Contact
 
 
County
Collin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 41,427
2000 Census - 15,132
Nearby
Towns
Wylie, Texas
null
Wylie Texas History:
In the early 1870s, the town of Nickelville was established.  In 1886, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a line 0.5 miles north of Nickelville, and Nickelville residents and businesses moved to be closer to the railroad station. The new town was named Wylie after the railroad’s right-of-way agent. The town incorporated, and the Wylie post office was established that same year. In 1888, the St. Louis Southwestern Railway built a line through the town, enabling the town to become a shipping and commercial center for area farmers. By 1900, Wylie had 773 residents. Unlike most rural Texas towns, Wylie grew during the Great Depression because its farming and dairy products which were needed by Dallas residents. The 1953 impoundment of Lavon Lake north of town added tourism to the town’s economic base and contributed to the increase in population. The town’s proximity to Dallas has helped the town’s growth. The downtown Wylie Historic District has been well preserved. Wylie is located on the southwest shore of Lavon Lake on SH 78, 9.8 miles north of Rowlett, 39 miles northeast of Grapevine, 29.5 miles northeast of Dallas, 22.5 miles northeast of Mesquite, 12 miles northwest of Rockwall,10 miles northeast of Garland, 4 miles northeast of Sachse, 10.7 miles east of Plano, 49 miles southeast of Denton, 34 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 31 miles southeast of Frisco, 18 miles southeast of McKinney, 14 miles southeast of Fairview, 17 miles southwest of Princeton, 32.6 miles southwest of Greenville, 32.5 miles northwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 30 miles northwest of Terrell, and 17 miles northwest of Royse City, Texas.
 
Veterans Memorial in Olde City Park:
The monument features benches and dedicated pavers. The Chamber of Commerce is setting up a link to the new Monument web site which will feature profiles of those honored. The park is located at Ballard Avenue and SH 78 in downtown Wylie. (972) 442-7714.
 
Southfork Ranch & the TV Show “Dallas,” Parker:
This internationally renowned ranch was the filming location for the "Dallas" television series. The Ewing Mansion is furnished and decorated with furniture and memorabilia used during the filming of the show. Two themed stores and Miss Ellie’s Deli are located on the premises. The ranch offers daily tram and house tours, and hosts special events. It is available for private and public events. (800) 989-7800. (972) 442-7800. The ranch is located at 3700 Hogge Road in Parker, Texas. Parker is located at the intersection of FM 2514 (E. Parker Road) and Dillehay Drive, 6 miles northeast of Plano,6 miles southeast of Allen, 4.8 miles southeast of Lucas, 7.3 miles northwest of Wylie, and 7 miles northwest of Sachse, Texas. Email  Parker Map; Click to Enlarge  Parker Area Map 
 
Rita & Truett Smith Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, a GED prep course, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon, Tue &Thu, Noon-8pm; Wed, 9am-6pm; Fri, 11am-5pm; Sat, 9am-4pm; closed Sunday. (972) 516-6250. The library is located in the Wylie Municipal Complex 300 Country Club Road. Email