2010 Census - 5,335
2000 Census - 5,433
Livingston, Texas
Livingston Texas History: 
In 1835, Moses L. Choate acquired land in the area. In 1839, he surveyed a townsite he named Springfield. When Polk County was formed in 1846, the new county seat was to be located near the geographic center of the county near Springfield. Choate donated more than 100 acres for the townsite on the condition it become the Polk County seat. The Livingston post office was established in 1847, and named after Choate’s home town of Livingston, Tennessee. During the town’s early years the area was primarily agricultural with corn and cotton being the main crops. The 1880 construction of the Houston East and West Texas Railway through the town allowed lumbering to become the major industry, though the town continued to be a trading center for area farmers. The population grew from 135 in 1880 to 1,024 in 1900. A fire destroyed much of Livingston in 1902; a brick factory was built shortly after the fire and new buildings were constructed of brick. Livingston incorporated in 1902. Over the next 6 years the town received telephone service, an electric plant, and service from two more railroads. In 1917, SH 35 (now U.S. 59) was built. Oil was discovered in 1932; by 1936 there were 93 producing wells at the Livingston field 10 miles south of town. Today oil and gas operations and truck farming contribute to the town’s economy; Livingston is a leading producer of lumber and Christmas Trees. The nearby impoundment of Lake Livingston in 1969 added tourism to the town’s economic base. The Alabama-Coushatta Indian tribe is one of three recognized Indian tribes in Texas. The reservation is located east of Livingston near Alto, Texas. Livingston is billed as the “Pine Cone Capital of Texas.” Livingston is located at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. Business 59 (Washington Avenue) SH 146 (Houston Street), U.S. 190 (Church Street), and FM 1316, 43 miles east of Huntsville, 23 miles southeast of Point Blank, 14.6 miles southeast of Onalaska, 70 miles southeast of Crockett, 40 miles southeast of Groveton, 46 miles southwest of Lufkin, 21.5 miles southwest of Corrigan, 15.7 miles southwest of Moscow, 42 miles southwest of Colmesneil, 32 miles southwest of Woodville, 64 miles northwest of Kountze, 7.8 miles north of Goodrich, 51 miles northeast of Conroe, 49 miles northeast of Willis and Lake Conroe, and 28.6 miles northeast of Cleveland, Texas. 
Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation & Campground:
This Indian tribe is a combination of two tribes, the Alabama, and the Coushatta; they were not originally from Texas, but were forced to move here. Their 4,593 acre reservation was established in the 1850s in the Big Thicket forest north of the Big Sandy Creek Unit of the National Big Thicket Preserve. Facilities include a Cultural Center, Living Village, a restaurant, the 26 acre Lake Tombigbee campgrounds, trails, and a lake for swimming and fishing. The campground features a pavilion, paddleboat and canoe rentals, firewood for sale, and fishing (no license required), primitive campsites, RV sites with full hookups (or electricity and water), fire rings, picnic tables and a BBQ grill, restrooms and a bath house, and cabins with air conditioning and a kitchenette or full kitchen. Special events include the summertime Beyond the Sundown outdoor show, and the annual June Pow-Wow, an event offering colorful dances and full Indian dress. They no longer operate the tours, the museum or gift shop. In 2016, the tribe ordered 365 electronic gaming machines (bingo) to be placed in the renovated lodge. The tribe expects the gambling operations will open in the spring of 2016. The reservation is #018 on the Big Thicket Birding Loop, and has active colonies of the Red Cockaded Woodpecker. The reservation is closed December through February. (936) 563-1100. (936) 563-1131. Campground Reservations: (936) 563-1121 or (936) 926-9038. The reservation is located at 571 Park Road 56, Livingston, TX 77351. Email  Facebook
Polk County Courthouse, 1923:
The concrete and brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architects McLelland and Fink. The 1905 courthouse annex (Campbell-Forman Building) is located on the courthouse grounds. The 2010 Polk County census was 45,413. (936) 327-6813. 101 West Church Street.
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
Livingston WPA Post Office Murals, 1941:
Two WPA post office murals are located at the Livingston Police Department. The “Landscape Mural” and the “Buffalo Hunting” murals were painted by T. Van Soelen in 1941. (936) 327-3117. 208 West Church Street.
Polk County Memorial Museum:
Exhibit Room 1 features exhibits depicting the chronological evolution of the county including prehistoric times, Native Americans, pioneers, farm life, river boats, the timber industry, the Civil War and more. Exhibit Room 2 features exhibits depicting the social development of the county including churches, schools, and government. The Main Street exhibit features old photographs and other exhibits. The early days in downtown Livingston room feature many vintage photos. The museum operates a genealogy resource area. Picnic tables and the W.T. Carter Lumber Co. Engine #5 are located in Heritage Park, adjacent to the museum. The museum is managed by the Polk County Historical Commission. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. Admission is free. (936) 327-8192. The museum is located in the Webster house at 514 West Mill Street.  
Fain Theater, Late 1940s:
One goes to this theater because it is old and quaint. (936) 327-4711. 113 E. Park Street. Reviews 
Livingston Municipal Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sundays. (936) 327-4252. 601 W. Church Street. Email