Contact
 
 
Counties
Gregg, Harrison
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 80,455
2000 Census - 73,344
Nearby
Towns
Longview, Texas
null
Longview Texas History:
During the Civil War the rural communities of Pine Tree and Earpville were located within the current city limits of Longville. Each town had a post office. Longview was founded in the early 1870s when the Southern Pacific Railroad extended its track from Marshall in Harrison County into Gregg County. It bypassed Earpville a mile to the west where the railroad platted the town of Longview at its railroad terminus. The Longview post office was established in January 1871, the same year the town incorporated. The town quickly became a regional trading and shipping center as East Texas towns shipped their goods to Longview by wagon. Residents and businesses moved from Pine Tree and Earpville to Longview to be closer to the railroad. Of the two communities, only Pine Tree survived; it was annexed by Longview in the 1960s. In 1872, the International Railroad (later the International-Great Northern), built a line from Palestine to Longview, connecting to the Southern Pacific line approximately one mile east of the Longview depot. This railroad junction became known as Longview Junction. In 1877, the Longview and Sabine Valley Railroad built a line to the Longview Junction depot. Eventually, a short rail line was built along Fredonia and Methvin Streets connecting the Longview and Longview Junction depots and commercial centers. In 1873, Longview became the county seat of the newly formed Gregg County. After an 1877 fire destroyed many of the frame buildings in the town’s commercial center, the town rebuilt using stone and brick. Longview annexed Longview Junction in 1904. By 1920, Longview was a cotton and lumbering center with an estimated 5,713 residents. By the late 1920s, cotton prices had fallen and the timber had been depleted, but the town continued to grow partly due to the construction of U.S. 80 through town. In 1929, the Texas and Pacific Railway moved its division offices and almost 700 families to Mineola. By 1930, Longview’s population had dropped from over 7,000 to 5,036. The town escaped the worst of the economic effects of the Great Depression due to the discovery of the East Texas oilfield in the early 1930s. By 1940, it was a thriving commercial and industrial center with 750 businesses and 13,758 residents. During World War II, Harmon General Hospital, a federal hospital complex, was established just outside of Longview. After the war, Robert G. LeTourneau and other civic leaders established the LaTourneau Technical Institute at the abandoned hospital complex. Schlitz Brewery was established in Longview in 1966. It later became the Stroh Brewery, the largest brewery in Texas. By the 1990s, Longview had become an important regional industrial and medical center. Country singer Miranda Lambert was born in Longview but grew up in Lindale. Longview has the only two outdoor racquetball courts I have discovered in any Texas cities or towns. The town is billed as “The Balloon Capital of Texas.” Loop 281 encircles Longview, connecting to IH-20 at the southwest and southeast portions of town. Longview is located just north of the Sabine River at the intersections of IH-20, U.S. 259/SH 149 (Eastman Road), U.S. 80 (Marshall Avenue), SH 300 (Gilmer Road), and SH 31, 44 miles east of Lindale, 38 miles east of Tyler State Park, 59 miles southeast of Quitman, 58 miles southeast of Grand Saline, 28 miles southeast of Hawkins and Lake Hawkins, 22 miles southeast of Big Sandy, 12 miles southeast of Gladewater and Lake Gladewater, 8 miles southeast of White Oak, 59 miles southeast of Mount Pleasant, 55 miles southeast of Lake Bob Sandlin, 43 miles southeast of Pittsburg, 28.5 miles southeast of Gilmer, 41 miles south of Daingerfield and Daingerfield State Park, 38 miles southwest of Lake O’ the Pines, 39 miles southwest of Jefferson, 43.7 miles southwest of Uncertain and Caddo Lake, 38.4 miles southwest of Karnack, 23 miles southwest of Marshall, 45 miles west of Waskom and the Louisiana-Texas State border, 38 miles northwest of Carthage, 26.7 miles northwest of Martin Creek Lake State Park, 21.6 miles northwest of Tatum, 30.7 miles northeast of Henderson, 41.8 miles northeast of Whitehouse and Tyler Lake, 37.5 miles northeast of Tyler, 24 miles northeast of New London, 23.7 miles northeast of Overton, and 12 miles northeast of Kilgore, Texas.
 
Heritage Plaza & Photos and Downtown Historical Area:
The plaza is located on the former site of one of Conrad Hilton’s first hotels. Twenty individual brick wall panels feature markers depicting the history of Gregg County and Longview during the first 100 years from 1870 to 1970. A time capsule was buried in the plaza; it will be opened in 2099. Tyler Street is the east to west dividing line of Longview’s original 100 acres. Center and Fredonia Streets divide the area north to south. Tyler Street has been renovated block by block. A clock tower was erected in the center to commemorate the first 100 acres. The Longview downtown historical and courthouse area is roughly bounded by South Street, Whaley Street, Green Street and North Horaney Street. A self-guided walking/driving tour map is available from various merchants, restaurants and the Gregg County Historical Museum at 214 North Fredonia Street. Heritage Plaza is located at the corner of Methvin and Green Streets.
 
Gregg County Courthouse, 1932:
The brick, terra cotta and marble courthouse was designed in art deco style by architects Voelcker & Dixon. A Confederate statue is located on the courthouse grounds. The 2010 Gregg County Census was 121,730. (903) 236-8420. 101 East Methvin, Longview, TX 75601. Email