Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 22,194
2000 Census - 22,336
Plainview, Texas
Plainview Texas History:
In 1866, the Z.T. Maxwell family and Edwin Lowden Lowe settled in the Plainview area. The two established the town, and established the Plainview post office in 1887. In 1888, Plainview was elected the county seat of the newly formed Hale County. By 1889, the town had a courthouse, a store, church, school, hotel, a newspaper and 75 residents. Because of the good soil, abundant water and good ranchland, the town grew rapidly. In 1906, the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway built a line to Plainview, causing agriculture to boom in the area. Plainview became a shipping and commercial center for area farmers and ranchers. It incorporated in 1907. By 1910, Plainview had approximately 3,000 residents. 1909, Dr. John H. Wayland gave land and funds for the founding of a Wayland Baptist College, now Wayland Baptist University. Today, Plainview is still primarily an agricultural town. The citywide art project features painted cows. Plainview is located at the intersections of U.S.87/IH-20, U.S. 70, and SH 194, 59.6 miles east of Muleshoe, 57 miles southeast of Canyon, 44 miles southeast of Dimmitt, 76 miles south of Amarillo, 26 miles south of Tulia, 50 miles southwest of Silverton, 70 miles southwest of Quitaque, 58 miles northwest of Crosbyton, 27 miles northwest of Floydada, 48 miles north of Lubbock, 57 miles northeast of Littlefield, and 13.7 miles northeast of Hale Center, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.  Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
Hale County Courthouse, 1910:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance and Beaux-Arts style by architect H.A. Overbeck. The 2010 Hale County census was 36,273. (806) 291-5214. 500 Broadway Street.