Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 1,143
2000 Census - 1,081
Sterling City, Texas
Sterling Texas History:
Sterling City was established on the North Concho River in 1891 as the Sterling County Seat. It was named in honor of W. S. Sterling, an early buffalo hunter and Indian fighter. R.C. Stewart donated the townsite which was platted by H.B. Tarver. After its founding, residents and businesses from Cummins relocated to the county seat. By June a hotel and several businesses were operating. The post office was established later that same year. In 1896 the community had a school, a hotel, a cotton gin, seven other businesses, three churches and 300 residents, eight businesses, and three churches. The Santa Fe Railroad provided service in 1910 but was later discontinued. Sterling City was noted for its windmills, which at one time numbered 150. The town incorporated in 1955. In the late 1980s the town remained a ranching center and derived income from county petroleum production. Sterling City is located on the North Concho River at the intersections of SH 163, U.S. 87 and SH 158 (Robert Lee Highway), 32 miles east of Garden City, 44 miles southeast of Big Spring, 44.5 miles southwest of Colorado City, 72 miles southwest of Sweetwater, 71 miles west of Ballinger, 35 miles west of Robert Lee, and 43 miles northwest of San Angelo, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Historic Camp Elizabeth, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In the early 1850s, the site was established as a Texas Rangers camp. Fort Concho assumed ownership in the mid-1870s as Indian attacks increased. Camp Elizabeth was used as an outpost hospital facility. The camp was described as a rock corral for horses, officers’ quarters and tents for the enlisted men. A farrier had space to work and between the camp and the river, the land was used to break horses and / or teach horsemanship. The camp was abandoned in 1886 and although everything was left in place for a possible reactivation, local ranchers demolished the place to deter its use by dubious individuals who hung out there. The historical marker designated the presumed site.” The site is located 9 miles northwest of Sterling City on U.S. 87.
Sterling County Courthouse, 1938:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style with Art Deco window details by architect David S. Castle. The 2010 Sterling County census was 1,143. (325) 378-3481. 609 West 4th Avenue, Sterling City, Texas 76951.  
Sterling County Jail, 1912, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This two-story jail building was constructed in 1912, twenty-one years after the organization of Sterling County. Built by the Southern Structural Steel Co., it is located on property deeded to the county by Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Stewart. Stone for the exterior was quarried locally. The interior included a downstairs living area for the sheriff and seven cells on the upper floor. An addition to the rear was completed in the 1960s.” The jail now houses the Sterling City Senior Center. (325) 378-4400.
Concho, San Saba & Llano Valley Railroad Depot:
The railroad arrived in 1909. A boxcar served as the depot until this mission revival building was completed. The station is located at 410 Stadium Street at the intersection Washington Street.
Sterling City Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-5pm. (325) 378-2212. 301 Main Street.
Sterling City Community Center:
Amenities include a large kitchen with a stove and two ovens, restrooms, smaller meeting area which is carpeted, a larger area, and the barn area. The center may be reserved for private events. (325) 378-4871. 
Sterling City Senior Center:
The Senior Center is located in the historic Concho, San Saba & Llano Valley Railroad depot. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the center provides activities, social and wellness programs for seniors, and lunches for all residents for a donation. Meals on Wheels is available every day. The depot may be rented for private events. (325) 378-4400. 410 Stadium Street. Email
Annual Hunter’s BBQ, 1st Saturday in Nov:
Hunter appreciation dinners are held in Robert Lee, Bronte, Ballinger, Sterling City and Blackwell, Texas. All are held on the first Saturday in November with the exception of Sterling City’s dinner which is held mid-November. Each year the details of the dinners are printed in Robert Lee’s Observer Enterprise Newspaper. Newspaper: (325) 453-2433. Newspaper Email