Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 98
Nearby
Towns
Mico, Texas
null
Mico Texas History:
Founded in 1911, Mico was originally spelled MICO after the Medina Irrigation Company who built Medina Dam and Lake Medina. The post office was established in 1911, and closed in 1967; mail is routed through Castroville. The town’s economy is supported by the services its residents provide to Medina Lake visitors. The town is unincorporated. Mico is located on Lake Medina just east of the main dam on FM 471, 25 miles southeast of Bandera, 8 miles southeast of Lakehills, 15.7 miles south of Pipe Creek, 32.6 miles southwest of Boerne, 20 miles southwest of Helotes, 35 miles northwest of San Antonio, 16.8 miles northwest of Castroville, 10 miles northwest of Rio Medina, and 32.7 miles northeast of Hondo, Texas.
 
Historic Medina Dam, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Henri Castro, who colonized this area in the 1840s, envisioned irrigated farms along the Medina River. The project was delayed, however, until after the turn of the century, when Dr. Fred Stark Pearson, an internationally known engineer, persuaded British investors to finance construction of a dam at this site. Completed in 1912, Medina Dam was hailed as the largest in Texas and the fourth largest in the United States. Limestone boulders from a nearby quarry added bulk to the massive concrete structure. Four miles downstream, a small diversion dam conducted water into a system of irrigation canals. Gravitational force delivered the water to fields. The outbreak of World War I (1914) disrupted ties with British investors. Seeking new capital, Dr. Pearson and his wife left for England in 1915 on the "Lusitania" and were killed when a German submarine torpedoed the ship. The irrigation network created by Medina Dam brought new prosperity to this region. Vegetables raised in irrigated fields became a valuable crop. Water and electricity were made available to rural residents. In 1925 voters established the Bexar, Medina and Atascosa Counties Water Improvement District No. 1 to manage the project.” The marker is located on dam walkover in Mico.
 
Historic Mountain Valley, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Established in 1854 by 16 families of Mormons under the leadership of Lyman Wight (1796-1858). They abandoned their homes and mills in 1858 as the result of Indian depredations. Their lands are now beneath the waters of Medina Lake.” The marker is located on top of Medina Dam.
 
Quihi Gun Club & Dance Hall and Photos, Quihi, TX:
The Quihi Schuetzen (shooting) Verein (club) was organized on Quihi Creek on May 26, 1890 as protection from Indian attacks; it is now called the Quihi Gun Club, and is one of the oldest social clubs in the country with over 600 members. The flooding of Elm and Quihi Creeks washed the buildings away three times before the current building was erected on 6 foot high pillars. Dances on its wooden dance floor are held the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. The club also has a shooting stand for members, and huge barbecue pits. Quihi is located on Quihi Creek at the intersection of FM 2676 and CR 4516 (Old Castroville Road), 5 miles northeast of Hondo, Texas. From U.S. 90 on the east side of Hondo, drive one mile north on FM 173. Drive approximately four miles east on FM 2676 to the Quihi Gun Club sign. (830) 426-2859. Quihi Area Map 
 
Porky's Texas Spirits Saloon, Rio Medina, TX:
The front bar is housed in a 1945 gas station; the Mayflower Dance Hall was added in the 1990s. A later remodeling job increased the size of the front bar, and added A/C and heat to the back bar and dance hall. On beautiful days, the swing-up windows are opened. Amenities include a juke box, pool tables and occasional live music. They host music and dancing on Friday and Saturday nights, except during private parties. They open daily at noon, and close at 2am on weekends, and at approximately midnight on weekdays. (830) 538-2300. 3940 FM 471 North, Rio Medina, Texas. From Castroville take FM 471 north to Rio Medina. Rio Medina Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Rio Medina Area Map 
 
Floore Country Store, 1942, Helotes, TX:
In the early 1919, Wilbert “Bert” Hileman built a dance hall and boarding house. He sold his property in 1919 when the town’s population began to decline. In 1946, the manager of San Antonio's Majestic Theatre, John T. Floore, opened John T. Floore Country Store, the world renowned dancehall which draws national music talent.Floore Country Store has hosted Texas and American music legends such as Willie Nelson, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keene, BB King, Little Richard and many more; it is known as the birthplace of Willie Nelson who immortalized John T. Floore in “Shotgun Willie.” John Floore and Willie were partners in the original Willie Nelson Music Company. The hall offers live music and dancing, and features a store and a restaurant. Floore is available for private events. The dance hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historic Landmark. Open Fri-Sat, 11am-10pm; Sun, 11am-9pm. (210) 695-8827. 14492 Old Bandera Road, Helotes, Texas 78023. From Austin, take IH-35 South to Loop 1624 (Anderson Loop north of San Antonio). Go right (west) on Loop 1604 and drive approximately 22 miles to the SH 16 (San Antonio/Bandera) exit. Go right on SH 16, and drive approximately 2.5 miles; Floore Country Store will be on your left. Helotes Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Helotes Texas Area Map
   
Leon Springs Dance Hall, 1993:
From 1993 to New Year’s Eve, 2005 when it closed, the dancehall enjoyed an influx of sold-out events including annual Labor Day and New Year's Eve parties, private parties and special bookings, and weekends that when opened to the general public, would exceed attendance expectations. In 2006, the remodeled dancehall reopened under new management. It hosts live music concerts two or three times a month. It is available for private events. (210) 698-7070. 1515 Rogers Avenue. Email
 
Rio Medina General Store, Early 1900s, Rio Medina, TX:
The store was established as the San Geronimo Store in the early 1900s; it has been in continuous operation ever since it opened. In 1908 the name was changed to Rio Medina when the U.S. post office was established in the store. The store is still the social center of the Rio Medina community. The store sells fresh and dry Alsatian sausage and parisa (made locally), homemade sandwiches, cold old-time sodas, hardware, farm and ranch supplies, antiques and collectibles, and still serves as the post office. Open Mon-Sat, 8am-5:30pm; Sun, 11am-4pm. (830) 538-2441. The store is located at 3980 FM 471 North in Rio Medina, Texas. Rio Medina is located at the intersection of FM 2676 and FM 471, 22.8 miles northeast of Hondo, 7 miles north of Castroville, and 10 miles southeast of Mico, Texas. Rio Medina Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Rio Medina Area Map 
 
Annual Medina County Fair, Sept:
Activities include vendors, a barbeque cook-off, free games, a carnival, live music, antique tractors, a rodeo, a Queens Court, home arts competitions, This event is held at Hondo City Park and Fairgrounds on FM 462 North. (830) 426-5406. Email