Contact
 
 
County
Wheeler
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,190
2000 Census - 2,029
Nearby
Towns
Shamrock, Texas
null
Shamrock Texas History:
In 1890, Irish immigrant and sheep rancher George Nickel applied for a post office to be located in his dugout, six miles north of present day Shamrock. He chose the name Shamrock because it represented good luck and courage. The name was accepted, but the post office never opened, probably because his dugout burned that same year. Later, the Shamrock post office opened and was operated by postmistress Mary R. Jones. The town of Wheeler was established in 1902 when the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway built a line through the area. Frank Exum established a post office in his name. In 1903, the railroad named its train stop Shamrock, and Exum’s post office closed and the Shamrock post office reopened. Shamrock initially competed with the nearby communities of Story and Benonine to become the marketing and shipping center for the area, but by 1907, most of the businesses and residents in those towns had moved to Shamrock. Shamrock incorporated in 1911. In 1923, the J.M. Porter ranch laid a water main, eliminating the need to haul water to town in barrels. Later, wells were dug. By 1925, the population had grown to 2,500. Oil was discovered in the area in 1926, and the population had increased to 3,778 by 1930.  The improvement the famous U.S. Route 66 caused the main avenue of Shamrock to boom with garages, filling stations, restaurants, and tourist courts. Many of these later closed or moved out to the bypass after Interstate Highway 40 was completed. In the 1980s, Shamrock continued to prosper. A fragment of the genuine Blarney Stone from Blarney Castle in County Cork, Ireland, is mounted on a pillar in Elmore Park. Shamrock’s 1938 water tower is famous for being the tallest water tower of its type in Texas. Scenes from the movies “Cars” and “Cars II” where shot in Shamrock and include Shamrock’s famous former Tower Service Station and U-Drop Inn restaurant. Shamrock is located at the intersection of U.S. 83 (Main Street), and U.S. 40 (formerly Route 66), 96 miles east of Amarillo, 23 miles east of McLean, 59 miles southeast of Pampa, 50 miles southeast of Miami, 51 miles south of Canadian, 26 miles north of Wellington, and 17 miles south of Wheeler, Texas.
 
Wheeler County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 826-5243. 7939 U.S. 83, Wheeler, Texas 79096. Email 
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Route 66:
Also known as the Will Rogers Highway, and colloquially known as the “Main Street of America” or the “Mother Road,” Route 66 was established in 1926 with road signs erected in 1927. The 2,448 miles highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California before ending at Los Angeles, California. A Route 88 slogan was “Get Your Kicks on Route 66.”It was immortalized in a hit song recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946, and by the 1960s Route 66 television show. Route 66 served as a major path for those who migrated west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and it supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive in the face of the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System. In 1985 Route 66 was officially removed from the U.S. Highway System after being replaced by the Interstate Highway System. After the road was decommissioned in 1985, federal and state agencies, private organizations, and numerous members of public realized that remnants of the road were quickly disappearing, and that the remaining significant structures, features, and artifacts associated with the road should be preserved. In 1990, the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 102-400, the Route 66 Study Act of 1990. The act recognized that Route 66 "has become a symbol of the American people's heritage of travel and their legacy of seeking a better life." The legislation resulted in the National Park Service conducting the Route 66 Special Resource Study to evaluate the significance of Route 66 in American history, and to identify options for its preservation, interpretation, and use. The document provides an in-depth account of significance and history of Route 66. This study led to enactment of Public Law 106-45, and the creation of the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program.Several states have established Route 66 State Associations. Texas towns located along Route 66 include, Lela, Shamrock, McLean, Alanreed, Jericho, Groom, Lark, Conway, Amarillo, Bushland, Wildorado, Vega, Adrain, and Glenrio, Texas.

Historic Tower Service Station and U-Drop Inn on Route 66, 1936:
The building housing the U-Drop Inn restaurant and the Tower Service Station was constructed on Route 66 in 1936 by J.M. Tindall and R.C. Lewis for $23,000. Mr. John Nunn owned and operated in the U-Drop Inn. The Tower Service Station (Conoco gas) was owned and operated by W.C. Tennison. The building is now owned by the City of Shamrock and has been beautifully restored. It now houses the Shamrock Economic Development Corporation and the Shamrock Chamber of Commerce. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm. The building is located at the intersection of U.S. 83 and Route 66 which is East 12th Street or Bill Mack Boulevard. 101 East 12th Street.(806) 256-2501.
 
Pioneer West Museum:  
The museum features 25 rooms with exhibits depicting the history of Shamrock and Wheeler County. Exhibits include a pioneer kitchen, Quanah Parker information, dentist and physician offices, a Fort Elliot display, Great Plains Indians displays, cowboy artifacts, pioneer weapons, farming and ranching equipment, a general store, a schoolroom and a parlor. It is located in the 1925 Reynolds Hotel which was built by Attorney Marion Reynolds between 1925 and 1928. Open 9am-3pm; closed for lunch. (806) 256-3941. 204 North Madden Street.
 
Texas Theater:
The theater features the Texas Panhandle’s largest screen, hi definition, digital, satellite and 3-D presentations. Movies are shown on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, and on Sundays at 2pm. (806) 202-3039. Movie Recording: (806) 256-1212. Email  
 
Shamrock Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, fax and copy machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 1pm-5m. (806) 256-3921. 712 North Main Street.
 
Annual Shamrock St. Patrick's Day Celebration, Weekend closest to March 17th:
This two day event began in 1938. Activities include live music, Irish food, arts and crafts vendors, a parade, a banquet, a pageant, and more. This event is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce. (806) 256-2501.  
 
Annual Irish Craftfest, Oct:
This event is open on Saturday, 9am-6pm; Sun, 12pm-4pm. It is held at the Shamrock Community Center at 911 North Main Street. (806) 256-3301.  
 
Big Vern's Steakhouse:
The restaurant is famous for its chicken fried steak and its delicious steaks. (806) 256-2088. 200 East 12th Street. Reviews