Contact
 
 
County
Austin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 6,019
2000 Census - 5,248
Nearby
Towns
Sealy, Texas
null
Sealy Texas History:
The first Anglo-American settlement in the area began in the early 1820s when San Felipe de Austin (San Felipe) was founded on the west Bank of the Brazos River a few miles northeast of present day Sealy. Sealy was founded in 1875 when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad established the townsite of Bullinger’s Creek and built railroad yards and a roundhouse. This settlement became a shipping center for local ranchers and farmers. When the post office was established in 1880 it was named Sealy in honor of George Sealy, a director of the railroad. In 1895 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad extended a spur through the town; in 2001 the Cane Belt Railroad also extended a spur to Sealy. Around 1900 the town experienced a series of misfortunes, including a disastrous Brazos River flood in 1899, the relocation of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe division headquarters to Bellville in January of the next year, and the devastating hurricane of 1900, which struck in September. The Sealy Mattress Factory, the Engleking Brothers Broom Factory, the Sealy National Bank and other local businesses provided an economic base for the community. A prehistoric aboriginal cemetery dating back to 2600 B.C. has been unearthed along the Brazos River near Sealy; the site is known as “Texas’ Oldest Human Cemetery.” Sealy is located at the intersections of SH 36 (Meyer Street), IH-10 and FM 1094, 5.6 miles southwest of San Felipe, 22 miles west of Katy, 35.5 miles west of Addicks, 51 miles west of Houston, 12.8 miles northwest of Wallis, 36 miles north of Wharton, 19 northeast of Eagle Lake, 25 miles northeast of Columbus, 14.5 miles west of Brookshire, 51 southeast of La Grange, 44 miles southeast of Round Top, 41 miles southeast of Fayetteville, 28 miles southeast of Industry, 26 miles southeast of Shelby, 26.5 miles southeast of Frelsburg, 22.5 miles southeast of New Ulm, 13.6 miles southeast of Bellville, 12.9 miles southeast of Cat Spring, and 32.3 miles southeast of Brenham, Texas.
 
Santa Fe Heritage Park & Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the early days of Sealy and Austin County, including a collection from Huey Long, one of the original Ink Spots musicians. The complex also features a railroad caboose, an early maintainer, the old Sealy jail, and an original settler’s prairie home. The jail was originally built in 1884; it burned in an 1887 jail break and was rebuilt that same year. The museum is open by appointment only. (979) 885-3222. The museum is located on 211 Main Street at the corner Silliman Street.
 
Haynes (Sealy) Mattress Factory Museum:
In 1885, Daniel Haynes invented a process and a machine to manufacture a felted cotton, non-tufted mattress. The mattress was sold throughout the Southern U.S. In 1906, Haynes sold his patent to a group of businessmen who formed the Sealy Mattress Company. The building was built in the early 1900s and still contains the early machinery and equipment. It may be viewed by appointment. 305 Hardeman Street. (979) 885-3222.  
 
Blinn College, Sealy Campus:
(979) 627-7997. 3701 Outlet Center Drive, Sealy, Texas 77474
 
Virgil & Josephine Gordon Memorial Library:
The library offers traditional library services, homework help, children’s storytime, a summer reading program, many programs for middle school students, a meeting room, a Gordon Memorabilia Room, public computer access with internet access, Wi-Fi, a copier, and a fax machine. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-5:30pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; closed Friday and Sunday. (979) 885-7469. 917 North Circle Drive, Sealy.  Email