope Floats”, featuring Sandra Bullock, was filmed in various locations throughout the town. Bullock’s home in the movie was the house located at 201 E. 8th Street. The 2008 movie “Tree of Life” starring Brad Pit, was also filmed in Smithville; Brad Pits’ dog was a local dog. The antebellum mansion and other historic homes featured in the movie are located just off Main Street. Smithville is located on the Colorado River on the southwest side of SH 71, at the intersections of Loop 230/SH 95, FM 535 and FM 2571, 45 miles southeast of Austin, 34 miles southeast of Elroy, 30 miles southeast of Elgin, 13 miles southeast of Bastrop, 35 miles southwest of Round Top, 26 miles southwest of Giddings, 21 miles northwest of La Grange, 35 miles northwest of Fayetteville, 39 miles northwest of Schulenburg, 26.5 miles north of Flatonia, 46 miles northeast of Luling, 56 miles northeast of San Marcos, and 46.6 miles northeast of Lockhart, Texas.  
 
Historic Smithville, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran de Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a ferry here on the Colorado River in 1836. Steamboats plied the river from 1845 to about 1865. The village of "Old Smithville" was laid out on 640 acres of land granted to Thomas J. Gazley and Lewis Lomas. The town was located along the Colorado River in the northeast section of present Smithville. There were mercantile stores, dry good shops, and a Masonic lodge. In 1876 the first post office was established with John Pride Jones as postmaster. The Taylor, Bastrop & Houston Railroad, later a part of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas system, arrived in 1887, and the town relocated along the tracks. The legend is that a coin was tossed to decide if the name would be changed to Burlesonville for Murray Burleson, who gave land for the railroad depot. The coin toss resulted in "Smithville" being retained as the name, apparently in honor of pioneer settler William Smith. The town was incorporated in 1895 and T. C. Collins served as the first mayor.” 316 Main Street.
 
Smithville Crawford Municipal Airport:
This publicly owned airport is managed by the City of Smithville. A courtesy car is available. (512) 237-3500. The airport is located 2 miles north of Smithville at 789 Northwest SH 95, just south of SH 71. Facebook
 
Wi-Fi Hot Spots:
Signs are posted in wireless access areas. Several restaurants including Pocket's Grille, Mary Catherine's, and Sherry's Kitchen offer wireless access to customers. It is also available at the Pilot’s Lounge at the airport. Riverbend Park has fee-based Wi-Fi throughout the park. The library and Recreation Center have computers available for use.