Contact
 
 
County
Frio
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 9,146
2000 Census - 7,157
Nearby
Towns
Pearsall, Texas
null
Pearsall Texas History:
During the 1870s, the wagon trains stopped at a well located on a large sheep ranch. They named the site Waggoner’s (Wagner’s) Well. In 1882, the International-Great Northern Railroad purchased the land around the well and platted the town of Pearsall, naming it for the vice president of the railroad. The railroad offered excursion train trips for possible settlers interested in viewing the town and lots. Residents and businesses from the County seat town of Frio City moved to Pearsall to be closer to the railroad. In 1882 the town had a population of 700, had a school, churches, a weekly newspaper, and was named the new county seat. Pearsall was the beginning of the Chisholm Cattle Trail. The town had cattle drives down main street, public hangings, and unfenced open range until 1887. The town’s population was 1,000 when a fire burned much of downtown in 1890. In 1907, the Frio Cotton Oil Company was founded, and the Pearsall Artesian Well Company was founded to provide the town with electricity. By 1914, the population was 2,000 and the town boasted the 500 seat Laurel Opera House. Oil was discovered in the 1930s; in the 1980s, Pearsall had another oil boom. Pearsall is located in the transition area from the irrigated farmland of the Winter Garden area of the Rio Grande Valley, to semiarid brush and chaparral. Agricultural crops include several varieties of legumes such as peas, beans, clover, alfalfa, soybeans and others. The main crop is peanuts; the area harvests over 55 million pounds of peanuts annually. A giant peanut monument is located downtown. Other crops include cotton, corn, grain, sorghum, watermelon and cantaloupe, a large variety of vegetables, pecans and herbs. Cattle ranching is also an important industry. The town is also located in the Golden Triangle area of South Texas, a premiere hunting area. Frio River fishing is popular. Country singer George Strait was raised in Pearsall. The town is billed as the “Heart of South Texas Hunting.” Pearsall is located at the intersections of IH-35, FM 1582 and FM 140, 56 miles southwest of San Antonio, 42 miles southwest of Castroville, 23 miles southwest of Devine, 46 miles northeast of Artesia Wells, 17 miles northwest of Dilley, 55 miles southeast of Uvalde, 36 miles slightly southeast of Batesville, 44 miles south of Hondo, and 24 miles south of Yancy, Texas. 
 
Historic Frio County, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(Created 1858, Organized 1871) Home of Paschal Indians before Spaniards arrived in Mexico (1519). First area explorer was Alonso de Leon, 1690, searching for Fort St. Louis founded by La Salle. Upper Presidio Road--artery of travel from Saltillo, Mexico, to East Texas--crossed Frio River and became a King's Highway, 1720. Frio Town, first county seat, was located on the road, over which Santa Anna marched to destroy defenders of the Alamo in 1836. County took name from Frio (a Spanish word which means "cold") River. The county seat moved to Pearsall, 1883. Jail, built 1884, is the oldest building in town.” The marker is located on the Courthouse lawn.
 
Historic Old Frio Town, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Was maintained on this site from December 1, 1876 to April 1, 1877 by Captain Neal Coldwell’s company, the escort of Major John B. Jones, commander of the Frontier Battalion.” The marker is located on FM 140 at the Frio Town Cemetery, 3 miles southwest of Frio Town, and 16 miles northwest of Pearsall, Texas. 
 
Frio County Courthouse, 1904:
The brick courthouse was designed in Romanesque Revival style by architect H.T. Phelps. The courthouse was altered in 1937 and 1950. The original impressive looking courthouse had a third story, a hipped roof with dormers and a bell tower. The 2010 Frio County census was 17,217. (830) 334-2154. 500 East San Antonio Street.
 
Frio County Courthouse in Old Frio Town, 1877, and Photos:
Frio Town was the first county seat of Frio County. The 1872 courthouse burned in 1877. A new stone courthouse was constructed with assistance from local rancher W.J. Slaughter; it is still standing on private property in Old Frio Town. It is located on FM 140, 16 miles northwest of Pearsall on the opposite side of town from the Old Frio Cemetery. 
 
Frio County Jail, 1884:
Jail construction cost $11,000 in 1884. It was used as a jail and jailer’s residence until 1967. The second floor and part of the first floor housed the jail. In1885, two cells were added for female or juvenile prisoners and for the insane. Water was supplied by a well. During prohibition confiscated bootleg liquor was stored in one of the cells. The jail is the oldest building in Pearsall and now houses a museum. The jail is located at 401 Pecan Street.
 
Frio County Jail & Frio Pioneer Jail Museum, 1884: 
The Pearsall Chamber of Commerce is located in the building. The museum features Indian and pioneer exhibits and vintage photos depicting the early days of Frio County. The jail is a Texas Historical Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is open for tours on Saturday. (830) 334-5154. 410 E. Pecan Street, Pearsall, Texas 78061.
 
Pearsall Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 9am-2pm. (830) 334-2496. 200 East Trinity Street. 
 
Triple R (Ranch) Rodeos:
This group organizes and hosts ranch rodeos. (830) 334-7170. 1627 FM 2779, Pearsall. Email
 
Annual Frio County Junior Livestock Show, Jan:
For information call the Frio County Extension Agent. (830) 334-0099. The office is located at 400 South Pecan Street.
 
Annual Old Iron Trail Ride, 3rd Saturday in May, D’Hanis:
Participants drive antique farm tractors, and old farm cars and trucks; no horses. If you do not have an appropriate vehicle, ride on the hayride wagon. This parade begins and ends at Morales Feed and Supply on in D’Hanis, Texas at 1324 SH 173 North. Proceeds benefit the Make a Wish foundation.
 
Annual El Monstruo del Monte Big Game Contest, Dilley:
This contest is sponsored by DF & G Wildlife Supply in Dilley, Texas. 350 South Main Street, Dilley, Texas 78017. (830) 965-1622. (830) 965-3460.  
 
Taqueria Jalisco Mexican Restaurant:
(830) 334-4360. 626 North Oak Street. Reviews 
 
Cowpokes Bar-B-Q:
Apparently has good coconut pie. (830) 334-8000. 1855 W. Comal Street. Reviews