Milam Texas History:
In 1828, the settlement of Red Mound was established on the site. When the town temporarily became the county seat of Sabine County in 1836, the name was changed to Milam in honor of Benjamin Rush Milam, a famous person of the Texas Revolution. Milam’s economy benefits from its located on the Toledo Bend Reservoir and the resulting marinas and other recreational facilities located nearby. The Milam Settlers Day Organization hosts annual activities in the town. Milam is located in the Sabine National Forest just west of the Toledo Bend Reservoir and Pendleton Bridge, at the intersections of SH 87, SH 21, SH 101 and FM 3121, 54 miles northeast of Lufkin, 29 miles northeast of Broaddus and the Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Angelina National Forest, 49.6 miles southeast of Joaquin, 36 miles southeast of Center, 19 miles southeast of San Augustine, 6.3 miles southeast of Geneva, 18 miles northeast of Pineland and the Moore Plantation WMA, 33 miles southwest of Brookland and the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 48 miles northeast of Jasper, 7.2 miles north of Hemphill, and 14 miles west of the Texas-Louisiana border.
Pendleton Bridge, Milam & Pendleton, TX:
This bridge is located on Texas SH 21/Louisiana SH 6. It spans the Toledo Bend Reservoir between Texas (near Hemphill), and Many, Louisiana. A Louisiana Visitors Center is located on the east side of the bridge. Boat ramps, marinas, lodging, restaurants, grocery stores and other amenities are located in this area.
Historic McMahan's Chapel:
In 1831, Samuel Doak McMahan moved his family from Tennessee and settled approximately 11 miles south of San Augustine. In 1832, Rev. James P. Stevenson, a representative of the Mississippi conference of the Methodist Church, was posted to Natchitoches, Louisiana, across the Sabine River from Texas, and a few miles from McMahan’s farm. At this time, Texas was under the governance of Mexico and protestant services were forbidden in Texas. In 1833, McMahan and a group of Texans invited Stevenson to preach a sermon in Texas, and assured him of their protection. Stevenson agreed and held a two-day meeting in a private home near the site of present Milam. McMahan asked Stevenson to hold additional services at his farm. Stevenson did so and returned several more times during the year. In September of that year, the group formed a “religious society” which was technically not a church. The society had 48 members, and McMahan served as the "class leader." James Stephenson’s successor, Rev. Henry Stephenson, recognized the society in McMahan’s home, which became known as McMahan’s Chapel. In 1838, the Mississippi Conference created the Texas Mission District with Rev. Littleton Fowler as leader. Fowler lived near McMahan’s home and helped build a log church. In 1956, a small brick church was constructed. McMahan, Fowler and other early pioneers of Texas Methodism are buried in the church cemetery. From Milam take SH 21 west 9.8 miles to Spur 35 (McMahan's Chapel Road). Turn Left on Spur 35 and go 2 miles to the cemetery and Chapel on the Left. The chapel is located 12 miles northwest of Milam and approximately 12 miles southeast of San Augustine, Texas.
Historic Gaines-Oliphint House Museum, 1818:
This double pen planked dog trot house is the oldest standing hand hewn log structure in the Texas. It is thought to have been built in 1818 on the James Gaines plantation in the Gaines Ferry settlement on the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historical Trail. Sam Houston, Davy Crockett and Stephen F. Austin were provided lodging in this house. An ancient white oak tree is located on the property. The Gaines Ferry site was inundated by the waters of the Toledo Bend Reservoir in the late 1960s. This building is the only surviving building from the settlement. In 1984, Mrs. Tom Foster donated the house and two acres for the purpose of historic restoration. In 1999, the Sons of the Republic gave this house to the James Frederick Gomer Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas who is in the process of raising restoration funds. The largest fundraiser is the annual Pioneer Trade Day held the third Saturday in April. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.From the junction of SH 21 and SH 87 in Milam, Texas, go east on SH 21 for 6.4 miles to the subdivision. Go north on Cedar Grove Road and drive 0.1 miles to the stop sign. Turn right on Harbor Boulevard and proceed 0.2 miles to the Gaines-Oliphint House on the right. Email Hemphill Chapter
Historic Causey House Museum, 1830:
This restored one story cabin houses a museum featuring period furniture and accessories. It was moved to its present location in El Camino Park at the corner of SH 21/103 and U.S. 87. (409) 625-3144.
C.A. Nethery Store (Now Called Nethery Antiques), 1917:
This is the oldest continually operating business in Sabine County. The building features its original fixtures, shelves and wood burning stove. A monthly outdoor flea market is held the 3rd
Saturday of each month. Today, C. A. Nethery Hardware is owned by Susan Mills Nethery, Ellen Beall Melton, and Laura Greer Tichnell and is kept open largely because of its historical value to the county. Open Fri-Sat, 10am-4pm; Sunday from 1:30pm-4pm. The store is located on SH 21.
Pioneer Trade Day, 3rd Saturday in April:
This event benefits the restoration of the historic Gaines-Oliphint House. Activities include food and other vendors, historic exhibits, live music, and costumed participants demonstrating pioneer skills, such as quilting, weaving, soap making, carving and blacksmithing. The event is held at the Gaines-Oliphint House. From the junction of SH 21 and SH 87 in Milam, Texas, go east on SH 21 for 6.4 miles to the subdivision. Go north on Cedar Grove Road and drive 0.1 miles to the stop sign. Turn right on Harbor Boulevard and proceed 0.2 miles to the Gaines-Oliphint House on the right. Email Hemphill Chapter
Annual Milam Settler's Day, the Saturday Prior to Thanksgiving, Nov:
Activities include food vendors, arts and crafts, entertainment and music. This event centers on the Historic Causey House Museum in El Camino Park at the corner of SH 21/103 and U.S. 87. (409) 625-3144.