Contact
 
 
County
Lavaca
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 886
2000 Census - 944
Nearby
Towns
Moulton, Texas
null
Moulton Texas History:
Moulton was established two miles north of its current location in the mid-1850s. The Moulton post office was established in 1855. In 1875, the town had the reputable Moulton Male and Female Institute, several stores, a church, a wagon and blacksmith shop and an Odd Fellows hall. In 1877, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built through the area two miles north of Moulton; the train station was called Topeka. Gradually the town’s residents moved to the railroad location. By the late 1890s Old Moulton was virtually abandoned and the station community had taken the name Moulton. A significant number of Germans and Czechs had settled in the community by the late 1890s. In 1914, Moulton had Lutheran and Catholic churches, a bank, an opera house, and telephone service.Moulton incorporated in 1940. The town’s quaint storefronts are reminiscent of the late 1800s, complete with porches and benches.Moulton is located near the Lavaca River at the intersections SH 95, FM 1680 and FM 532, 10.5 miles north of Shiner, 29 miles northeast of Gonzales, 42 miles southeast of Luling, 56 miles southeast of Lockhart, 18.5 miles south of Muldoon, 8.5 miles south of Flatonia, 55 miles southwest of Ellinger, 37 miles southwest of La Grange, 21 miles southwest of Schulenburg, 24 miles northwest of Sweet Home, and 25 miles northwest of Hallettsville, Texas.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services. Photos  
 
St. Cyril and Methodius Church, 1919, Painted 1945, Shiner, Texas:
The church was designed by architect James Wahrenberger; and built by builders V. Falbo and M. Deodati. It was painted by artist Edmond Fatjo who trained at the Royal Art Academy in Berlin. Basically rectangular in plan, the church is constructed of red brick and accented with pinnacles and buttresses, by the use of cut stone, and by various geometric patterns done in buff and gray brick. An arcaded portico runs across the front of the building, forming a support for the soaring, square tower with octagonal spire which rises above the entrance.Mass held. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 594-3836. The church is located at 306 South Avenue F, Shiner, TX 77984. Mass Schedule
 
Moulton Public Library and Museum:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also features extensive collections of historic photographs and documents related to the strong Czech-German heritage of the city. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.