Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 100
2000 Census - 100
Nearby
Towns
Quihi, Texas
null
Quihi Texas History:
The town was developed in 1845 by Henri Castro as part of his plan to start communities along the perimeter of his land; the first 10 Alsatian families moved here in 1846. Quihi is located on Quihi Creek at the intersection of FM 2676 and CR 4516 (Old Castroville Road), 5 miles northeast of Hondo, and 12 miles northwest of Castro, Texas.
 
Historic Town of Quihi, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Surveyed in October, 1844, by Henry Castro, 1781-1861, distinguished pioneer and colonizer of Texas est. in March, 1845. By ten families in charge of Louis Huth, agent for Castro. Many settlers were killed by Indians before 1860.” The marker is located at the dead end of CR 4520, across from the Bethlehem Lutheran Church on FM 2676.
 
Henri Castro, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Henri Castro, a native of Bayonne, France, and the descendant of Portuguese nobility, served briefly in Napoleon's French Army. In 1813 he married Marie Amelia Mathias. He later immigrated to the United States and in 1827 became a naturalized U.S. Citizen. He returned to France in 1838 and joined the banking house of Lafitte and Company. While there he helped negotiate a loan for the Republic of Texas for which a grateful President Sam Houston later appointed him Texas' General Consul in Paris. Between 1843 and 1847 Castro administered, as Empresario, the settlement of at least 2,134 European colonists in this area. Castro eventually exhausted his own personal wealth to sustain his colonial effort. His extraordinary dedication to his colonists has led many to compare him favorably to the legendary Stephen F. Austin. Henri and Marie lived in Castroville with their four foster children. By 1860, however, the family was living in San Antonio. Henri and his son, Lorrenzo, traveled to Eagle Pass to run a family mercantile business. On his way to France in 1865, Castro was diverted to Monterrey, Mexico, where he became ill and died. He was buried in Monterrey in 1865. In 1876 the newly created Castro County, Texas, was named for Henri Castro.” The marker is located in Castroville at September Square; bordered by U.S. 90, Alamo, Lafayette and Fiorella Streets, Castroville, Texas.
 
Bethlehem Lutheran Church:
“The Rev. Christian Oefinger, serving as pastor of the Castroville Lutheran Church, led in founding this congregation in March 1852. The first church building was dedicated in 1854, coincidental with a synod convention held in Castroville. Bethlehem Lutheran Church hosted synod meetings in 1869, 1875, and 1894. The present brick structure, dedicated in 1914, was built largely by parishioners. St. John's Lutheran Church of New Fountain, founded in the late 1850s by the Rev. A. Kitterer and served by Bethlehem's pastor, merged with this congregation in 1949.” FM 2676, Quihi (8 miles northeast of Hondo). 
 
Historic Oefinger House, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This well-preserved example of late Victorian architecture was built in 1909 by Christian Oefinger (1861-1950), son of early German immigrant Andreas Oefinger (b. 1819) and Ursula Nee Fuos, and his wife Marie (Schuele) (1872-1918). A third bedroom, added in 1915, served as a boarding house for a local schoolteacher. The house exhibits an asymmetrical plan with crafted wood details and metal roof cresting. The house remained in the Oefinger family for several generations.” The house is located 2.7 miles north of Quihi on FM 2676.Photos
 
Quihi Gun Club & Dance Hall and Photos, Quihi, TX:
The Quihi Schuetzen (shooting) Verein (club) was organized on Quihi Creek on May 26, 1890 as protection from Indian attacks; it is now called the Quihi Gun Club, and is one of the oldest social clubs in the country with over 600 members. The flooding of Elm and Quihi Creeks washed the buildings away three times before the current building was erected on 6 foot high pillars. Dances on its wooden dance floor are held the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. The club also has a shooting stand for members, and huge barbecue pits. Quihi is located on Quihi Creek at the intersection of FM 2676 and CR 4516 (Old Castroville Road), 5 miles northeast of Hondo, Texas. From U.S. 90 on the east side of Hondo, drive one mile north on FM 173. Drive approximately four miles east on FM 2676 to the Quihi Gun Club sign. (830) 426-2859. Quihi Area Map 
 
Porky's Texas Spirits Saloon, Rio Medina, TX:
The front bar is housed in a 1945 gas station; the Mayflower Dance Hall was added in the 1990s. A later remodeling job increased the size of the front bar, and added A/C and heat to the back bar and dance hall. On beautiful days, the swing-up windows are opened. Amenities include a juke box, pool tables and occasional live music. They host music and dancing on Friday and Saturday nights, except during private parties. They open daily at noon, and close at 2am on weekends, and at approximately midnight on weekdays. (830) 538-2300. 3940 FM 471 North, Rio Medina, Texas. From Castroville take FM 471 north to Rio Medina.Rio Medina Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Rio Medina Area Map 
 
Rio Medina General Store, Early 1900s, Rio Medina, TX:
The store was established as the San Geronimo Store in the early 1900s; it has been in continuous operation ever since it opened. In 1908 the name was changed to Rio Medina when the U.S. post office was established in the store. The store is still the social center of the Rio Medina community. The store sells fresh and dry Alsatian sausage and parisa (made locally), homemade sandwiches, cold old-time sodas, hardware, farm and ranch supplies, antiques and collectibles, and still serves as the post office. Open Mon-Sat, 11am-4pm. (830) 538-2441. The store is located at 3980 FM 471 North in Rio Medina, Texas. Rio Medina is located at the intersection of FM 2676 and FM 471, 22.8 miles northeast of Hondo, 7 miles north of Castroville, and 10 miles southeast of Mico, Texas. Rio Medina Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Rio Medina Area Map 
 
Annual Old Iron Trail Ride, 3rd Saturday in May, Castroville:
Participants drive antique farm tractors, and old farm cars and trucks; no horses. If you do not have an appropriate vehicle, ride on the hayride wagon. Tractors must be able to travel 8 to 10 miles per hour. This parade begins and ends at Wommack Chevrolet (1955 U.S. 90). Proceeds benefit the Make a Wish foundation. Start time is 9am. The lunch stop is at Sammy’s Restaurant at 202 U.S. 90 East. Email