Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 26,521
2000 Census - 7,596
Nearby
Towns
Leander, Texas
null
Leander Texas History:
The Leander-Cedar Park area has been inhabited for over 10,000 years. In the 1930s, Indian kitchen middens were discovered and were estimated to be over 9,000 years old. In 1983, the Leanderthal Lady was discovered by TX-DOT archeologists; the age of her remains has been estimated to be between 10,000 and 13,000 years. The City of Leander was established in 1882 when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad, a mile to the west, and built a station at the site of present day Leander. The railroad began selling lots and named the new town Leander. The town grew rapidly as businesses and residents of Bagdad moved to be closer to the railroad. Early industries included cotton, ranching, and the production of cedar fence posts. Due to its proximity to the Austin area, the town began to grow rapidly in the early 1960s. Leander incorporated in 1978. Leander is served by the Capital Metro rail and bus service. Leander is located on the northern border of Cedar Park at the intersections of U.S. 183, the U.S. 183A Toll Road, FM 2243 and CR 278 (Bagdad Road), 26 miles northeast of Lakeway and Lake Travis, 17 miles northeast of Lago Vista and the Balcones Canyonlands NWR, 41.7 miles east of Marble Falls, 42 miles southeast of the City of Buchanan Dam and Lake Buchanan, 28.8 miles southeast of Burnet, 18 miles southeast of Bertram, 8.6 miles southeast of Liberty Hill, 41 miles southwest of Salado, 37 miles southwest of Granger, 10 miles southwest of Georgetown, 27 miles northwest of Austin, 14 miles northwest of Round Rock, and 6 miles northwest of Cedar Park, Texas.
 
Future Veterans Park, 3.3 Acres:
Amenities will be a pond, a veteran’s memorial, a walk of honor, and a Veterans Memorial Wall. The ground breaking ceremony was held in November, 2014. The park is located behind the public library (1011 South Bagdad Road) and adjacent to the Mason Homestead. (512) 528-9909.
 
Historic Leanderthal Lady, 1983 Discovery:
In January 1983, the well preserved skeleton of the Leanderthal Lady (LeAnn) and artifacts from her paleo-American culture were discovered between Leander and Cedar Park (closer to Cedar Park) by Texas Highways and Public Transportation Department archeologists who were probing an Indian campsite lying within the department’s surveys for the extension of a FM 1431 near Brushy Creek. LeAnn is thought to have been between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of her death. Carbon dating suggests she lived 10,000-13,000 years ago. At the time of the discovery, her site was one of the earliest intact burial sites in the United States. The archeological site is not open to the public The remains are located at the Texas Archeological Research Laboratory in Austin. The Williamson County Museum maintains control over the use and reproduction rights for the photographs of the LeAnn. The Williamson County Museum is located at 716 S. Austin Avenue in Georgetown. (512) 943-1670.
 
Leanderthal Lady, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On Dec. 29, 1982, Texas Highway Department archeologists uncovered the skeleton of a pre-historic human female at the Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Site (approx. 6 mi. SE). Because of the proximity of the grave site to the town of Leander, the skeleton became known as the Leanderthal Lady. Carbon testing indicates the woman lived 10-13,000 years ago. She was about 30 years old at the time of death and measured 5' 3 in height. As one of the earliest intact burials uncovered in the United States, the site is a valuable source of information on the nation's prehistoric past.” The marker is located on the south side of RM 1431, approximately 1 mile west of Parmer Lane.