Contact
 
 
County
Lavaca
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 165
Nearby
Towns
Moravia, Texas
null
Moravia Texas History:
Anglo settlers lived in the area from the early 1850s until approximately 1865. In 1865, Moravian Czechs settled the area. In 1881, Ignac Jalufka and James Holub established a store in Moravia, and a settlement developed around the store. Businesses included a blacksmith shop, a gin and a school. The Moravia post office operated from 1882 to 1900. The Ascension of Our Lord Catholic Church, one of Texas’ famous painted churches, was built in 1912. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. During the 1980s residents in this community were mostly Czechs, Germans, and Anglos, and Czech was still used in the recitation of the Rosary and the singing of hymns. Most of the Czech residents speak both Czech and English. The main industry is agriculture and cattle ranching. Moravia is located at the intersection of CR 229 and FM 957, a short distance north of FM 532, 10 miles southwest of Schulenburg, 14.2 miles northwest of Hallettsville, 21 miles northeast of Shiner, 11.5 miles northeast of Moulton, and 15.6 miles southeast of Flatonia, Texas. 
 
Historic Site of Moravia School, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Many Czech and German immigrants settled in this area of South Texas in the 1870s. Moravia was a Czech farming community that included homes, a Catholic church, businesses, and a school. The first school in the Moravia community was a one-room structure located about one mile northwest of this site. Students attended classes on a tuition basis. The one-room schoolhouse was destroyed by fire in 1878, and students temporarily attended school in a former store building (about 1 mile north). Land at this site was acquired in 1885. Moravia School, a two-story schoolhouse with two classrooms, was erected in 1887. Classes were conducted primarily in the Czech language until 1895. Additional land acquisitions in 1908 and 1922 enlarged the school property, and in 1923 materials from the 1887 structure were used in the construction of a larger school facility with four classrooms. Serving students from a large rural area, the Moravia School continued to grow as other rural schools declined. Students participated in scholastic, literary, and athletic activities. The Moravia School was closed following the 1971-72 school year and was consolidated with the Hallettsville School System.”  
 
Historic Moravia General Store, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Ignac (J. E.) Jalufka and Jakob Hollub brought their families to northern Lavaca County in 1874, followed by several other Czech families. Founded in 1881, Moravia was so named to honor Moravia, Czechoslovakia, the settlers' homeland. The first commercial structures here were a blacksmith shop, cotton gin, and school. In 1889 Jalufka built a two-story frame saloon on this site. Grocery and mercantile supplies took up the rear half of the ground floor; the saloon was located in the front. The second floor served as a dance hall. Masquerades, seasonal celebrations and other events made it a popular gathering place for the entire community. From 1891 to 1900 Jalufka also was United States Postmaster for the area, operating the post office from his store. The saloon was popular and successful until 1920, the year that J. E. Jalufka died and prohibition was passed into law. Agnes Jalufka inherited the business, and sold it to Annie Chromcak and Lillian Blahuta in 1922. Annie Chromcak sold her interest to Lillian and Frank Blahuta the following year. In 1930, a new dance hall was erected across the road. The second story was torn down, leaving the one-story Moravia General Store. The new dance hall across the road was torn down in 1950. The Moravia store remained in the Blahuta family until 1979. In 1990 the store was closed for the first time in 109 years, but it was reopened in 1996. The Moravia General Store remains a link to the past and to the spirit of the pioneers of Lavaca County.” 
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
Ascension of Our Lord Catholic Church, 1912:
The church was designed in late gothic revival style by architects Koch and Sons, and was painted by Fred Donecker. It is in the Diocese of Victoria. It is open to the public by special arrangement only. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 798-5888. The church is located at 11134 FM 957, Schulenburg, Texas mail. (361) 798-4828. 
 
SPJST Lodge 23:
These lodges were founded July 1, 1897 in La Grange, Texas, by early Czechoslovakian pioneers as a fraternal benefit society to ensure the financial security of its members. SPJST stands for Slavanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, or Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas. These lodges are located all across Texas. Members sponsor many family activities and community service projects. Family activities include musical and dance groups, dances, picnics, games, contests, summer camps, tournaments, and youth activities. From SH 77 between Hallettsville and Schulenburg, take FM 532 West 4 miles to Moravia. Go right on FM 957 North and drive 1 mile to the lodge on the right.
 
Moravia Store Dance Hall, 1889, Moravia, Texas:
Built to house the two story Moravia General Store and Tavern in 1889, this country tavern/dance hall is still a favorite community gathering spot. The hall still retains the store’s original bar, wooden floor and display cases. The walls are covered with old photographs, license plates, serving trays and soft drink advertisements. The old meat market section of the building now houses the pool table. A red caboose located adjacent to the old store is filled with Coca-Cola memorabilia; it is available for parties. The store/saloon offers dances with live music (a mix of polka and country) at least once a month on a Friday or Saturday night. Admission to dances is usually free. It is well known for serving good hamburgers, fries and onion rings on Fridays and Saturdays. Monday night is open jam night from 6pm-9pm. The dance hall and patio may be reserved for private parties. The store opens at 3pm daily; closed Tuesday and Sunday. Call for dance times or for booking. The hall is owned by Henrietta and Frankie Filip. Opens at 3pm; closed Tuesday and Sunday. (979) 562-2217. The store is located at 11501 FM 957 in Moravia, Texas, 13.5 miles southwest of Schulenburg, Texas.  @MoraviaStore 
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook 
 
South Texas Wheel Spinners & Crank Twisters Moravia Festival, May:
For information regarding this antique tractor show contact Mark Hermes at Chappell Antique Tractors.  (361) 772-4619. 3378 FM 2616, Hallettsville.