Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 1,481
2000 Census - 1,450
Plains, Texas
Plains Texas History:
The first settlers were the Miller family who settled in the area in the late 1800s. The W.J. Luna family arrived in 1905 and settled on Sulphur Springs Draw. When Luna founded the town he donated a town lot to each voter, donated land for the Yoakum County and Plains Cemeteries, and established a store and the 1906 Plains post office. In 1907, Plains was designated county seat of the newly organized Yoakum County. The first town library was a bookshelf maintained by Mrs. Marion McGinty and other residents. By 1922, Plains had two cemeteries, a newspaper, a courthouse, grocery and general stores, a barbershop, a drugstore, and a real estate office. When the town was founded, Sulphur Springs Draw was a running stream, but it has dried up because of pumping water for irrigation and town use. The lack of water caused most of the wildlife has left the area. The draw is now a park. The 1936 discovery of oil in the area caused the town and county to grow. Plains is located 13 miles east of the New Mexico border at the intersections of SH 214, U.S. 380 and U.S. 82, 46 miles northeast of Hobbs (New Mexico), 74 miles south of Muleshoe, 39 miles south of Morton, 16.4 miles South of Denver City, 72 miles southwest of Lubbock, 56.5 miles southwest of Levelland, 62 miles west of Tahoka, 32 miles west of Brownfield, 69 miles northwest of Lamesa, 36.4 miles northwest of Seminole, and 31 miles northwest of Seagraves, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Yoakum County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 456-2263. 901 Avenue G, Plains, TX 79355. Email
Yoakum County Courthouse, 1926:
This red brick courthouse is not in current use. It is located west of the 1949 courthouse.
Yoakum County Courthouse, 1949:
The brick courthouse was designed in modern style by Wyatt C. Hedrick. The 2010 Yoakum County census was 7,879. (806) 456-7491. 
Tsa Mo Ga Memorial Museum:
The museum is housed in a 1903 bonus shack. A "bonus shack” was a tiny shack that settlers had to occupy a specified time in order to obtain title to land. Early settlers used similar buildings to establish their claim to the land. This 1903 bonus shack is maintained by the Texas Federation of Women’s Club as a museum. Call (806) 456-8855 for a museum viewing appointment. The museum is located at 1109 B, Avenue H.
Yoakum County Library:
The library building was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. It provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon, Wed & Thu-Fri, 9am-5:30pm; Tue, 2pm-8pm. (806) 456-7056. The library is located at 9th and E Streets. 
Zia Park & Black Gold Casino & Race Track, Hobbs, New Mexico:
(575) 492-7000. (888) ZIA-PARK. 3901 W. Millen Drive, Hobbs, NM 88240.
Annual Newsom Vineyards Grape Day, May:
This is an educational event for grape growers and wine makers. This event is held in Newsom’s Barn on FM 2196, approximately 1 mile east of FM 214 North, Plains, Texas.