Contact
 
 
County
Swisher
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 4,967
2000 Census - 5,117
Nearby
Towns
Tulia, Texas
null
Tulia Texas History:
Tulia is located on a portion of the original Tule Ranch division of the JA Ranch. In 1887, James A. Parrish established a post office in his dugout on Middle Tule Draw, 9 miles west of present day Tulia. When W. G. Conner became postmaster in 1889, the post office was moved nine miles east to his homestead. A school/church was established on Conner’s property that same year. When Swisher County was organized in 1890, Conner’s property was chosen to the future townsite of Tulia. Conner donated land for the courthouse, the school, and the city park, which is named after him. Tulia became a stopping point for freight-wagon traffic in route to the railheads of Colorado City and Amarillo. An original Ozark Trail marker is located on the square as a reminder that Tulia was a major stop on that historic route. Tulia began to grow more rapidly after 1906 arrival of the Santa Fe Railway. Tulia incorporated that same year. By 1910, Tulia had 1,216 residents. Between 1910 and 1920 Tulia became known as the City of Windmills, because of the proliferation of windmills in the vicinity. The main streets were paved with bricks in the 1920s. In 1945 William Kirk Hulsey constructed a landing strip north of town; it was enlarged into a municipal airport in 1964. Today Tulia remains a center for farming and agricultural related activities. Tulia is located at the intersections of U.S. 27/U.S. 87 and SH 86, 26 miles north of Plainview, 72 miles north of Lubbock, 32 miles east of Dimmitt, 53 miles southeast of Hereford, 33 miles southeast of Canyon and the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, 52.4 miles south of Amarillo, 43.6 miles northwest of Quitaque, and 26.8 miles slightly northwest of Silverton, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Swisher County Courthouse, 1909:
The original beautiful red brick and sandstone courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by Elmer George Withers. The courthouse was severely damaged in a fire and had to be rebuilt. Architects Rittenberry & Rittenberry completed the 1962 remodeling. The 2010 Swisher County census was 7,854. (806) 995-3504. 119 South Maxwell Avenue.
 
Annual Tulia "Picnic" the Third Saturday in July:
The annual “Picnic” features a parade, rodeo, live music on the square, dances, a barbeque cook-off, food vendors, children’s entertainment, and reunion celebrations. The rodeo, parade and barbeque are held on Saturday. Other events are held on the preceding days. (806) 995-2296. Email 
 
Annual Mackenzie Lake Bass Tournament, June:
This event is sponsored by the Tulia and Silverton Chambers of Commerce. (806) 995-2296. Email 
 
Paidom Meats, Nazareth, TX:
Alan Birkenfield grows and sells hormone, chemical, and antibiotic grass-fed beef, lamb, goat, pork, chicken, and eggs. Meats may be ordered in bulk by variety packages (different meats) and selected cut packages, or by half or whole beef, pork, goat, or lamb. (806) 945-2218. HCR 1, Box 56, Nazareth, Texas 79063. Nazareth is located on SH 86, 20 miles west of Tulia. Email  Nazareth Area Map
 
El Camino Dining Room:
They serve good food including their famous chili Rellenos. (806) 995-4083. 225 South 87th Street. Reviews   
 
El Burrito Restaurant:
They serve breakfast all day. (806) 995-4124. 402 Southeast 2nd Street.